I got a rock

In generel no, but some armies however still get a raw deal compared to rest. If only Thorgram's bird was optional equipment, Reaper could stop a lot of mutterings into innocent ale tankards.

Then they might as well do that for Naomi as well. Does anyone use Naomi?

Back to the original topic: Reven already have 3 warlords if you count <nothing> as being the Noghra warlord. Any ideas on what could be a third Necropolis warlord? I've got nothing (and my guess is that the Reaper folks also couldn't think of something else that would fit after a melee warlord and a mage warlord)...

Rich

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think any one faction is getting a raw deal. There are points both good and bad in all the factions. So The dwarf king can pick off elven archers with certainty. He doesn't have to be on the front line at all times. The other Dwarf guy is a Berzerker- light armor, quick, and really deadly. Besides, with the dwarven Bane ability, yall don't have to kill stuff over and over.

The factions don't need to all have 3 warlords each either. 3 Warlords just means more options in 1500+ games. You can't ask for 10 unique factions and then complain that they aren't all the same. They all have their strength and weakness', its that give and take that makes Warlord such a blast to play.

I would field Naomi, but only if I was looking at stretching my force up to 3500-4000 points :) I think I can get up to 3000 without the need to waste the points. Likely the same goes for Greka, although I might consider using her at a lower points tally.

Reven could easily have an Ogre Warlord, their fluff seems to suggest there are alot of Ogres in the Great Reven. So long as walked rode a fine line, I think you could make a model different enough to Varaug to make them both nice options (Varaug would undoubtably be more cost effective), and somewhat different to eachother even if they were both built for melee. If you wanted to make a real difference between Varaug and an Ogre warlord, the Ogre could carry a small Ballista giving him a blowthrough attack or something. He'd be expensive.

As for an Undead Warlord, a Wraith, Spectre, Ghost, Shadow would work, and all could easily be different than Judas. A Non-Corporeal Warlord with First Strike. Expensive yes, but tactically would be entirely different than Judas.

A Ghast or Wight Warlord with Butcher.

THere are alot of possiblities, Judas is a straight up no frills melee Walord. Another Warlord might have some defects, Lower #MA, MAV, or DV and totaly different special abilities that make up for it.

Even a more powerful Human Necromancer with their own sub-faction might be alright.

Give the folks at Reaper more credit, they are imaginative people, they could come up with alot of other Warlords I'm sure.

I would field Naomi, but only if I was looking at stretching my force up to 3500-4000 points :) I think I can get up to 3000 without the need to waste the points. Likely the same goes for Greka, although I might consider using her at a lower points tally.

Reven could easily have an Ogre Warlord, their fluff seems to suggest there are alot of Ogres in the Great Reven. So long as walked rode a fine line, I think you could make a model different enough to Varaug to make them both nice options (Varaug would undoubtably be more cost effective), and somewhat different to eachother even if they were both built for melee. If you wanted to make a real difference between Varaug and an Ogre warlord, the Ogre could carry a small Ballista giving him a blowthrough attack or something. He'd be expensive.

As for an Undead Warlord, a Wraith, Spectre, Ghost, Shadow would work, and all could easily be different than Judas. A Non-Corporeal Warlord with First Strike. Expensive yes, but tactically would be entirely different than Judas.

A Ghast or Wight Warlord with Butcher.

THere are alot of possiblities, Judas is a straight up no frills melee Walord. Another Warlord might have some defects, Lower #MA, MAV, or DV and totaly different special abilities that make up for it.

Even a more powerful Human Necromancer with their own sub-faction might be alright.

Give the folks at Reaper more credit, they are imaginative people, they could come up with alot of other Warlords I'm sure.

How about a mounted warlord 4 any1 other than crusaders?, even a monster rider?How about a crypt bat ::P: or a gargoyle 4 necropolis?or a beastman or troll 4 reven? a demon 4 darkspawn? hehehe the possibilities are many 4 subtle variation and each side cant have all IMHO

Trolls are unlikely as they are affiliated with the Reptus far more than the Reven, and appear to be quite dim-witted (the average one having the Beast ability).

Nefsokar also have a mounted Warlord. Truth be told I see them as being fairly limited unless you intend to field Cavalry as part of their troop, otherwise unless you are willing to send them out alone ahead of the bulk of your force you are giving up alot of what you paid more (high movement). Bringing out a Cavalry Warlord essentially means you have to bring out a Cavalry unit to go with them (neither Deathriders nor Goblin Beastriders really seem appropriate).

We might see Monster riders at some point, we have the Bear Rider, and that is pretty similar. It is a possibility, but you need to remember unlike GW games where leader models can act alone, Warlords activate as part of a unit. Running aroun don a monster might leave the rest of the leaders troop out of coherancy. I'd say we're alot more likely to see this sort of thing as a so in this game.

Reven could easily have an Ogre Warlord, their fluff seems to suggest there are alot of Ogres in the Great Reven...

There are no Ogre soldiers, so not an option. (I assume we are talking about just adding a warlord and not a whole bunch of other models.) Beastmen are fully contained in the Bull Orc sub-faction, so dead end there.

As for an Undead Warlord, a Wraith, Spectre, Ghost, Shadow would work, and all could easily be different than Judas...

All of the non-corporeals are in the Crypt Legion sub-faction. I guess they could make that sub-faction have 2 warlords, but that would be a first. Judas' retinue is vampires and crypt bats. Almost everything else is in the Crypt Legion. There isn't enough left over to make another sub-faction.

I don't think they could come up with more warlords without adding a bunch of supporting models.

The factions don't need to all have 3 warlords each either. 3 Warlords just means more options in 1500+ games. You can't ask for 10 unique factions and then complain that they aren't all the same. They all have their strength and weakness', its that give and take that makes Warlord such a blast to play.

I am not complaining that the factions aren't all the same. I am just stating that some factions get better values for their points than other factions. There is a difference between having strengths and weakness (variety that is good for the game) and having good or bad value for the points (variety that is bad for the game).

Rich

I don't think they could come up with more warlords without adding a bunch of supporting models.

You never stipulated as such, the game will eventually either expand beyond Taltos, or explore the armies of Taltos in further depth, I'm betting on the latter, at which time it will be more likely we see more Warlords for certain factions.

Neek can lead Bull Orcs all on his lonesome with no other Goblins in sight, I see no reason but close mindedness that an Ogre leader couldn't lead Reven troops simply because their arn't other Ogres to fight beside him. A sub-faction could easily turn Braug into an Elite model or an adept model that could be taken along side such a Warlord (perhaps costing 2 soldier slots much like a Cavalry model).

Likewise not every Warlord has a sub-faction nor needs to be part of a sub-faction. Just because some Non-corporeal models are aligned with Moandain doesn't mean there arn't others who show strict loyalty to Judas, or a seperate allegience altogether. Warlord is not as white and black as you make it out to be.

You're etitled to your own vision of what Warlord is, but rest assured many of us see things in a very different light.

I see no reason but close mindedness

Okay, This isn't a dig at anyone at all because I'm the guiltiest of all of being so. Nowhere in the rules for building troops is race mentioned. Goblins can lead bull orcs, elves can lead half-elves, Lupines can lead crossbowmen and so on. Many of us, my self included get themes into our heads and overlook the rules. Not that themes are bad, they give the game great flavor.

William

:blues:

Okay, This isn't a dig at anyone at all because I'm the guiltiest of all of being so. Nowhere in the rules for building troops is race mentioned. Goblins can lead bull orcs, elves can lead half-elves, Lupines can lead crossbowmen and so on. Many of us, my self included get themes into our heads and overlook the rules. Not that themes are bad, they give the game great flavor.

This past Thursday I saw a unit of 4 Lupines being led by Artemis the sgt. I saw nothing wrong that! ::):

Wild Bill :blues: