Sign in to follow this  
Hells_Clown

Warlord bases

Does anyone else have trouble fitting Warlord figures to their bases?  I've had several now that don't seem to fit well.  My most recent one, 14037: Templar Lightbringer, I totally removed the peg and super glued him directly to the base and he's still not even!  I may have to get some of that putty and start filling in gaps by hand.  

It's rather disappointing when a company that gets such high praise as Reaper makes errors like this that bring down the quality of their product.  Maybe the molds need to be checked, reworked, something?

Personally, I think the Warlord bases are too "thick".  I've been basing mine on the standard "GW" sized base, and by doing so, the Warlord figs don't "tower over" my DHA and other figs so much.  (I'll worry about base size issues when the rules come out I guess.)   :p

As I've posted at length elsewhere on the boards, I go a step beyond that, and use 1" squares of sheet metal for basing pretty much everything now.  It's heavy, it's low to the ground, it's cheap, and I can transport things with magnetic tape in a box.  I really don't like "Pedestal" bases.

His Reaperness, Ed Pugh, had this to say about the base sizes.

Use any base you want, cardboard, plastic, metal, as long as it is of the proper dimensions.. Now I bet you want to know that as well..

Infantry 1x1 or 25x25mm

Cav 1x2 or 25x50mm

Giant 1.5x1.5 or 40x 40mm

Monster 2x2 or 50x50mm

He didn't reveal much else, but you can see the post by clicking here.

I have had problems fitting in the slots too. My evil priest would have fit, but the snake of the base, was too close making his front raise up.  I have noticed you can buy some plain bases, so I will likely do that.  I still like the new ones over the Broccoli ones.

I've noticed that some of the slots are just a bit too thick to fit into the base, like the ones with Klocke's name on it.  I end up filing away his name to make it fit.  But at least filing is easier than sawing off a mini from a broccoli base.

Good comments! We originally had several bases done with various base details added so that people would have something more than a flat base surface to help finish the paint job off.

Are the fit problems due to this extra base detail? Is it keeping the figure from standing flat? Is it a particular detailed base or all of them? They are inserted randomly into the blister packs and if there is a bad one we can pull it out of the mix. Or if its all of them we can stop it all together and go to simple flat surface bases.

Are the tabs on the figures to thick OR/ Are the slots to thin?

Are the tabs to long?

We just started the Tab/Slot base style with the Warlord line so we are still learning here.

Sound off and let us know. It's very hard for us to get feed back in this industry until we attend the big conventions.

I've yet to have any trouble with the Warlord figures I've purchased.  They all fit into the base perfectly, with one exception, where the figure's tab was actually too small, and I needed to add putty (can't remember her name offhand - the Klocke bounty hunter with the paper and the crossbow).  As far as the height of the bases, I think they're fine as well, assuming you take that into consideration when painting/basing them.  The untextured Warlord bases are the same height as the standard GW 'slotta' bases.  The textured ones are taller, but bear in mind that once you add flock, ballast, or anything else to the GW bases they get taller.  A textured Warlord base seems to be the same height as a flocked GW base; or at least it's the same height for the materials I've been using.

I love the Warlord bases - especially the untextured ones.  Every so often I'll have one lying around, and I can use it to give one of my minis a little more 'heft' than they would have with a plastic base.

Too me, getting a mini to fit into a slotta base is part and parcel with the hobby.  It's not a big deal to me.  Snipping/filling a tab  to fit into a slot is not too much work, in my opinion.  But then , there are many who don't share my opinion.

I love the textured bases.  I still usually flock them, but on some, I paint the sculpted on texture and combine it with flock.  It's a very cool thing, IMO, that you guys have done with the bases, Ed.  You have my vote to keep up the outstanding work. :D

Yea, fitting the figs into the slots is rarely so easy.  Every figure I've had using slotted bases (GW, some of the "newer" Ral PArthas, etc) always need trimming/filling.

I've only ever gotten the textured Warlord bases so far (the one with the snake on it), and I found that the models I had needed to have their tabs "trimmed back" to fit the slot.  (The tab on the figure was longer than the slot itself.)

As Kelcore said, not a big deal in my opinion.  PArt of the package deal of using a generic base with custom minis.

I would be interested in seeing the unsculpted bases though, to get a comparison for the relative "height/thickness" of the base.  (The one with the snake on it adds a couple of mm to the height of the figure I found, throwing it out of "scale" with the DHA and my other minis.)

As for sculpted vs. plain bases, I like alot of the Warlord "specialty" bases (Lola's cross base comes immediately to mind), but as far as a 'generic base' is concerned, I flock and add rocks etc anyway, so a presculpted base is not so important to me.

my first Warlord, the miniataur, has a slot base that was so wide I ended up twisting the tab into an "s" shape to make it fit.  (base slot too wide)

the next two Warlords I painted up, the Lupines-Rager & Lord, didn't fit flush with the base.  One base was sculpted, the other plain, and the manner of the feet gave them gaps.  (sculpt issue, not base)

I have Razig, the Necromancer, Lysette, Eredein, and Gauntfield opened and not assembled.    The Necromancer is the only one with problems.  

The extra large ground contact on the necromancer combined with the details on the sculpted bases causes a poor fit.  He also has a shorter tab than the others.  (Necromancer should not have sculpted base/ tab too short)

side note on my Necromancer:  bad flash along the base interfere with the insertion, hopefully a bad cast, not a common problem.

there are the observations I have on the subject, now personal opinion, I appreciate you asking our input Ed, it means a lot.  I really enjoy getting the sculpted bases, my basing abilities are limited.  I am improving, I just really like the little details to paint too.  I'd like the option to purchase a detailed package of bases.

thanks Ed

cbs :upside:

The new decorative bases are amazing.  It's nice to have a choice to flock my base or just paint it up.  

And as for the fitting issue, it's just part of the hobby to file down or putty up the mini to make it fit.  So far, I haven't encountered anything horribly bad.  

If you're worried about the details on the bases being in the way of certain mini's, why not add more bases with variations of tiles, flagstone, dirt road kind of texture to it?  Adding more bases into the mix is a good thing, no?  And I figure that most of us would buy more than 1 mini, so if we ever encounter a base that's so detailed, it might not fit right with a certain mini, but hey, we can swap bases with another one that would fit.  Random bases baby, that's what it's all about.  It beats plain bases any day.