Starmane

Jabberwocky

Here is my first "commission" of sorts. One of my coworkers heard about my little fascination with tiny metal men and asked if I could do something for his daughter. She selected the mini and gave me the palette--pink, purple, and white. The insignia on her hindquarters is made from her initials: O.L.H.

Whew. Between this and the Crane Courtier, I am done with pink. I need to find something big and smelly, stompy, or gory to regain some testosterone.

As always, comments and critiques most welcome! The rock outcropping was fashioned from broken bits of a CD. I'll be posting a tutorial over at Lord Coldsteal's site in the next day or two if you want to see the step by step.

OliviaUniComp.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness, that is one hot pink! If I liked pink, I'd love receiving this one as a present. (Good thing it's for a little girl who *does* like pink!) Good job. The shadows are nice and subtle, as they should be on a unicorn. ::):

Now you need to do a fluffy little bunny . . . . . . . . blissfully unaware of the ogre behind it about to have himself a bunny snack. :lol: Teeheehee.

Goodness, that is one hot pink! If I liked pink, I'd love receiving this one as a present. (Good thing it's for a little girl who *does* like pink!) Good job. The shadows are nice and subtle, as they should be on a unicorn. ::):

Now you need to do a fluffy little bunny . . . . . . . . blissfully unaware of the ogre behind it about to have himself a bunny snack. :lol: Teeheehee.

OMG, now I know what do with my Hill Giant. Where'd that familiar pack go.....

great work on a simple mini, I know my daughter would love to have something like that, ha ha, unicorn check, pink check.

I picked this one or the other early DHL unicorn for her as she wanted to paint one up with ole dad sometime.

nice work, really like the way here intials are intertwined together, neat touch

RM

Hi Jaber,

I like your work on the white. did you use the puprple for the shade? I will post in a few days my last work : an angel and I had a hard time with the white (well, I used purple for the shade but I am not very fond of what I have got.).

the pink is interresting but I would have try to light it more.

Oh, sure, for a 4-year old girl... :poke:

Actually, it looks really good and smooth, especially the white. I'll chime in and ask what you used for the shadow areas. I've got some blue & white archers on the workbench, shaded with touches of the same blue, gray and Ghost White, but I'm not sure they look right.

The CD base is an interesting idea and I think you pulled it off nicely. Please tell me it was an AOL mailer CD...?

I vote for painting something big & smelly to replenish depleted testosterone levels.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! The body was initially based in VMC Light gray, shaded with VMC Neutral Gray, the highlighted with RMS Linen White, followed by a generous final highlight of VMC White. I think the purplish hue you are seeing is a function of the background color I chose.

The neon pink was a 1:2 mix of RMS Linen White to Clear Red base. It was shaded with Clear Red then 1:1 Clear Red to Clear Plum and highlighted with 1:1 Linen White to Clear Red and then finished with Linen White.