Birch seed Leaves

Jubilee

Huh? You want both the leaves and seeds to come off. You'll seperate them later.

Letting them sun dry works as well. I just hadn't found that out before I wrote the article... ;)

I had no problem getting them to dry out in my oven, and they came apart wonderfully. My problem now is getting the seeds to actually float away from the leafy parts. I can't get a wind or breeze soft enough to blow away the seeds but leave the separators, “leafy parts.” :down:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no problem getting them to dry out in my oven, and they came apart wonderfully. My problem now is getting the seeds to actually float away from the leafy parts. I can't get a wind or breeze soft enough to blow away the seeds but leave the separators, “leafy parts.” :down:

Sorry for raising the dead but...I love this tip ::D:

After I baked, I threw the pods into a sandwich bag and lightly crushed the pods to separate. Sometimes, I could pull out the stem like pulling a pin from a grenade (easier after a little kneading between the fingers).

I then made a little tray out of aluminium foil (a stiff plate really, no sides). About 8" x 8", a slight dent in the center.

I walked outside and found a spot by my house that actually didn't have any breeze and then got all peasant-y. I tossed the seeds and separators up and down into the air, think flipping stir fry in a pan. The breeze created by your flipping action was enough to get the lighter seed wings to fly. Imagine how wheat was separated from chaff, rice from its covering.

Very effective and so old school it's scary :lol: but it worked for me!

Thanks

AWhang

The saga continues...

Ever since the original article appeared and you all were posting about your success in finding these things, I was pitying myself for not being able to find them (in Southern California, no less).

Long story short, about 3 weeks ago I took a two week vacation up to Oregon to visit relatives and look around (I plan to move to Eugene/Springfield some day). Lo and behold, there is a Birch tree in my uncle's front yard! So I brought a handful of these things home with me, the whole 750 miles.

Since getting home from the vacation, I've begun taking my dog for walks at a park near my home. Boy do I feel stoopid now. This park is FULL of Birch trees! D'OH!

Moral of the story? I need to get out more... :rolleyes:

:wacko: