New to cav

demus

Hi all,

I am just starting in CAV and had a question about infantry costs.  If I want to purchase an infantry unit with one of the direct fire missles or with a mortor how do I determine their point cost?  My best guess is that I remove one of the weapons from the Heavy Infantry profile (since it says that Infantry can only have two weapons and ecm or target lock) and replace it with the cost of the new weapon.  If this is correct, then a heavy Mortor team stand would cost 102 points.  Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your help,

David

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot, I was also going to ask about the post and bead system.  I have seen some photos and read some about this, but was hoping that a game veteran (or ace) would explain this to me.

Thanks again.

1st - Welcome to CAV!

Using Army Builder a heavy infantry stand with heavy mortars costs 127 pts.

hvy inf stand with light mortar costs 89 points

""         "              AA-52 DF missile pack is 99 points.

I'm using Army Builder 'cause I can't seem to rememer where I put my JOR :blush:

I forgot, I was also going to ask about the post and bead system.  I have seen some photos and read some about this, but was hoping that a game veteran (or ace) would explain this to me.

Thanks again.

The post and bead system is for easy section identification.  As you are no doubt aware, models in CAV are grouped into sections of four models.  With the post and bead, you just make sure each section has its own color bead on the posts of the models therein.

Demus, welcome to our obsession :o)

Yes, you are correct. You take a standard stand of whichever type of infantry and you remove the weapon system(s) you wish to (by deducting their points from the stand's cost) and then you add the cost of the weapon(s) you want to add to that stand.

I don't have my JoR with me, but your numbers look right for a single mortar.

Most of us use double mortar or double missile infantry in our games. I personally have found this gives a much better chance of doing damage (and hence earning it's points back) although in the case of double mortar is can leave you unable to defensive fire, but most ppl accept this for the 'fun' of two heavy mortars :o)

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask here. We're always willing to help.

One tip I'd offer any newbie, look into purchasing a copy of Army Builder. It's a very nice app which will work out army lists and rosters for a LOT of games, and it makes CAV rosters child's play (well, almost :o)).

Thanks for your help all,

I have Army Builder and will definately download the CAV files.  Leach, when you mentioned two mortars does that mean you mounted two on a stand?  I have yet to open my mortar pack and start preping the models.

David

Yes, I have mounted two mortars to a stand of infantry. I think they work out at 133 points (don't quote me on that though) or so for them.

I find, as do most I've spoken about this with, that having two mortars increases your chances of inflicting damage.. afterall, six shots is better than three :o)

I do have some infantry with both missiles and mortars. However, these rarely see the field of battle... I definately prefer double mortars.

when you mentioned two mortars does that mean you mounted two on a stand?  I have yet to open my mortar pack and start preping the models.
Before you do this, check to see if you have enough mortar miniatures.  There's enough guys in a blister of infantry to do 3 stands worth, each w/4 men (a fireteam).  Regular infantry w/mortars come packed loose, and sometimes there's barely enough mortar figs to mount one to a base.  Other times you'll  have more than you really need.

The Heavy Inf w/mortars come cast on a sprue, and IIRC mine had 4 guys w/mortars and 8 normal H-I w/MG's and such.

Hey welcome to our addiction

" mortars, got to love them."

me personally, I have two teams (4 mortars) with 2 APCs for manueverabilty and some DF capability to equal a section. As with any config, you have to have some support, so I have the AT launcher squad set up simular (3 teams for light infantry or 2 teams for heavy infantry) for a heavy weapons section.

Now comes the departure from the norm; I use two sections of just normal infantry (maybe grenade launchers) for the sole purpose of defending the other two sections from perhaps the most under appreciated infantry killer - other infantry. plus they are pretty useful for close proximity attacks on enemy mortar teams.

PS under our house rules, total of  infantry per non-infantry tomahawk (5000 pts) can not exceed 4 sections at 1500 points. (with two mortar teams per non-infantry tomahawk). limiting perhaps, but sort of reflects the configuration of most infantry platoons in the real world.

Ok, I had to put all my figs down for a bit, but now I am back at them and still have some questions.  My Heavy Mortar pack comes with 8 mortars, 4 regular guys and three bases.  When you mention double mortar teams are you referring to 2 mortars and 2 regular guys to a base?

It was mentioned that double mortar bases do not get to return fire, does this mean I can put mortar crew and say Heavy infantry on the same base and then get return fire capabilities?

does this mean I can put mortar crew and say Heavy infantry on the same base and then get return fire capabilities
To maybe clarify what Frosch said, whether a model can take advantage of Defensive Fire depends on its weapons, not what model it is.  In your case, if your stand of infantry (or hvy inf) have 2 mortars, they have no DF weapons and therefore can't shoot back at anyone during DefFire.  If they have 1 mortar and 1 gun or missile launcher, they can shoot back w/the DF weapon, but not the mortar.

Likewise, if you were to take a CAV like the Specter and remove it's 2 DFM packs to save points (just follow me here  :;): ) then that CAV would only have IF weapons and wouldn't be able to take advantage of DefFire either.