My first castings!

Baphomet69

Not figures, but HirstArts building blocks, that's why the message is in this forum.

Anywho, I made my first castings last night. They were crap, but it was my first attempt, and I'm using Plaster-of-Paris to practice with until my dental plaster arrives next week. After all the negative comments about PoP, I'm surprised how much detail it caught on the pieces that did work out.

I did two batches this morning, the first I think I had the water to warm and the mix too thick, it started setting in the cup while I was trying to pour my 3rd mold.

The second one I made cooler and thinner, haven't de-molded yet, but they look good from the back... ::P:

Anyway, it really is as cool as I thought it would be, though slightly stressful to get them to come out right... :poke:

After a cr*py week, this is a WooHoo! ^_^

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven or Spike Page told me you can use something else other hen dental plaster for those, can't recall what it was but it a bit cheaper then dental.

Hirst are something I would really like to try out, even if it was just for background scenery on a photo, ha ha

RM

There are lots of substances (all variations of plaster though, really) that you can use, from what I understand.

Plaster of Paris is at the bottom of the list, then there's a ton of hydrocals and the like. Ultracal 30 is one I may try as well.

Also, I went for a specific brand of dental plaster called Merlin's Magic. Supposedly it is formulated specifically for the hobby and is thin, easy to deal with, makes less bubbles, etc. There are other dental plasters that are cheaper too, I'm sure, but this is supposedly the best stuff for what we're doing. It's more expensive for me here on the west coast because there is only one distributor and she is back east. Shipping is almost as much as the plaster (! :blink: !), but it's supposdly worth it. We'll see. It was $40 for 50 lbs. plus $30 shipping, so that's what, $1.40/lb.?

I can get Ultracal 30 locally, 100 lb. for about $30. That is supposed to be a lot better than PoP (which is cheapest), so I may try that as well. I mainly got the tub of PoP just so I'd have something to work with this weekend until the Merlin's Magic came in.

It's not THAT messy if you're careful...I'm working with it in the house on a 30 gal. trash bag laid flat. It holds about 12 molds and I haven't messed past the bag yet, though I'm sure I will at some point... :rolleyes:

Cost...the molds aren't cheap, but once you have one, you have unlimited blocks from that mold. And there are much cheaper plasters than the dental plaster I mentioned above (reference the Ultracal 30). Time really is the big factor, though you can turn molds every 30-45 minutes if you can hit a groove (I've yet to...).

I checked the latest castings and they are MUCH better. Still had a handful of wasters, but many more came out right with the thinner mix. Hehe, I may have to run out and get another tub of PoP...This is gonna be fun!

A friend and I purchased a bunch of molds at GenCon. I wanted floor tiles for basing, she wanted to make the Dwarven Forge style dungeon tiles to use for the group she DMs. I don't think she's done anything but mold since we got home, but hey, I've got a bunch of shiny new bases! She started using Excalibur dental plaster, has moved onto something else that's a dental plaster.

I want them for all the various purposes as well.

I want to build the individual buildings as shown on the site, but also the modular dungeon (a la Dwarven Forge), not to mention both 1 inch square bases for figures but I also think small (2-3 inch) diorama-type bases (like with walls on 1-2 sides behind the figure) would be cool.

As usual, I think my reach has exceeded my grasp... :rolleyes:

I've got a modular dungeon started as well as some of the smaller buildings. The trick (for me) is to get into a groove for casting and then I end up with lots of blocks for building.

Of course, I cheat and make my own molds of assembled pieces so I don't have to glue all the little bits together. Floor sections and my spiffy new moldular dungeon walls. One pour - finished walls.

I also use the Merlin's Magic but I found out I can get Hydrostone locally. I'm waiting for that first batch to come in so I can give it a test to see if I will make the switch. The Hydrostone is not only local but less than half the price of MM. Big consideration when making dungeons.

I got my sampler from Smooth-On yesterday and my Merlin's Magic is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. And I've got a 4-day weekend starting Saturday...WOOHOO!

Going to try casting my first resin pieces in #46 the Graveyard mold today when I get home from work...

So one cannot use sand and water thinned PVA / white glue with hirst molds?

Or would that just be too heavy for the gaming table?

I don't see why you couldn't but I also don't see why you would. The HA molds have great detail and I can't see that coming out in a sand/glue cast. Also, how long would that take to set up in a brick that is 3" x 1/2" x 1/2"? And how strong would it be?

I'm currently using a plaster that costs about 15 bucks for 50 pounds and it works great.