Rezolution

cristomeyers

Seems I'm on a roll for these topics, first Flames of War, now this :down:

Picked up the rulebook last Friday, liked the background (Love Shadowrun, so this wasn't much of a stretch). I know that it's squad level, like Confrontation, and kinda cyberpunk. The mini's look great, by large (some of the Ronin don't appeal to me much, but the C.O.S(?) look great) and at $70 for a rulebook + starter set, the initial investment is very reasonable. Has anyone here had any experiences, good or bad?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up the rulebook for this game back at Gen Con 05. When I first got the game I was shocked how well it played and how easy it was to learn. The mechanics are all opposed rolls with 2d6 being rolled and then addung a stat (high score wins). What turned me off was the aweful sculpts and my addiction to Warmachine.

Now that Privateerpress is turning in to Games Workshop and the sculpts have improved I am back into REZ.

First the rules are still solid focusing on story based game play, the minis have improved 300% with the new Peace Keepers and Ronin Sculpts. This is a great game and if marketed right can scoup up alot of the Shadowrun/Necromunda fans

Some don't like the figures, and some love them. The game is great for use of proxies due to the variety of troop types already avlailable (I have a lot of Shadowrun figures running on the table sometimes). There have been a couple models I wasn't as impressed with, but overall I've really liked the detail and style of the models, just not some of the presentation paint jobs that were used. There's been a lot of buzz on the new CSO sculpts.

Gameplay is really nice. I'm a big fan of alternating activation systems, and the mechanics for Rezolution work really well for the genre. I like having psychic powers, gunfights, and online combat all going at once.

The rulebook has enough fluff to use as an RPG guide for an alternate Shadowrun world. We dropped the fantasy races, and added stats for Dravani and replicants for a campaign.

The fluff is good, the rules are very good, and the game balance is very nice. Armies can have a lot of variety, both within faction and by adding Ronin or mercs to any other force. Alternating activation mlakes scenario play much easier to have work without as much worry about scenario balance working.

The normal boxed sets come with a core force and a CD with pdf's for templates, counters, and some nice World Works card stock terrain (well done card stock terrain can last for decades, and World Works has the best I've seen).

The Shadow War basic set comes with two forces, dice, a tape, and a small rulebook that covers the rules, but with little fluff and no unit descriptions. The larger ($70) set adds the full rulebook.

Units come with data cards that carry all the rules for the unit, with the rules written well enough to use.

The game is very worthwhile for anyone who wants a good sci-fi skirmish game.

The fluff is good, the rules are very good, and the game balance is very nice. Armies can have a lot of variety, both within faction and by adding Ronin or mercs to any other force. Alternating activation mlakes scenario play much easier to have work without as much worry about scenario balance working.

All these points are spot on. Rez is a really cool game, well worth a look.

William

:blues:

The models are hit and miss with me. I like most of them, but there are a few pretty awful sculpts.

This is to be expected witha new line though, and there has been quite a bit of improvement.

I haven't checked out the rules yet, but I hope to... I've been getting addicted to Pulp gaming and WWI.

If I 'get' the minis (CSO Ranger pack that looks like Deckard and Rachel), I like them.

But most of the time, I don't get it.

Although if I treat the minis more as a cheeky Judge Dread/2000AD style, I'm much more forgiving.

Picked up the Shadow Wars set and I'm pretty much satisfied with what I got (the fact that I got it for $60 rather than $70 didn't hurt any). Most of the minis are in pretty good quality. One of the APAC Enforcers I had to trim the tongue so it would fit into the base (that's getting to be a problem with more than one company nowadays it seems). The minis are mostly ok. The Enforcers look good and the APAC hacker is a great looking mini, but the CSO troopers I'm a little disappointed with. They look really bulky and some of the parts don't quite fit together as well as they should. The Marshall and Technician look great though.

The TADS suit is driving me nuts, not because its a poor mini or anything, I think it's great. But because it looks so much like an anime-style mechsuit that I can't help but think I've seen that exact style in an anime before. I know that some of the minis are very heavily anime influenced (if you go to the Aberrant store anytime, check out the Female CSO Marshall, Bounty Hunter Iria to a T).

They pull influence from more than anime.

I've heard comparison for the other TADS suits for Guyver and Evangelion. The Bishoujo Senshi are very anime. The male Arashi has people calling on Fist of the North Star, and Big Trouble in Little China.

Beyond that, look at Blade Runner, and then look at the CSO Rangers. Think about Bond girls, and then look at the Executors available. The male Fist looks like a certain regenerated mummy.

There are a lot of homages in Rezolution, and that includes the miniatures.

I wasn't ragging them for their influenced models, just pointing it out. Guess it came off overly negative. The TADS and the Marshall were the first two that sprang to mind. I had noticed a strange resemblance to the Rangers, but I couldn't place it, but I never noticed that Fist's resemblance until it was pointed out, now I like that mini even more.

I'll post a picture of Hitomi's TADS when I get it painted so someone can help me place it. I have this scene from an anime that I know I've seen running a loop in my head and it's going to be driving me nuts until I figure out which one it is.

So far everything about the game I like except some of the models. If you've played Shadowrun, you'll catch on to the rules almost instantly. They're pretty close to the same.

Luckily I'm going to have a lot of time to paint next week, nothing like having your work hours cut in half in the name of budget :down: . Time to start looking for a second job...

@Cristomeyers, I didn't think you were being negative about the resemblances. I just threw out a couple of the others I've seen.

A lot of people have gotten a kick out of looking for similarities, whether intended or not.

Reading the fluff, there are a lot of different ideas that remind me of other stories. That they could remind me so well, yet not read as rip-offs of those stories, really impressed me.

Being able to take ideas people could recognize and identify with, yet change them enough to make them uniquely Rezolution's, was a major accomplishment.