Scrye Shot ...... LOS / Blocked

Scott3390

Page 71 of the rule book say's " gain a clear of sight to any target for a single ranged attack even if the target would normally be obstructed or even blocked." Can I shoot over a hill at a target ??? Or how about a magic arrow that can find a target behind a building ?? I undertand targeting a leader in the back rank, but over a hill or something behind a building or forest.......

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as long as they are not "under" cover. That is, unless they have a roof over their head, they are acceptible targets.

Why would it matter if they had a roof over their head? A roof would block LOS for an arrow, yes, but then again the rule specifically says that Scrye Shot allows you to find your mark regardless of LOS issues. It's more of a magic attack that uses your RAV score instead of your CP score. Like the Scrye Shot-er can scrye the location of a specific enemy, and then inflict pain on it or something... use telekenesis to pick up a nearby brick and bash it on the head.. something like that.

It's more of a magic attack that uses your RAV score instead of your CP score.

Don't forget about the various animal friends that certain characters use for their ranged attacks (i.e., Naomi's bats and Thorgram's hawk -- and possibly others in the future). ::D:

Greka has a bat as well, I think the only Scrye shooter in the game whose ranged attack doesn't come from an animal is Lorielle.

It's one of the aspects of the game that's a little too out there for my tastes, but I accept it as part of the game. Where in other tactical fantasy skirmish games you utilize cover to make a difference, in Warlord it doesn't matter if you're fighting a force with this ability. You may as well stay out in the open and don't waste time hiding. Just charge the archers or fireball them or shoot them before they get you.

Scrye Shot is a fairly expensive SA, and there are not a ton of models in the game that have it. The ones that do, are all Unique and not cheap. It's not an uber weapon by any stretch of the imagination. I don't believe there are any models that can make multiple ranged attacks with Scrye Shot with the exception of Lorielle Silverrain of the Mercs.

And remember with Defensive Shots and spells, you only need the range. LOS for returning fire is automatic. You might suffer from Cover Penalties to your rolls, but the You Shoot Me, I Can Shoot You premise still holds, even for Scrye Shot (I never understood, nor agreed with that specific decision, but it does help limit it from being an insane uber weapon)

...or the Helm of the Hawk...

Maybe Helm of the Hawk summons Hawks to attack fo you :huh:

Still, if Scrye Shot were an unbalancing ability in this game people would be using Scrye Shot models in their builds. Instead it almost never appears on the battlefield (unless you're a Dwarf player forced to take the King). It's simply too expensive, and cost alone limits it's power. People tend to avoid models packing this powerful ability like the plague, what does that tell you about Scrye Shot? It almost never comes into play, and when it does you will only be facing 1 model using it, usually with no more than RAV 2 (Lorielle being the exception).

Well, I know I would use it a lot more frequently if I played in 2500+ point games, but since the average game is 1000-1501, it doesn't come up often. Of course, my model with Scrye Shot is also a Cleric and Mage and fairly competent, so even still, IF the model happened to survive until she ran out of spells, THEN I'd probably use Scrye Shot.

Healing is too easy compared to Scryeshot. If I play Naomi and give her the GAU, we're around 300 points for a +4 RAV. SHe is decent in this role especially if you give her a couple dispels. I use her to protect my units from firestorms and such and to snipe at enemy spell users or wounded leaders. It is a little too dicey and healing is cheap so you have to accept the fact that sometimes it's a little wasteful.