Painfully

Bowstrings - what do you use?

What materials and methods do you use to make a good bowstring on your minis?

I've heard of people using their own hair, but then how do you attach the ends to the bow?  A droplet of superglue doesn't seem all that secure to me.  

On a side note, has anybody tried to make or simulate a bow that was fully pulled back like it was ready to fire?  

And I would be interested any ways of making a miniature arrow as well, though I think a little green stuff might take care of that.

Just going off real bows, try a very fine fishing line.

As for arrows..... pins would probably be about the right size, remove the flat bit.  ???  hope this helps

• Like 1

I would think that hair would be too fine, but that fising line would probably be too thick, unless it's a larger mini, and exceptionally fine line.  Then again, I tend to get a little confused - I'm used to fly fishing line, which is loads thicker.

A pin *could* work for an arrow, but as I recently discovered, things like that don't paint up well.  You'd need some greenstuff or something over it, which would sorta' defeat the purpose of using a pin in the first place.

Not like I have a better sugguestion....

For bowstrings, try beading wire. It's pretty thin, and since it is metal you can bend it into whatever shape you want.
  • Like 1

A pin *could* work for an arrow, but as I recently discovered, things like that don't paint up well.  You'd need some greenstuff or something over it, which would sorta' defeat the purpose of using a pin in the first place.

Probably true about not painting up well. Toothpicks maybe too big, but could give the wood effect. Or swizel sticks.. can get some with an arrow look to them.  ???

Until my drill bit snapped, I was stringing all my minis' bows.    Thin beading wire is the way to go, at least for undrawn bows.  If you've got a mini whose got an arrow nocked and drawn, I've never managed to get that looking realistic.
  • Like 1

For bowstring I like to use 34 gauge wire. a drop of ca glue on the ends holds it in place just fine. If the bow is drawn I drill a hole thru the hand that's drawing the string.

For arrows I use, now this might sound crazy, Q-tips. get the real cheap ones from the dollar store. make sure you get the ones with  the paper core. to make the arrow - cut off the ends and then cut the core to the right length. then unroll the core to the right thickness of an arrow. use a sharp razor blade to cut the unrolled paper. to keep the paper from unrolling the rest of the way use a little watered down white glue to "seal" it. paint to look like an arrow, you can use some of the unrolled paper to matche the fletching.

anyways that's how I do it. ymmv

• Like 4

another less labor intensive method for making arrows is to use strip styrene from Evergreen scale models. you can find this at hobby/model shops.

I used the .040" (1mm) round strips. For $2 you get 10 pcs. 12" long

I've used thread in the past, but it does not hold up too well. Lately I have been using small snippets of fishing line - when I need to peel off some of the 8# thickness / 30# test braided line I use I keep about 6-8" for use with my minis. Works great and is basically waterproof. And yes, it is way thinner than fly line (although not a leader, obviously).

I recommend smoke-colored Firewire or if you do not mind an off-color you can use lo-vis green SpiderWire. Avoid monofilament lines.

Good tips!  Thanks for starting the discussion.  I've used thread in the past but I haven't been too pleased with the result.  Maybe I'm using poor quality thread but it tends to fray.  I'm going to try the beading wire approach.

For bowstrings, I tend to take a piece of black or brown thread and then tie it into place on the bow of the mini.  Once it is tied in place, I secure it with a dot of cyanoacrylate glue on each knot.  I do all this before I seal the mini.  Once I seal the mini, the sealant stiffens the bow string and makes it more durable.    :D

I don't know if you have a full hobby shop near you, but the rigging 'rope' used on hobby ships works quite nicely for bowstrings. It comes in a variety of diameters.