Horror Book Recommendation

Decado

With the approach of Halloween I always have the desire to read some horror books. I am looking for some recommendations. I am considering starting off with Stephen King's Salems Lot. I have read it once before but I bought a special edition from the SFBC that I have not read yet. Anyone have any favorites they want to recommend?

Decado

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few suggestions:

"Books of Blood" by Clive Barker.

"The Dark Descent", Edited by David Hartwell, contains short stories from some of the best horror/thriller writers ever.

"Cell" by Stephen King was kinda neat, tho I am not his biggest fan.

Look for anything by some good short story authors like Ray Bradbury and Richard Matheson.

I second Naterstein's recommendations and add:

American Gothic Tales: a collection of ghost stories complied by Joyce Carol Oates. She's got a story in "The Dark Descent" too.

The Essential Ellison: a collection of "Harlan Ellison" stories. I put his name in quotes because that's what he replies when questioned about the genre of his work. He's a living legend of sci-fi and horror, and like Matheson, wrote for the original Twilight Zone.

Joe Lansdale has written some good thrillers and horror in the weird-west vein, and comic books too.

Thank you for the quick suggestions. ::D:

Clive Barker's Books of Blood. I recall reading the first one when I was a kid but not the details. I do remember enjoying it very much. Are they still in print?

Has anyone read a book that actually scared them? Bram Stokers Dracula had that affect on me. Especially chapters detailing the ship crossing the sea. At the time I was working the graveyard shift as a security gaurd on a merchant marine ship. Having never been on a big ship before, everything was new to me. The sounds of the hull pinging always jumped me. :blush:

Decado

I've always liked Barker too. Can't go wrong there, although I haven't read much of his newer stuff. Cabal, Weaveworld, Imagica, The Great and Secret Show, etc. are all great.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned H.P. Lovecraft. Pick up an anthology or two. He's got some great stories.

And of course Poe is classic.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned H.P. Lovecraft. Pick up an anthology or two. He's got some great stories.

Some of his stories have really really scared me - enough to have problems sleeping. Some are merely dull. So he's quite an uneven writer, ranging from genious to mediocre.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned H.P. Lovecraft.

I'm comin', I'm comin'!

Definitely some Lovecraft. My personal faves would probably be The Dreams In the Witch House, The Rats In the Walls, The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Whisperer in Darkness,and The Shadow Out of Time. Look for the anthology "Blood Curdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre." It has all the good stuff.

And another vote for the Books of Blood. It's been a long time, but good stuff.

All you need is Love...

Lovecrafts all you need.

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

Bit of a warning, 'The Shadow out of time' and 'At the mountains of madness' have major spoilers for the HPL universe.

I'd recommend to start off;

The Shadow Over Innsmouth or The Dunwich Horror or The Call of Cthulhu or The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

The Statement of Randolph Carterwas amusing too.