Brown liner as an armor wash/ the shiny/matte contrast

Sash

Hello,

In the past I used Inks (Higgins, Windsor and Newton and Tamiya) as an armor wash but this brown liner is much more better:

I used the brown liner after a (satin) steel metalic basecolour as an (armor-)wash in the darker parts.

The liner colour dried very matte and so I could highlite my matte basecolour with some more shinier and lighter steal colours. The light reflects from upper parts much more like on real metall, while having a strong

light/dark contrast. This gave me another contrast I will call it the glossy/matte contrast.

Sorry I have no pictures availible! Maybe this is interesting for someone out there?

I think I will mix the liner next use with blue, green or purple depending on the metall.

Another idea I am having is using after the basecolour first the liner armor wash (matte), than only in the darkest parts (like an outlining) Tamya Smoke, maybe this glossy dring stuff will give much more depth.

I will test it.....

Anne // Reaper thank you for this very usabel brown liner!!! I have the feeling of using it very often in the future.

best wishes

Sash

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are liners exactly? They sounds very interesting?

IS it like a dark brown paint you use to wash your mini in?

The liners are essentially very, very dark (almost black) colored paints. With a slight bit of thinning, they can be used to darkline between two different surfaces/areas on your minis. Thinned to wash consistency, particulary with a medium, they're great for very fast shading and darklining.

Ron

That is part of the liners purpose here on Anne's Green Earth. While black works well - often it tends to be a bit stark - so the fact that liner sare a deep deep brown, or a deep deep blue (or grey, green, red, violet...etc...) make them a little less stark and more pleasing to the eye.

They also allow you do to some neat tricks by adding that hint of color in the shadow as well - like if you take armor and wash it with a brown liner, and then do the same model, but with a blue liner - it gives you a whole different feel.

Bloody brilliant they are.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the liners in the MSP line have a different composition than the other MSPs -- more pigment heavy with less of a base, perhaps? I think this makes them a little more translucent but stand out more when they collect in folds and recesses. Another reason why I think their composition is different is because if they were the same as the other paints, you could just mix MSP Pure Black with any other MSP of your choice to create liners of any color, yet doing this has never been suggested as far as I'm aware.

So, to be perfectly clear, Abigail: I believe that the liners are indeed "a product specifically designed to do that" and the term "liner" is not just a marketing ploy or a tag line for this method. ::):

Of course, there's really only one authority on this subject, and maybe she'll grace us with a response later. ::D: