Rackham AT-43 Starter

Nanite

The official pics of Rackham's AT-43 starter are out:

http://en-forum.confrontation.fr/viewtopic...093&start=0

Some choice bits:

eclate-s.jpg

firetoad.jpg

Still not thrilled with the infantry.

Edit: Crap! after posting that pick I just noticed the mold line down the front of the mech, and the sinkholes on the legs and arms.

That's exactly why I don't love pre-painted.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Manufacturing defects aside, the painting on them isn't too bad. Better than the clicky-tech stuff. If Rackham stuff wasn't so expensive I'd think about buying the individual pieces to tear stuff apart for the bitz bucket (don't really care for the sculpt of the human mecha, though the alien one is fairly nifty) and the terrain pieces.

Supposedly these are production models.

I've bought some japanes gashapon-toys which use similar if not identical production methods. The paint apps on some are very good, but none are that much above modern day toy quality.

Also while they are heftier then Wizkids/WotC minis, they're still rubbery PVC.

Just speculation on that though.

Granted, I'm biased, but I dunno about the tactical feasability of the forward mounted guns on the walker. It looks very flankable...

Thats why you have infantry and vehicle squadrons :) You also want to stick them in a defensable position. Take a look at tank destroyers which have a fixed gun facing forward (basically a mobile anti-tank gun). It is definately tactically feasable as well as has a historical precedence.

That said - I too am a big fan of a traversable turret :)

I do like the fact that the guns are below the vehicles center of balance as well - so blazing away with them doesn't put strain on the body causing a potential topple.

I hate it when my minis topple from auto firing their little pretend guns.

Joking aside I must admit that I think these look like much better quality than other prepaints out there.

Are these supposed to be collectible? or would I actually know which model I was buying?

They look very good to me. Yes, I can paint better than that. However, consider the amount of time needed to paint them, it is not worth the effort. Keeping up with Warlord is enough. After you tried WH, 40K, Confrontation and etc, I doubt anyone will like to paint up a new army.

My .02. I like the look of the model. From a tatical stand point it doesn'e look very moble. More like a moving gun platform. And stragicly, I'd hate to be the Logistics guys that are responsible for moving these things around.

Of course to para phrase MST3K. Just repet to yourself it's just a game, I should really just relax.

Part of the fun for me is trying to figure out if things would work or not.

There was a neat show on the discovery channel about the science of hollywood and they were looking at various vehicles and if they could work or not.

For example - James Bond's Aston Martin could conceivably be bullet-proof, have machine guns, potentially run flat tires etc.. but things like oil slicks (as shown in the movie) aren't possible.

I do the same thing with sci-fi figures and vehicles.

I *love* mst3k :)

Edit: As a PS - a 70's Dictator could seriously kick one of these things around like a soccer ball. 'Tater-Soccer should totally be a game.

True there's a precedence for some AT & destroyer types having fixed guns, but most of those "fixed" guns had at least "some" traverse.... and those guns were *usually* on the highest point of the vehicle... This thing has a rather high profile and guns that are at a pretty low level.

At the same time, that high profile could be the shield generator, so who cares what it's shape is.... yah, there are possible explanations...

If I was in something like that, but it kept me alive, I'd love it....

Quite right -

High up guns means the tank can hull down in its defensive position. This guy can't.. he has to be blazing away out in the open. It's why tank-hunters are so flat :) Nice wide base that can absorb the recoil of an huge-freakin-gun, it's still mobile and it's easy to hunker down behind things.

Can't really hull down in a CAV either - but with orbital intel and all sorts of sciency-dohickeys, you are probably going to know there is a 30 foot monster comming after you - so best to paint it red with flames and run in with guns blazing.

I really think someone should come up with RAGE 'Tater Soccer.

It does look alot like the old nitto SF3d models.

http://paginas.terra.com.br/lazer/projectg...echa/jerry8.jpg