Inks Vs a paint Wash?

abigail

Hello,

I am a little confused as to the diffrence between usine black paint thinning it down and washing it over the mini to fill in the gaps VS using inks to wash over the minis?

Is the effect diffrent? Is one better then the other? And do you have any picture examples of the diffrence between the two?

It is still not clear to me. :) Thanks for the advice.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First I would definitely reccommend AGAINST using black paint to do a wash (unless you're washing grey, or very dark colors), since black never complements all colors (IMHO if you do go for the "one wash to rule them all" method, I think using a dark brown, like Burnt Umber, would be much more natural, and a true mixing of all colors than black).

As for the differences, I think it has more to do with personal preference. I like to use black ink in some of my washes. Others might like paint instead.

Damon.

I hardly ever use ink except for washing metalics. The contrast is a bit too start for my taste, and the finish too glossy. I normally use a thinned down paint of a darker hue than what I am painting, which means I wash each different part of the mini a different color.

I have done straight black wash in the past, and if done well it can result in a fairly decent paintjob (along with some nice highlighting). However, I prefer washing with color.

I use inks when I want the inky look. For example if I want to make a slimy alien I've found elf flesh inked with purple or green ink looks good. If I want it to look non-glossy/slimy I use a wash.

I've used washes over a white basecoat for my non-corporeals to give a "ghosty effect", and think this looks fairly good.

I'm not very big on inks or washes though, using them mostly when I want a particular effect like "ghosty" or "slimy".

I use mostly paints for washes but still use inks for some glazing/ tinting. Try adding some matte medium to the ink and it will kill some of the shine. Be warned that this will make the ink less useful as a wash though. Matte medium is a binder that will make your ink behave differently than what you are used to seeing. It will work fine for tinting, but if you really want a good wash that stays in the recesses, and doesn't have shine, then use a good quality matte paint mixed with pure water and some flow improver. Just make sure the paint you choose isn't one of the ones that dries all shiny or your wash will too.