Sign in to follow this  
Feanor

In the market

Hello all,

My wife and I are about to have our first child, I have taken the opportunity to say we should get a good digital camera. You know for all the great shotas of the tike growing up andf naturally as an aside to get pics of mini's. Im just looking for a good digital camera and was hoping someone here could make a few suggestions.

thanks for any advice

P.S. 3 to 5 five hundred dollars :down:

Well here is one that fits in the price range you want to stay in with examples of how it shoots. The Kodak EasyShare Z740.

link to thread here with pics

The pics are from the camera and my wife uses it for all the photos recently post here on Reaper( last 5 months or so.)

I am very fond of my Cannon power shot, I've had it for almost 5 years and it still works great, even if it's taken alot of abuse. Just a note, make sure what ever camera you buy, it has Digital and Optical zoom, not Just digital.

Like any camera a digital camera is only as good as its glass optics. Cannon, Nikon, Olympus all have excellent optics. Sony, Kodak, Fuji are also very good. For mini pics you need something with upwards of a 10x optical zoom with a macro function. Digital zoom is essentially useless, optical zoom is everything.

I really like my Canon PowerShot A620 -- probably <$300 now, and/or replaced with a newer model, since it's a year old, but still... 4x optical zoom, lots of presets and controls, macro mode and manual white-balance are all good for minis. 7.1MP, 'scene' lighting presets, digital zoom, mini movies and such are all great for families. Above all, ask questions. Even if you plan to buy online, go to a store and wrap your hands around it, get a feel for the features and functions. You'll be happier in the long run and get the most bang for your buck.