Washes not behaving

Krztoff

I have tried a gunk containing liquitex flow aid and future "magic wash" (in this case, future turned MSP walnut into a dark blue mess)

Using the flow aid gunk, my washes dry everywhere BUT where I want them to.

My gunk is just water, flow aid and liquitex slow-dri.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a mix of 50/50 future and water for my washes (for all thinning really) and haven't had any problems with pigmentation or color distortion.

Including MSP walnut, which I'm fond of using. It tends to gloss a little over multiple washes, but testors dullcote fixes it right up. I've never used the flow improver (or anything except my 50/50 blend), so I can't speak to that.

I like to keep it simple, hence my "formula". Maybe it's the flow improver causing you grief? Or it's reacting with the future or something.

I'd suggest you either drop the flow improver or the future and see what happens. Personally I just use a little flow aid and water for washes with RMS; I think you might just be suffering from overkill and over-complication.

If you find you need to add a little something extra to your ( RMS + Water + Flow Aid ) washes then try a little matte varnish (available in the RMS line) or a little matte medium- but only a little.

Ah, I see slow-dri in your gunk. Drop it completely for washes would be my suggestion, as well as trying working without the future.

Thanks for the suggestions. SW, I think you just fixed my problem! It never really occured to me that my washes had slow-dri in them, as I just use the same gunk for thinning base, highlight, wash, glaze, etc. I've always just added more or less depending on the application. I think I'm gonna have to make a base/highlighting gunk and a seperate wash gunk for use from now on.

Also, I wasn't very clear in my first post. I meant that I've used my gunk, and I've also used the magic wash, but not at the same time. I've never mixed flow aid and future.

Thanks for the suggestions. SW, I think you just fixed my problem! It never really occured to me that my washes had slow-dri in them, as I just use the same gunk for thinning base, highlight, wash, glaze, etc. I've always just added more or less depending on the application. I think I'm gonna have to make a base/highlighting gunk and a seperate wash gunk for use from now on.

Also, I wasn't very clear in my first post. I meant that I've used my gunk, and I've also used the magic wash, but not at the same time. I've never mixed flow aid and future.

I stopped using slow dry stuff in my washes a long time ago. By the time the paint starts drying it had run out of the recesses ::D: I would careful about adding matte medium though. Too much binder will cancel out the effects of a wash.