More rules questions

Ler

Finally played my first game after getting armies painted up and stuff and now I have some questions, mostly things that weren't very clear. So if you could clear them up, I'd be very greatful!

1) Close Combat: All members of the attacking troop make their attacks and then the defender just gets one defensive strike against one of them right? they don't get one defensive strike against each attacker that hit them I assume? (assuming they aren't warmasters of course, but if they ARE warmasters, can they split their defensive strikes between multiple attackers?)

2) Spellcasting: If you're a mage/cleric, and you're currently engaged in close combat with an enemy model, can you cast spells on other models not in the melee you're involved in?

3) Defensive Magic: You get to cast a spell back at an enemy who cast a spell on you, even if it was at range? and you only get to use defensive magic if someone cast at you right?

4) Terrain: Do fences and hedges just count as field works? or do they take an inch to cross or something?

That's about all I can think of at the moment. It seems a really fun game and some of the things I didn't think would work very well actually did. I was a bit iffy about the whole draw deck thing but when we tried it, we found it worked really well and made initiative far more interesting.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 Each model that was attacked gets 1 defensive strike unless it has "Warmaster" SA . Yes , those with "Warmaster" can split their defensive strikes .

#2 Yes , if you LOS .

#3 Defensive magic can be used if you were the target of a spell , ranged attack or melee attack .

#4 There is much debate about terrain features at present , so I can't give a totally clear answer here but I would say that they were Light (cover type) , Size value - 1 , in which fieldworks fall . Now at present , the errata is saying that size 1 blocks LOS to size1 (standard) model . There is a whole thread about this and I'm still confused . :wacko:

1)you can take you defensive strike against anyone in your front ark

3) You may cast back with a spell, up to the spells range so long as it state that it can be used via defensive magic (i.e. bolt). It was also my impretion that it could only be use after being targeted with a ranged or magic attack, not melee

Regarding the fourth question, the charts "light cover" and "heavy cover" only come into play when the model is close enough to the terrain feature to gain its cover bonus. Otherwise if the terrain is interveening, it would block LOS. Building a breastworks or murder slits that were impossible for models to shoot from would be illogical.

I would treat fences and hedges as Light Cover Size 0. Field works would be built expressly for keeping arrows out, thus more solid and sturdy than a hedge or fence.

@Brushmaster - Defensive Magic cannot be used in lieu of a Defensive Strike for Close Combat. It is only in response to Ranged and Magic Attacks. At least at this point in time. It wouldmake sense if it could however.

Casting a spell in Close Combat is possible, provided there is LOS to your target, but may trigger a Defensive Strike if you are casting an Attack Spell on an Enemy Model that is currently in base to base contact with your Caster.

Ex. Lunk is in base to base contact with an Overlord Warrior (A). 17 inches away is another Overlord Warrior (B).

If Lunk cast Life Transfer on A, this triggers a Defensive Strike by A as if Lunk had made a Close Combat attack, resolve accordingly.

If Lunk cast Life Transfer on B, this does not trigger a Defensive Strike by A. If B had Defensive Magic or Defensive Shot, this attack would trigger those Special Abilities and would be resolved accordingly.

@Brushmaster - Defensive Magic cannot be used in lieu of a Defensive Strike for Close Combat. It is only in response to Ranged and Magic Attacks. At least at this point in time. It wouldmake sense if it could however.

In my original printing the only defensive magic was in response to spells . In the errata , it was allowed in response to ranged attacks and I thought to melee attacks . Maybe I was wrong . ::o:

Yeah, it's just Ranged and Spell attacks for Defensive Magic, although it would be cool if it was allowed for Defensive Strikes as well. Then they came out with some spells that could only be cast when a Mage was in b2b contact with the target, that had the option of being used as Defensive Magic.

That is only in reference to Ranged and Spell Attacks, not Close Combat.

Your quote is from Spell Casting and is in reference to the target model having DM and being a direct or indirect (part of AOE) target of a cast spell. Something similar would need to be in the Melee Combat portion of the errata for your interpetation.

Earlier in the errata you will find:

Defensive Magic/Defensive Shot: Models with Defensive Magic/Defensive Shot are considered to be able to perform a "Ranged Defensive Action." A Model with a ranged defensive action may return their defensive action when the target of a ranged attack or spell.

Thanks for the clarifications guys. I've had a good look at the errata too which is very helpful and it seems dispel will be useful for getting rid of the shaken effect caused by holy light which was something of a pain for my skeletons. =P

The question regarding the fences/hedges (and other similar stuff) was solely to do with movement. I was wondering if there was any additional movement cost for crossing them spending an inch to do so, as far as I can tell it's still x1 movement.

Here is what I found in the pinned Rules FAQ topic.

**NEW (May 25th)

Obstacles (like walls) and Movement; Asylum August 12/05 (Thread: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16732)

Determine the type of cover the obstacle would grant.

If the obstacle would grant light cover to the Model crossing it, use the movement modifier x1. In other words, a light cover obstacle presents no game mechanic impedance to movement (the model leaps the low wall, barrels through the hedgerow, etc.).

If the obstacle would grant heavy cover to the Model crossing it, use the movement modifier x2. In other words, a heavy cover obstacle slows the Model crossing it (the model must take a moment to negotiate the trench, etc.).

If the obstacle would block Line of Sight, the Model must go around the obstacle but it cannot cross it. Scenario rules should be used to dictate exceptions when using terrain that might be an applicable exception to this rule (going through a farmhouse or barn rather than around it). Players should be informed of these special terrain items before play.