Painted Gallery / Painted CAV Gallery

ixminis

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're in a hurry to see Pearl, she is up on cmon.

Hey, Marike. ^_^ Congrats again on your award-winning entries at GenCon Indy. Based off the online photos I saw, the OSL Crocodile Games diaorama was great, but I absolutely love your take on Werner's Pearl the Mermaid. I decided before the mini was released that it would be my DH small Fantasy entry for RC '07. I'll do my best. In any event, it was an honor to finally meet you at KublaCon '06. Sorry if I seemed a bit tired as I was up the entire night 'till the morning trying to finish that Rackham Wolfen.

Well, I visited Werner's website earlier in the week and noticed that you painted his new Sorceress (now on CMON). The blending on her face is damn near flawless, and I love the color scheme you chose -- the soft yellows and vibrant blues tied in with the neutral browns. One of the reasons you're easily one of my favorite mini-painters is how seamlessly smooth your blends are. If you wouldn't mind, I have a question about the Sorceress Freebooter mini you painted. I'm rushing trying to get Elise the Witch done for the Reaper Halloween contest (while trying to figure out how to take a good pic when I do finish), and I want to paint a sheer/see-through effect on her pantyhose/stocking, much like how you did with your Sorceress. I'm planning on shading/highlighting the skin as normal, and plan on applying varying layers of glazes to achieve the effect (thinking it'll work). Would you recommend anything different?

Remy

Hi Remy,

Thanks for asking about my sorceress.

I got the sheer effect on her pantyhose by mixing a bit of Vallejo Model Color S.S Cam Black (#150) into the skin basecoat. Then I blended the skin basecoat down into pure S.S. Cam Black for the shadows. After that I layered the skin highlights up normally.

Glazes work well to smooth the color transition. But to get a really good blend, you'll have to have some opaque paint for your shadows.

Let me know if that clears things up for ya.

What's this? Could it be a link to recently uploaded Pearl Piccies? (Fantastic Job Marike!!!) Someone should probably try the link out to see!!! Soon soon I'll have a few piccies by Patrick Keith & one more by John Bonnot uploaded!!! Huzzah!!! BTW, I have two recent Derek Schubert uploads as well... I snuck 'em up earlier this week!

Hi Remy,

Thanks for asking about my sorceress.

I got the sheer effect on her pantyhose by mixing a bit of Vallejo Model Color S.S Cam Black (#150) into the skin basecoat. Then I blended the skin basecoat down into pure S.S. Cam Black for the shadows. After that I layered the skin highlights up normally.

Glazes work well to smooth the color transition. But to get a really good blend, you'll have to have some opaque paint for your shadows.

Let me know if that clears things up for ya.

Hi, Marike: ^_^

In regards to asking/commenting about your sorceress, I was more than happy to. I'd love to ask you about a lot of your paint-jobs and stuff in general, but I've never seen you other than that time at KublaCon. Actually, the two styles of mini-painting I admire the most are Rackham's and yours to be perfectly honest. I could go into detail why, but I'd rather not bore you or the forum. ^^; If you would ever like to talk in more detail, you can always e-mail me at: [email protected]

VMC #150... mine says German Cam. Black Brown. I love how the names can change at times, but at least the numbers stay consistent. ^_^ I used to use this exclusively for dark-lining with a ~50:50 mix of this and black. I'm really liking the RMS Brown Liner right now, however.

Concerning your skin basecoat, I take it you applied an opaque layer first of just the skin color, correct? Then, you added a bit of S.S. Cam. Black (#150) to your skin basecolor to achieve the sheer effect on the pantyhose and progressively added more for the shading until you were at 100% S.S. Cam. Black. Are you wet-blending the shading (sheer effect to the deepest shade) or layering and feathering it? I know feathering can have different meanings depending on who you talk to, so what I mean is drawing out the hard edge (be it opaque or translucent) so that the edge fades and blends into the layer underneath. Having said that, do you also feather your layered highlights?

In any event, I appreciate the reply, Marike. I ended up focusing too much on Elise the Witch with what little time I've had that I had to rush like crazy to finish the Halloween Sophie. I'd much rather take my time to practice some of these new techniques so they look good on my first try so I decided not to enter her. As for my Halloween Sophie, please disregard her as she was roughly a 6-hour paint-job due to the deadline (forcing my very inexperienced hand at wet-blending). It's really embarrassing. ^//^ I did the pumpkin earlier and am kinda pleased with how it turned out as it was my first time painting orange -- it really glows in-person. Sure, not exactly realistic, but I wanted a rich and vibrant orange. :poke: