Further discussion on Flyers' ground movement

violator

Hows everyone doing been a long time since i typed a message or even played warlord in almost a year.. ive been WAY to busy. Im training now for werner ent so im always moving hardly have time for anything. so im a bit behind the times with the updates.. so forgive me for this.

this weekend was nuke-con where i got to play again and i came across a new rule that i cant believe someone used such limited intellegence in the making of this decision.

I got to use the great demon for darkspawn whom happens to be a flyer. and they informed me that even though his movent is 8... the rule changed so that if he is on the ground his movent is 3 to all flyers.. what the hell are we treating all flyers as if they got no legs now. the purpose to flying is that terrain modifiers doesnt apply while air born.. such as trees and upgrades and down grades and such... once a flier lands those modifiers takes affect.. which is the way it should be its only fair

however this ruling is so far fetched in my oppinion that it tells me three things..

1. im being lied to this rule doesnt exist. and it got exploited in a tournament format..

2. it is an official rule and someone at reaper needs to wake up and rethink this extremely ignorent rule..

or 3. or this was a hear say rule/scuttlebut if you will and no one has made an official ruling on this,

if its option 3 then let me ask what is the real ruling on this before more people get suckered into a false pretence like i was.

thanks

john hawley

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2) Is correct, as far as I know.

There was a lot of discussion, and the idea that models with flyer should have a split movement stat to refelect the different movement, or even make Flyer read "flyer X" where X is the flight movement speed were summarily rejected.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but you weren't hosed. That rule was made quite some time ago. This no joke, though it will sound like one: I think the ruling came out upwards of a year ago. Probably not too long after you went into semi-retirement. :wacko:

I apologize if you felt like you were cheated, but unfortunately, that is the rule. Some of us have argued with Reaper that the rule needs tweaking. My personal observation was to make SA: Flyer into SA:Flyer/X. Essentially, it is like Runner or Bloodlust. But, we have debated that in the past with Reaper peeps either not commenting or saying something non-committal.

I'm hoping that when Version 2 of the rules comes out it will change to the way I want it. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

EDIT: Leave it Erion to essentially say what I did first! :lol:

2) Is correct, as far as I know.

There was a lot of discussion, and the idea that models with flyer should have a split movement stat to refelect the different movement, or even make Flyer read "flyer X" where is is the flight movement speed were summarily rejected.

So if that be the case they should increases the distance of the flying ammount since he would be able to move father and faster in flight and not change the movement that he already has showing on the ground ... is that what they are planning or are they still penalizing their movement on the ground..

to explain what i mean... the great demons mov is 7 so there flying should be like 10 or something like that.. cause its not fair to slow a flyers movement on the ground cause it has wings

The whole was started because of a Road Runner/chicken comment that they could use the stated flying movement to run along roads helter skelter . So they changed the ground movement for all flyers . I don't know why they didn't make it like non corporeal models who don't get bonuses for terrain but that's what was ruled . :blink:

Whatever you think of this rule, you have to admit it accomplishes what it intends to - to make you actually fly with your flyers. Honestly, most people I know would never fly with a flyer if the ground movement was the same. Flyers are a terrible investment in 90% of all army builds. They are such easy pincushions, you'd be dumb to actually fly with them most of the time. So this rule forces them to fly.

Actually, in my experience, all it does is force people not to play with flyers. :wow:

Actually, in my experience, all it does is force people not to play with flyers. :wow:

boy ya got that right bud. i pretty much made up my mind from now on im gonna use burrowers from now on.. atleast them only a couple of things can hurt them from underground..

This rule is really not too different from others regarding the restrictions on flyers. In some game systems you must ALWAYS fly, in others using your "fly" ability triples your movement, etc, etc.

What I don't get is this: why get upset about a rule change that you get for free and only affects one model? Would it be better for Reaper to leave a clearly broken rule for three years or more, then publish a new edition of the rules and charge $50 to $80 for the update that changes ALL rules from the previous Ed. that were unpopular, and then leave it again, freshly broken in new and inventive ways, for another three years?

I agree with Nameless about the state of Warlord.

As regards flying, my experience with Chronopia had flyers in "height bands" or, in simpler terms, how many inches off the ground they were. So, a flyer could skim over the ground, and actually move behind cover. As it stands now in Warlord, the terrain makes no real difference for flyers, and with the anything goes targetting rules, and things like scrye shot and blazer, etc., most flyers will be pin cushions.

I use flyers in several armies. They start in the air and come screaming down on mages, archers, solos that are trying to flank me. While they are arrow magnets, that leaves a lot of other models free to hit the archer lines. I don't like the blanket ruling of 3 inch movement for all flyers on the ground, but my flyers don't walk much.

Last game a Dwarf player brought a Griffon that was a terror, hitting the lines in theback while the bear rider came at them from the front. It was bloody.

As the author of the Road Runner/Eagle thread, I feel dirty with the result. I am not a fan of the 3" movement rule. I hate it. BUT, the person who started this thread should put a little more effort and a little less venom into the thread. People tend to take you less seriously when your post looks like a fourth grader helped you make it. Feel free to spellcheck, especially in the title and using caps to start your fragments would be helpful as well. One "." is something you place at the end of a line of gibberish. Three, like this "..." is something that you see from time to time as well. Two ".." means nothing. I hate to come off like a grammar nazi, but the tone of your post combined with the complete lack of effort in making it understandable, is shocking. We all take shortcuts and make mistakes, but at least make an effort.

No results found for genious.

Did you mean genius?

I would caution against using Chronopia's flying rules. A twice dead game is not a good model. Check out Confrontation. ;)

(I liked Chronopia too, until Excelsior killed it for good.) :devil:

You may be in for more disappointment selling off your old models than you realize. ;)

Getting back to Warlord, I felt that the flying/ground rule made sense, and seeing that same dynamic in Chronopia, was right at home with it after a battle or two. I've got lots of flyers in my Darkspawn army. The actual distance of the model off the ground would be good for cover, obviously, but also for moving over large terrain like buildings, and charging, obviously. I think Warlord can accomodate some more depth in their flying models rules without breaking the game as it stands.

I use flyers in several armies. They start in the air and come screaming down on mages, archers, solos that are trying to flank me. While they are arrow magnets, that leaves a lot of other models free to hit the archer lines. I don't like the blanket ruling of 3 inch movement for all flyers on the ground, but my flyers don't walk much.

Last game a Dwarf player brought a Griffon that was a terror, hitting the lines in theback while the bear rider came at them from the front. It was bloody.

Yeah, that was a pretty sweet game. :devil: I was playing the Dwarves (naturally ^_^ ) and I had Reptus allies. Warwick was fielding Lupines, and his partner was playing Elves. Our total troops: 10. Their total troops: 3. So, based upon averages, we should have moved a couple three times before they did. Oh yeah, we also were fielding 750 points each!

Anyways, I ranger the Griffon out to the middle of the field. Then, Warwick gets the lucky draw and gets to go first with his one card. Oops! Then we proceed to move the majority of our units, followed by the Elf player. I saved the Griffon for my last activation. The Griffon swoops in and eats the Elf mage for lunch. Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! :devil:

The next turn, Thorvald decides he wants a piece of Elf (the other white meat :lol: ) and charges in. Between the Griffon and Thorvald, I think almost all of the models in that unit were dead by about halfway through the next turn. :upside:

What does this have to do with Flyer's ground movement? Absolutely nothing. But, I had to show off. :lol:

As far as ground movement goes, there are certain flyers whose ground movement may be high at a 3, like the Giant Eagle. I don't exactly see one of those hauling butt on the ground. :lol: But, others like Rauthuros and other big flyers like him, I could see him easily moving 6 on the ground and maybe 12 in the air. Unhurt, of course. ^_^

I don't really know the best way to determine the change in movement on a datacard though. Flyer/X was my one brilliant solution. I'll leave it up to the Reaper peeps. :wub:

Wild Bill :blues: