A couple of Noob questions

Bloodthorn

I did notice the WN and Reaper K brushes brought up, which is better? Or is it just a personal preference?

Mostly personal preference for me. I have both, but I usually stick with W&N. The times when I've accidentally picked up a Reaper Kolinsky I have noticed a difference (I keep them in the same holder), but I think it has more to do with the handle than the way they lay down the paint.

Both are better than the synthetics, but Bug Lips is right - the Reaper synthetics aren't complete junk. I just think the better brushes will get you better results.

If we are talking budget, go for LTPK1, a couple of sable brushes (W&N or Reaper), and the Tanned Skin triad (it's so good). Then individual MSPs of whatever colors trip your trigger. 9053 Honed Steel would be a good compliment to the Silvered Steel in LTPK1 and don't overlook 9021 Snow Shadow, a very nice bluish-grey and good for shading white. I get a lot of use out of 9064 Brown Liner as well, but I like a dirtier grittier look to my minis. For less than $60 you can have a good selection of stuff.

And tell your wife that if she doesn't want to eat Ramen, she should get her own job! You may want to note that I am single before taking this part of my advice... :;):

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragon Snack makes a good point, so that's an option to keep in mind. The skintones in paint kits 2 and 3 are based on mixes and layering, and kit 3 is non-metallic metals. So if you don't already know layering the choice is how much you want to learn and how fast. Kit one will give you some good basics, kits 2 and 3 have fine instruction for more advanced techniques and are tons of fun.

But the triad is easy to learn as well on its own, so you can get away without doing the skintone and cloth kit. (though I'd still personally recommend it).

I'm on the non metallic metals now. Challenging. Looks ok, but I think I need more practice. :lol:

BTW, is there anyway to get the painting guides from the Learn to Paint kits by themselves? I'd like to see if there's anything I've been missing.

Nope. The only way you can get them is with the kits.

I guess I'll have to look through my niece's Xmas present - just to make sure it's complete . . .

The Egg

On the subject of brushes, I have *wasted* far more money buying budget brushes than I have *spent* on quality brushes. Two or three good brushes and you're set. Eight to twleve budget brushes down the track, you've got eight to twelve fuzzy sticks and no decent brushes. I know this because I did the budget brushes until quite recently.

I did a bit of poking around online for Kolinsky brushes tonight, and depending on where you're shopping you can get them fairly cheaply. There are a number of places which offer $21 (retail) Winsor and Newton Series 7 brushes for $7-8. That's about the price of a Master Paint triad.

The Egg

On the subject of brushes, I have *wasted* far more money buying budget brushes than I have *spent* on quality brushes. Two or three good brushes and you're set. Eight to twleve budget brushes down the track, you've got eight to twelve fuzzy sticks and no decent brushes. I know this because I did the budget brushes until quite recently.

Dear God, yes!

I replaced all of my brushes earlier this year. It had been several years ago that I had bought these...during my warhammer 40k days, and over a dozen years since the original endeavor with my testors enamels and an undead ninja.

Even though I am forever a proponent of crappy paint and persistance...even cheap bastage me can not stress the importance of good quality brushes...and cleaning and maintaining them.

Buy a good brush set. Treat it well. Don't make me come over with SBS (sable brush services) and find new homes for your mistreated equipment! :ph34r: