Long time no post

Orchid_Noir

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Her armor is not going to photo worth a poo because it's a color-shift paint

I'm new to this keep this in mind, but where do you get the color shift paint?

I've just recently gotten back into painting and was thinking about posting some things I've done and have been looking for some sort of color shift.

It looks great btw!

Thanks! ::D:

The color shift paint is a science lab experiment, pretty much. Wish I could give you an easier answer, but....

1. I found the color I wanted, in a nail polish. I don't want to paint with nail polish because it's gloppy, toxic, and, clean-up is hard on brushes.
  2. I called the manufacturer of the nail polish to find out about the pigment.
  3. Company producing pigment only sells in HUGE volume. (that I cannot afford, or I'd make huge batches of the stuff and sell it :poke: ) They also said "This pigment will not work in a water based carrier." I did not accept that answer, had to keep digging.
  4. Dug around for almost a year before giving up on getting hands on pigment ready to use.
  5. Had an epiphany and I Chemically extracted pigment from nail polish and blended into a water based carrier. It works. It has to be a gloss carrier to optimize the effect, but that's fine by me.

(I am still hoping for an enterprising mini company who's name begins with REAPER to get that pigment and make these paints, I don't like the pigment extraction process)

The only other option I have found yet (and after above experiment, so can't give opinion on product) would be House of Kolor's pigment, pricey, but there.

You can also buy interference paint at store that sells artist's paint. I have a tube of purple, it goes from purple to blue depending on the light. It's expensive, though, $9 for a tube, though it's probably more than anyone would use in a lifetime of painting purple sparkly armor. ;)

You can also buy interference paint at store that sells artist's paint. I have a tube of purple, it goes from purple to blue depending on the light. It's expensive, though, $9 for a tube, though it's probably more than anyone would use in a lifetime of painting purple sparkly armor. ;)

I absolutely adore interferences, but they do not do what this pigment does. Where an interference might give off a couple of colors, this stuff will shift through almost the entire spectum, and sometimes quite dramatically at that, with three contingent colors being predominant (this one's predominants are red, violet, blue), but it will shift further under more extreme angles. Here is a group of photos showing the effect better.

Actually, if you are painting things like bug people or the like and want that sort of sheen, you have a use for that much paint.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it's an excellent paintjob btw. :down: I keep forgetting the important stuff in real life too though, so don't feel that bad. ^_^