State of Cavalry in Warlord

shakhak

Ok I am going to throw my 2 bits on the Table..

I think the -2 to RAV to hit Cavalry is too High I would like to see that down RAV -1, My thoughts are that -2 RAV is good for flyers because they can move up and down, right and left... but a warrior (such as a elf) would know about leading a moving target.

well thats my 2 bits.

That +2 dv against ranged attacks is all they have, don't take that away from the Cav. Dan :P

I actually think the best suggestion out of this thread thus far is what Darthiir just threw out there. It's far more simple than the bonus against infantry. It compliments that Rapier into the ribs of your enemy mentality and would give your enemy something to fear when it comes to a Cavalry Charge.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but I think that the Desert Wind is by far the easiest army to beat. I think I've beaten it three times, two different players. And one player is a BL member and is nearly unbeatable with his regular Nefsokar army.

The delaying a troop doesn't matter with my armies, Dwarfs, Grand Reven, Bull Orcs because I'll sit back and wait for the delayed troop. It may hurt a range heavy army or a magic heavy army but anything melee oriented or well balanced can wait out the delay. Cav has weak defence and most doesn't hit hard, they are twice as large so twice as many models can swarm them.

All the cav in this game is light cav, which is fine but certain factions should have heavy cav like the crusaders, overlords, maybe the vampires and dwarfs.

By heavy, I mean models that strike very hard on a charge and have a high defence. I just can't imagine a group of elves standing after being hits by a 1500lb barded horse that is carrying a 200lb man in 60lbs of armor. Heavy cav should literally rip holes in the skirmish line.

I don't know how your opponents deployed their army or what army you used so I can't speculate on why it was so easy for you to win.

I can in all honesty say I have yet to lose when fielding a People of the Desert Wind army. It isn't just delayment that does it. They can have mounted archers shooting in the first turn. A mounted cleric like Atifa will be able to cast a hold or call the lightning into the enemies ranks on the first turn. Then they can retreat in the 2nd turn behind a screen of raiders and wait for openings.

They aren't smash mouth fighters to be sure. They aren't the end all be all list either. But when manuevered correctly they are competitive and alot of fun to play.

I guess I want my cav. to resemble the plains indians not the knights templar. But it sounds to me like I am in the minority.

I guess I want my cav. to resemble the plains indians not the knights templar. But it sounds to me like I am in the minority.

Why can't we have both? :unsure:

Wild Bill :blues:

Any time I've posted I've made a distinction between heavy and light and I proposed nothing change in light except the elevation bonus..

Why can't we have both? :unsure:

I had a feeling that question may come up. I really don't see a problem with the heavy cavalry. I have used them with a small amount of success. I lean toward the light cavalry because I like my horsemen fast, and irritating.

I think like every other unit in Warlord how well it works simply depends on your opponent and his tactics. What works for me against the players around here may get hammered by other players someplace else.

I'm kinda disapointed with the necro cav i truely dont think their worth the 46 points i mean their good if you playing in a place with lots of forest as they can move through at full speed but i was kinda hopeing for more they just dont stack up

I'm kinda disapointed with the necro cav i truely dont think their worth the 46 points i mean their good if you playing in a place with lots of forest as they can move through at full speed but i was kinda hopeing for more they just dont stack up

Are we talking about the same Death Riders that I am thinking of?!? I think that they are best cav in the game BECAUSE of non-corporeal. Not to mention that they have a decent MAV and DV to boot...I hate facing those things. Give me Skeletal Breakers to face any day! :lol:

Are we talking about the same Death Riders that I am thinking of?!? I think that they are best cav in the game BECAUSE of non-corporeal. Not to mention that they have a decent MAV and DV to boot...I hate facing those things. Give me Skeletal Breakers to face any day! :lol:

I agree WB. Death Riders are the best cavalry in the game. They have the highest Mov & DV of any cavalry unit and are Non-Corporeal. In a Crypt Legion army they're even Tough/1 (ala Dark Energy). All for 45 points. I always field a troop of them led by Gadrun and 95% of my lists have a Totem so they're all MAV 3.

Cavalry are there to wreak havoc not stand there and take a pounding. If you made heavy cavalry they'd be too expensive to field in any significant quantities. Even for Necropolis a full troop of Cavalry (Gadrun and 4 DR's) is 248 without equipment. That's very reasonable for what they bring to the table. For any higher DV or MAV coupled with First Strike or Raider or something similar you're going to double or triple that cost for one troop. Not really worth it IMO.

Unless they made the model have only one DT, which I wouldn't mind seeing. Take all the extra points you have for that second, virtually useless track, and pour that into DV, MAV and maybe increase Tough if possible if you really felt the need to compensate some for that loss of a DT. You could have a fairly stellar Model for 67 points.

I'd be happy with Lion's Lancers keeping their first DT stat line, and increasing MAV and DV each by 2, and still keeping the 67 points.

Unless they made the model have only one DT, which I wouldn't mind seeing. Take all the extra points you have for that second, virtually useless track, and pour that into DV, MAV and maybe increase Tough if possible if you really felt the need to compensate some for that loss of a DT. You could have a fairly stellar Model for 67 points.

I'd be happy with Lion's Lancers keeping their first DT stat line, and increasing MAV and DV each by 2, and still keeping the 67 points.

I agree with this, even for the onyx zephyrs. right now the are mav 2 and dv 9. take away the useless second track and boost both of those and you have a decent cavalry. right now a zephyr charges a grunt fighter type with dv 10 and only has a 20% chance of taking the target down. i'm sorry big guy on big horse should run the little human down. boost the mav to mav 3 make them dv 10 or 11 and give them a bonus to the charge like +1 or +2 as long as they move the last 8" in a straight line. it gives them time to build speed and really smack it to the guy on the ground. speaking of which, now i'm just being crazy, give them +1 for fighting from higher ground :lol: .

I agree with this, even for the onyx zephyrs. right now the are mav 2 and dv 9. take away the useless second track and boost both of those and you have a decent cavalry. right now a zephyr charges a grunt fighter type with dv 10 and only has a 20% chance of taking the target down. i'm sorry big guy on big horse should run the little human down. boost the mav to mav 3 make them dv 10 or 11 and give them a bonus to the charge like +1 or +2 as long as they move the last 8" in a straight line. it gives them time to build speed and really smack it to the guy on the ground. speaking of which, now i'm just being crazy, give them +1 for fighting from higher ground :lol: .

I see this brought up alot. By alot I mean I see it creep into almost every thread that talks about balance/point cost.

Does everyone feel that models with two damage tracks are just too expensive? Maybe that's the issue, not cavalry...

Its not so much that they are too expensive, its that unless they are of the warlord type, they drop off too drastically. On a 3 track model, the drop off is gradual and therefore usually wtill worth things, but 2 track models, most stats drop in half. When you go from a DV 10 to a DV 5, well, then you start thinking that you would prefer two grunts both with DV10 than trying to deal with keeping a DV5 model alive.

Obviously, there are always exceptions to this, both in the fact that I am sure I can find some models whose stats dont fall off a cliff after getting hit, and I am sure I can also find some models that are still well worth using even if their stats do drop off sharply.

But, overall, I tend to look at 1 trackers and 3+ trackers and for the most part leave the 2 trackers sitting around wishing they could be used.

I don't think that it's worth it for soldiers to have two damage tracks... unless there is a relatively easy method to heal them. Until the dark dwarves, the only two foot soldiers in the game with two damage tracks were Crimson Knights and Justicars. The Crimson Knights can heal themselves relatively easily by using vampiric feeding. The Justicars are tailor-made to go along with Kristianna and her innate Holy Burst or to have hospitaliers at their backs -- not to mention the myriad number of clerics that the Crusaders have. Neither Kristianna or the hospitaliers are available in the sublist, but there are still plenty of clerics available, plus, "Armor of Aureillius" helps mitigate the lower stats of the second damage track.

As far as cavalry models are concerned, I would also prefer them to have one track because the only reliable way to bring them back up to full health is by using magic. The Necro cavalry can't use vampiric feeding, and neither Kristrianna nor the hospitaliers can keep pace with the Crusader cavalry in order to heal them when they get hurt. As far as the other three factions with cavalry go, other than magic, they don't have any new SAs or models that are geared towards healing.

Another reason I like the idea of one-track cavalry better is that their stats aren't anything spectacular to begin with and I agree with the sentiment that they are almost useless on their 2nd track. I would prefer cheaper models since that would mean that I could purchase a few more of them and have them functioning at 100% all of the time rather than having fewer, more expensive models hobbling along after they take that first hit.

@Stubb and Arbiter

I think you two just nailed something. I always say that 2 dt models need healers to make them useful time and time again. I think my logic for that argument is completely flawed though. One model's cost shouldn't be dependent on another model completely.

hmmm....

Agree with Stubb and Arbiter; also see my post on multi-track progressions in that thread.

My biggest beef with cavalry is that once they make the charge, they are "stuck in" and can't get away from the enemy forces, which mean that they inevitably get reamed once it's done.

So I do like the "Run 'n Gun" style approach to cavalry combat. Move, make the attack, suffer defensive strikes if any, make a Discipline check, and if it succeeds continue moving the remainder of your movement. Only available to characters with Cavalry and/or Raider.