Playing Dungeons and Dragons

Grimjack

Well, as the description says I will be playing my first DnD game in over twenty years tomorrow night. I picked up a 3.5 rule book, and boy has it changed alot. Anyway I am still trying to pick my Character, and solicting the help of those here. Monk or Ranger and why? Thanks in advance to all who reply and I'll let Y'all know how it went.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What race are you planning to play?

Why are you deciding between Monk and Ranger?

Is there something about the other classes that already turned you off?

What is the makeup of the rest of your party - Race/Class?

Are you starting at 1st level?

What game world are you playing in?

On a sheer Monk vs Ranger debate without any extra issues. I'd personally play a ranger. It's easier for me to generate a back story. I don't like playing classes with Lawful Alignments because it is contrary to my own way of thinking. I just don't enjoy playing Monks, although there are some distinct advantages - you can never be disarmed, and your weapon increases in power as you advance. Encumbrance isn't an issue. Sweet abilities at higher levels. Of course, I often just take Improved Unarmed Strike with characters at first level.

What race are you planning to play?-Human

Why are you deciding between Monk and Ranger?-I never liked playing spellcasters, and wanted something a little more exotic than fighter

Is there something about the other classes that already turned you off?-DM wants to start with only core books for now.

What is the makeup of the rest of your party - Race/Class?-That I know of so far a cleric, and a rogue, we are doing the final work-ups tomorrow before the "game on"

Are you starting at 1st level?-Yup!

What game world are you playing in?-DM was talking about Greyhawk.....

I agree with the lawful aligment point you made. I also don't like the fact that Monks can't use alot of magic items, but they do get great abilities at higher level. I am now tending toward Ranger, but still undecided. I like the two-weapon fighting ability for the Ranger tho...

I really like the ranger class (always have). When I was in a 3.0 campaign a few years ago, I had a halfling ranger. It was alot of fun.

I haven't played D&D in over a year now...I'd like to play, but I just don't have the time for it anymore.

Of the two classes you mentioned, I'd go with the ranger. With the monk, you have a lot of exotic powers to keep up with as you advance in level. Being able to use two weapons will be an advantage, particularly as you advance in level. Also, you get to choose an animal companion (though you don't have to do so at 1st level) and at 4th level a small selection of divine/nature-related spells.

I like playing rangers, btw. :B):

Rangers have a lot to keep up with special abilities, and they do eventually Cast Spells. If you take an Animal Companion you also have to follow the Chart under druid to keep them up to date (Pain in the Hind Squishy Parts.) But they do get some really Awesome Bonuses as well, My Favorite Being a Favored Enemy. I followed the Sword Path with a Wemic Ranger and she was a monster, quite literally, she took over the Realms in the home campaign. (Long story and a lot of levels.)

Monks are nice for a Fighter Type, and I love quivering Palm. They are also a good deal more resistant to damage from other sources such as poisons and traps early on. If you have a caster heavy party they are _very nice._ In Fighter or Ranger Heavy parties Monks can get in the way, if not played well.

Of Course my Favorite Is Druid they are quite literally a jack of all trades class… But you don’t like Casters.

Edit: Oooh I have a Dagger now! :wub: (sorry 50th Post)

I say Ranger. I had a level 6 bow-spec ranger that kicked a lot of butt. With a +1 longbow, rapid shot and favored enemy, she was dealing a lot of damage each round, often more than the fighter in the group was. Rangers are also diverse enough to play around with a little. Don't want a combat-heavy ranger? Then make a tracker or hunter.

I've always liked the ranger myself as well.

then again I've always like bow using characters anyways. My first 3.0, I had a elvish bard but somehow I ended up being a ace with the bow as well, makes me wish I would have started her as a fighter or ranger. ha ha

you said you don't care for spellcasting, but if you have high enough WIS you can always choose the ranger spells (more or less druidic or clerical) when your high enough for them & really all they are outdoorsy, survival type spells that go with the ranger. Also nothing like 6 spells at 1st, 3 at this level that level, it's pretty simple.

RM

I like rangers a great deal, but as you can see so does everyone else. Rangers are a mainstay in all genres of fantasy: Aragorn, Tanis, Robinhood, ect... Thus it is easy to come up with a back story, and they have always been a dominant class in the game.

That being said I like a challenge so I would go with a monk. They ad a bit of flavor to fantasy universes. Besides they have such a varied aray of abilities to make them fun and a challenge.

My two favorite D&D classes to run are druids and rangers (I guess one of these days I'll need to run a multiclass druid/ranger).

Although monks can get powerfull at high levels, I always remember low level monks hiding behind the wizards.

I'll echo Ranger out of those two choices.

Monks suffer from MAD (Multiple Ability Dependancy), needing a good Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom, and Constitution. They are also a fighting class that doesn't get a full BAB (Base Attack Bonus). If you are "replacing" the party Fighter, your low starting AC (unless you have a good Dex and Wis) will work against you.

What race are you planning to play?-Human

Yeah bonus feat and skill point!

Why are you deciding between Monk and Ranger?-I never liked playing spellcasters, and wanted something a little more exotic than fighter

What about Barbarian (for the HPs) or Rogue (weak HPs, but Sneak Attack will increase your damage output nicely)? Also note that in 3.x, the Fighter can be as "exotic" as you want due to being able to customize your feats. Multi-classing may be an option to think about as well...

What is the makeup of the rest of your party - Race/Class?-That I know of so far a cleric, and a rogue, we are doing the final work-ups tomorrow before the "game on".

Rogue's have such a wide range of skills to choose from that having 2 wouldn't be a bad thing. Hopefully someone wants to play a Wizard, they can be very useful

I also don't like the fact that Monks can't use alot of magic items, but they do get great abilities at higher level. I am now tending toward Ranger, but still undecided. I like the two-weapon fighting ability for the Ranger tho...

Be careful not to let your old edition notions cloud your judgement, Monks can use magic items as well. Sure, magic armor is out, but there are magic weapons you can use.

Be careful not to put too much into TWF. You have to hit in order to do damage. That -2 (if you use a light weapon in your off hand) may not seem like much, but it may keep you from hitting. Also, you only get half of your Strength bonus to damage with your off hand weapon (and you round down in 3.x).

What feats are you looking at?

Never any love for the paladins....

Honestly, I've always found that it was more fun to come up with a concept, then figure out how best to make it happen... rather than picking a class and trying to come up with a concept. And even if your DM isn't using it now, ponder what PClasses are out there that you might be interested in (as this could easily help you come up with a concept) - by picking a long-term goal for your character (like a Foe Hunter or Dragonslayer), you'll get a better idea of what class(es), feats, and skills you'll need to eventually qualify for such aspirations.

~v