Painted or Unpainted.

Naterstein

Hi all,

Not trying to sell here, but due to lack of interest by my friends for Warlord and due to their extreme interest in Confrontation, I may end up selling my Necro and Crusader armies since I would hate for them to collect dust.

I have primed and base coated about 30% of the figs. Some even have shading.

I would like someone with auction experience's opinion if I should get em all painted up and try to sell them or just sell the ones I have stared painted and the rest unpainted. Just need some opinions as to which would net me atleast as much as I paid for them or more. I would say that I could paint all the grunts to a good tabletop quality and the upper management to high tabletop quality.

BTW I have about 57 Necro minis and 45 Crusader minis.

Just looking for opinions.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience (just mine...) I have found that unless you can paint fairly well, and are willing to do the entire army up, you would be better off selling them unpainted. If you are a paint stallion (like others here on the board) you can make a decent profit. If not, you are killing yourself time wise and if you actually suck (i.e. don't know what a color wheel looks like...) you can devalue the minis below purchase cost to many buyers.

Just my nickles worth. Best of luck in the sale, but sorry you have to do it.

-------todd---------

I agree: just trying to sell the unprimed and raw minis will be more effective from the time/effort/benefit perspective than painting and then selling unless you are very good and fast. I also suggest grouping the minis into manageable and logical chunks to sell rather than selling large random groups.

Ron

PS: Also price them realistically to start. Probably $1 per mini as a starting point rather than expecting $2-3 per mini to start (unprimed or primed).

If you are a decent or good painter, I'd say paint them up and sell them in small groups. That may net you more than selling them unpainted. If you'd rather save yourself the time or not bother with the risk, I'd say sell them all primed and ready to paint in small lots. But I think if you feel confident you can paint them all well, go for it.

Just need some opinions as to which would net me at least as much as I paid for them or more.

If this is your primary concern, then you will have to paint them. Keep in mind you will probably not be getting paid well for your time invested in painting them, but you will get back what you paid for them.

In my experience, unpainted minis (unless they are out of print) will only get you about 60-70% of their MSRP (less if not in their blister). That not taking into account a low feedback rating...

I once sold a painted reapercon 2004 sophie for $129, but then a month or so ago a bare metal one sold for about $80. It doesn't seem like the painting increased the value of the miniature as much as I would have liked to imagine it would..

I think if you paint them to a reasonably well table-top standard, you could expect to get at least twice their MSRP, I think. But your ebay rating and the quality of pictures you can take will influence what price you receive as well. I find it unlikely you will get back MSRP on bare lead, and imo, something primered and partially painted would devalue it even more, because i'd have to take the time, energy, and chemical headache of stripping them myself.

At the end of the day, though, it's hard to make enough money to make up for the time and effort of painting and you might be better off getting a bit of money back as they are.

/ali

Personally, I'm not going to spend money on Warlord figures already out of the blister and/or primed unless I am getting a considerable discount, like 50% of what I would get retail, minimum, including shipping. Out of the blister means there is more chance of damage to the figure in shipping, loss of pieces, etc. Out of the blister and primed and based means I have to spend additional time cleaning the figures, removing and rebasing them, etc. On ebay, I will seldom even buy anything unless it's around 70% retail, unless I already have a big order through a vendor and they are combining shipping, so the combined shipping and purchase price still comes out to significantly less than I would pay retail. And we're talking new in blister here. An extremely rare, LE figure might have me consider otherwise, but I don't have the money to be spending on those.

My painted figure buying is very limited, but it is honestly the only time I would be willing to consider paying more for a figure than I would get retail. Otherwise, my bidding decisions are based on this:

Purchase Price + Shipping <= Retail Cost, and only if the seller is willing to combine shipping costs on figures to save me money will I consider bidding closer to the model's retail price. Even still, I expect the Purchase Price + Shipping <= Retail Cost, otherwise, it is no bargain to me because I can just as easily head over to my FLGS and buy it there, support my local store, hang out with some friends of they are there. And I don't have to wait a week for it to arrive USPS and make sure someone is around to receive the package.

Without painting them, I find it really hard to see you completely recouping your original purchasing expense. I'd either spend the time to paint them up and see what you get, or just cut your losses, consider the fun you had playing with them initially as payment for the models, and get whatever you can for them.

You might have a better bet just listing in your signature here that you are looking to unload some Crusader figures and would like interested parties to PM you. At least here there is already going to be some native interest in the figures, and you might find a sympathetic wallet of someone considering Crusaders.

Unfortunately, I just recently completed all my Crusader model purchases. There has been quite a bit of them available on eBay recently.

If you have absolutely no interest in painting warlord figures any further, then sell them. People will expect to have a hugh discount especially if all of them are out of their blister packs. You get a few dollars back but will not recover your cost. Since Warlord is not that popular, you will be luck if you get more than $20 back on ebay.

Selling a few painted figures also does not work well unless you build up a reputation as a good painter on ebay. As mentioned before, WL is not that popular. Most of the people who decide to get into this game actually like to paint themselves with their own painting styles and color scheme. They dont want to have a squad that does not fit well with the rest of their army.

The last alternative is to paint them up yourself. Who knows? WL may make a come back one day. Remember Warhammer 40K. It started as Rogue Trader with only space marines and orks and it took them more than a couple of years to evolve into 40K. Warlord is far from being dead. If you want to get a significant portion of your dollars back, a fully painted army is more valuable.

Just my 2 cents.

This is a final follow-up on this thread. Recently, someone tried to sell a batch of Crusader figures that were primed on ebay. They consisted of 3 Justicars, 5 Justicars, 3 Unforgiven, 3 Templar Knights, 6 Battle Nuns, 1 Hound of Judgement, 1 Kristiana and 1 Halbarad. The starting price was around $3 and none were sold. On the other hand, those that were unopened in the blister packs were easily auctioned off.

So, if you are not prepared to finish printing them, don't open the blister pack. Otherwise, try to finish painting them and sell one at a time.