Dark Elf Ranger

No Remorse

Heya all

Been a very long time since i have been on these boards. Lately I have become a bit tired of doing so much GW stuff so decided for a bit of fun to paint up an old reaper mini I had lying around. This guy became and experiment in contrast and trying to produce rich colours, through colour and temperature contrasts. He came out quite bold and a bit cartoony but I am still happy with the results, since it is quite the deviation from my usual style. I am not particularly happy with the base so may try something different for him.

Here are the pics, look forward to getting your replies.

Ja

Drizzt1.jpg

Drizzt2.jpg

Drizzt3.jpg

Drizzt4.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, my eyes looked at the picture before I read your blog part...

My first impressions were.. beautiful paintjob, but dont like the color pallet combo. The dark elf with nice pretty vivid green and red, just didnt work for me.

But, then I read where you said you were trying to do something different and trying to get more vivd colors.

So, my response is, your paintjob from a purely technical point of view is beautiful. The blending and shading is awesome. The detail work is darn spiffy as well.

Just dont like the color choices for his clothing.

I agree. Love the painting. Question the colors.

I'd also say that some variance in the colors of the metal might also help. There ends up being an awful lot of bluish in the picture. Then again, maybe it wouldn't seem so against a different colored background. Have you tried anything other than a blue background? The armor seems to get lost a bit against it.

I did what Jason did too; jumped immedaitely to the pics before coming back and reading the post. The very first impression that I got was that someone had tried to paint up a mini for their EQ or WoW character; the style and colors scream animation. Your work is beautiful, even if the color scheme isn't the most complimentary. I'd still be very pleased to have something like this in my personal collection. Nice work!

~v

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THIS BE A "FAILED" EXPERIMENT!!!!!!!!!

Just because he has a more anime-ish look to his coloring in no way implies failure. Your painting technique is superb! You stated yourself that you wanted to deviate from your usual, and you did. I think the mini looks fantastic, and I like the colors. It is good to go bold every no and then.

Keep up the incredible work, and continue to do a little deviation now and agian, it is good for the soul.

Hey there -

I actually think the clothing color is interesting and refreshing, but I think it does not mesh that great with the flesh. If the flesh were a humanish fleshy color, I think the clothing wouldn't bother people as much.

I really dig the flesh, though. It looks nice. Definately looks night a WoW night elf.. :)