Kelen WIP, Rackham

Since I have been away I forgot how great this forum can be so I would love to get your input on this guy.

Once again being tired of my usual style I decided to branch out and try something new. So I dug into my box of minis and picked out Kelen.

My thoughts are to make him a very dark looking character, by using muted tones and zenithal lighting. Two things I really need practice on, considering usually I work with ambient light sources and more solid colours.

Here is what I have done so far. You can tell the right shoulder and left arm are different. I had started ont he left arm, but decided this morning to try some contrast shading on the right shoulder, rather than tonal shading. Which do you think looks more realistic?

Now I really want your input on this guy, although not much is done so far. I am trying to push past alot of boundaries I had set for myself by being in a painting rut for that last few years, so please feel free to offer any advice and criticisms you have.

Thanks

Ja

KelenWIP3.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I have done so far. You can tell the right shoulder and left arm are different. I had started ont he left arm, but decided this morning to try some contrast shading on the right shoulder, rather than tonal shading. Which do you think looks more realistic?

I should start off by saying that I haven't had art class since about 6th grade, so what I'm about to say comes from personal research/experience. It depends on what I'm painting, but overall I prefer contrast shading by far. For shading in general, I rarely use black unless it's... well, black mostly. ^_^ I'll often use blues and/or violets to shade a color as the end result is much richer. This is what I did with my Wolfen Hunter:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=175423811&size=o

With black, you end up with a muddier shade by far which is a lot less pleasing (at least to my eyes). I'll often use a complementary color to shade my primary as well. For instance, if I'm using Cadmium Umber Red as my primary/base, I'll mix in green for my shade (Black Green in this case). At the time, I didn't even realize the theory behind it. It just looked like it'd work well. ^^; If I want to change the tone a bit, I'll add some grey to this mix. This is exactly what I used for my Christmas Sophie:

http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/album24/open_3

On the other hand, I'm currently painting a mini that has blue jeans and am fooling around with tonal shading for it. (It's a LE mini that came with the Xbox 360 game Prey =) Prussian Blue is my base and I applied gradiated layers of Dark Prussian Blue for the shading. Conversely, I used opaque paint for shading the Christmas Sophie and glazed the basecoat color for the gradiation. Just trying different things, although I can see where some techniques would work better for different colors.

Concerning your mini, the shading on the left shoulder looks far too orange for my tastes. The shading on the right shoulder, however, is spot-on. Lovely job. Just curious, but what's your paint palette for skin there?

Yup so I opted fort he contrast shading. As for colours I started with flat flesh, then shaded with medium flesh, tinted it with a little salmon rose, then continued shadin with azure blue, then blended it back in by glazing it with medium flesh.

Here is a shot with his skin complete. ONe question I have is whenther I should lighten up the left arm, since that will be the direction of the Zenithal light, or if I should darken the right arm, or just leave it alone?

KelenWIP5.jpg

You would be absoloutly amazed at how much the tone of the left arm will darken up once you no longer have a white cloak beaming bright light onto it like a reflector dish off a satelite. (Ok...so I have a flair for the dramatic.) I would suggest painting some other stuff first, then see where the shade/ highlight needs to go.

Just me...thats how I do it....not a law or anything...

------Todd-----

I started the cloak, turned out good so far. I started with green grey, then shaded with middlestone and violet, after which I glazed with middlestone.

The skin tones look great and I love the look of the cloak. Great color choices. Are you aiming for a worn leather? All I would add is a few subtle glazes of Middlestone at the top of the cloak (front view) to make it look more believable. At any rate, you're doing a great job in maintaining the Rackham look with your paint-job. I love it. I take it you're using washes for your shading?

Pretty much, the mix I am using right now is about 2 parts water 2 parts glaze medium and 1 part paint.

Given the fact that you use VMC quite a bit as well, I was wondering if you've ever had problems with your paint skinning on you. Since I paint with very thin paint often times, I find myself clear coating my mini every now and again to preserve the layers underneath. I still have to try RMS paints, but from what I know they have a lot more tooth like VGC. I did just pick-up 10 RMS triads recently with a gift certificate I won, so I'm looking forward to fooling around with them. Also, have you tried VMC's thinner?

I used to have the skinning problem when I used extender in my mix, but ever since I stopped using that I haven't had that. I haven't tried the thinner yet, I do own a bottle which I got from the VMC paint case, I may experiment with it one day to see how it works out.

Ja

Thanks for the encouragement. :;):

So I finished up the bottom cloak this morning. I didn't want to stick with the leather all the way so I switched it up for pastel green, which I really like. The question is now what to do with the armor. I was thinking about carrying the green up, and make it lacquered armor, but I am open to suggestions. Btw the green was done by first painting paleblue, then gunship green and finally mahogany sand.

Ja

KelenWIP8.jpgKelenWIP9.jpg

This looks pretty nice so far, Jason. On the back of the cloak, there appears to be a thin line of your top highlight in the middle of one of your shade regions. Is this intended? It looks a bit out of place to me.