Yet more rules questions...

Ler

Ok so I recently picked up Artemis the Huntress and six Merc Spearman just for a cheap 140pt unit that I can use to bolster my Elves or Necropolis if necessary (I realise that I lose my army special abilities but I can live with that, and we're all only just getting into warlord so don't have huge forces or anything yet, it gives me more flexibility when playing against other people in what I can field).

Anyway, with regards to my Necropolis, I decided to replace Naomi (as cool as she is) with that merc unit as well as Leisynn the Mage as they come to roughly the same ammount of points as Naomi does on her own (the only Necropolis mage I own at present) and would give me a little more flexibility (extra unit = extra card, more troops on the table and I still get a level 3 mage).

My question is, given that Artemis can't take any elites, I'm gonna have to put them in a unit that can. That unit is going to have to be a Necropolis one. Can you put merc elites into faction units? I can't find anything that says you can't, but I might have missed it.

Second question is, if I have a totem of battle (I just finished painting up that DH sacrificial altar for my totem), does it only give bonuses to my Necropolis troops, or does it include my merc ones too?

Thanks once again! I do try to check the FAQs and whatnot, but there is quite a bit of errata and I often miss stuff, so there's a fair few things I'm still unsure about. I'm not being lazy or anything.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I recently picked up Artemis the Huntress and six Merc Spearman just for a cheap 140pt unit that I can use to bolster my Elves or Necropolis if necessary (I realise that I lose my army special abilities but I can live with that, and we're all only just getting into warlord so don't have huge forces or anything yet, it gives me more flexibility when playing against other people in what I can field).

Anyway, with regards to my Necropolis, I decided to replace Naomi (as cool as she is) with that merc unit as well as Leisynn the Mage as they come to roughly the same ammount of points as Naomi does on her own (the only Necropolis mage I own at present) and would give me a little more flexibility (extra unit = extra card, more troops on the table and I still get a level 3 mage).

My question is, given that Artemis can't take any elites, I'm gonna have to put them in a unit that can. That unit is going to have to be a Necropolis one. Can you put merc elites into faction units? I can't find anything that says you can't, but I might have missed it.

Second question is, if I have a totem of battle (I just finished painting up that DH sacrificial altar for my totem), does it only give bonuses to my Necropolis troops, or does it include my merc ones too?

Thanks once again! I do try to check the FAQs and whatnot, but there is quite a bit of errata and I often miss stuff, so there's a fair few things I'm still unsure about. I'm not being lazy or anything.

You're essentially making a Freelance army right now, and can mix and match within troops from whatever factions, so long as there is no good and evil in the entire build.

There is a 25% Merc rule that has been discussed and some version will be formally introduced in the Mercenary Faction Book which is slated for release after the Overlord Book. This will allow you to field 25% of your total build as Mercenaries, and still retain faction abilities. IIRC, however, all the Mercs need to be fielded within their own units, and they do not get the benefits of the Host Faction SA.

A Totem of Battle applies to your entire force, irregardless of Faction affiliation.

Actually, Qwyk, I'm pretty sure that the totem effects only apply to faction models; why should mercs gain the benefits of the Altar of the Necros? I wish I had my book here so that I could pull up the relevant passage...

EDIT: But, there's a good passage in the Errata/Clarifications that supports my point in a roundabout way:

(from the heading Totem + Spells)

"In regards to a mercied model, 'It's affiliation becomes Crusader/Good and its type becomes Grunt' and therefore does qualify for the bonus granted by the Totem."

Which in turn implies that unless a model has the Crusader/Good affiliation, it does not gain the Totem bonus of the Crusaders, such as a Mercenary/Neutral affiliation model might have. Make sense?

~v

Yeah, that's what made me question it really. It's an altar of death and stuff, not the merc "whatever" totem, so from a fluff perspective, I can't imagine the mercs caring too much about what those twisted vampires do on their stone slab. That and the mercs affiliation being different (merc/neutral or evil).

Yeah, that's what made me question it really. It's an altar of death and stuff, not the merc "whatever" totem, so from a fluff perspective, I can't imagine the mercs caring too much about what those twisted vampires do on their stone slab. That and the mercs affiliation being different (merc/neutral or evil).

Under the Totem of Battle section in the core book it lists all factions and their totem. The chart lists Mercs/ Freelance and states their totem is "As Appropriate".

I agree with Qwyksilver, all models of the army would benefit from the totem provided it was purchased as a Freelance totem.

Anthony

Emmel indicated in another thread items that have an effect on an entire force affect the Mercs too, and specifically indicated the Totem.

Re-read the original post again. Must have forgotten that whole basic english comprehension bit.

Edited by Qwyksilver

Emmel indicated in another thread items that have an effect on an entire force affect the Mercs too, and specifically indicated the Totem.

See .... this is one of the biggest problems with Warlord . Someone somewhere ruled "X" , now one has to find the thread or look through the errata . There comes a stage where the whole rulebook/errata needs to be recompiled and rewritten . <_<

Regardless of the 25% mercs rule; this "affiliation" issue is in need of clarification. Since such a ruling regarding the totem appears nowhere in the current Errata document, I'm inclined to follow the letter of the book. Now that I have my book in front of me, take the following passages as examples (2nd printing pages numbers and text):

first, from the Data Card description, p. 48

"(3) Affiliation: The Model's Affiliation (Good, Neutral, Evil). A Fighting Company may not have both Good and Evil. The item after the slash is the Model's Army (Reptus, Crusaders, Mercenary, Dark Spawn, etc.)"

next, the relevant passage from Totem of Battle, p. 75

"Bonus: +1 (MAV) to All Models in the Fighting Company Affiliation: A Company may only buy one Totem of battle from the proper Army Roster. The benefits of the Totem of Battle only affect Models in the Fighting Company that purchased it."

from Mercy, p.110

"A single Model from a Troop of the Crusader Affiliation that has inflicted enough Damage to reduced (sic) an Enemy Model to less than zero may instead opt to offer Mercy."

from Bane, p.110

"Enemy Models with the Tough Special Ability that are slain by Models of the Dwarf Affiliation are considered to have been instantly Coup de Graced and are considered slain/killed/fatality (sic) instead of Stunned."

from Cross River's Death, p.110

"Any Model with the Nefsokar Affiliation may conduct a Use Special Ability Action in order to exchange places with any slain (but not merely Stunned) friendly Model's corpse that is within 36" and is in Line of Sight."

and the list goes on... but you get the idea.

It's all clear to me now... clear as mud, that is.

~v

As I posted in another thread, there are a few things that are written one way, and a few that are written another.

For example, Mercy specifically states that the model offering Mercy must be of the Crusaders affiliation.

Practice Makes Perfect, on the other hand, simply specifies all models in an Elf Fighting Company. Which implies that, unless the 25% mercs rule specifically says differently, mercs attached to an Elf Fighting Company do gain Sure Shot, Ridgerunner, and Wood Strider.

Exactly es05normway. And while I'd be very happy to be wrong about all of this, I just wanna know what the official line is. The fact is, I ocassionally sacrifice my Reptus faction abilities to take a small amount of models from another faction to fill in the Reptus weaknesses (and let's face it, you don't lose that much when you give up the Reptus faction abilities), but I rarely take a totem then, as it always seemed that the effects would only apply to the Reptus Affiliation models within my Freelance Company. If this is the case, I'll be more than happy to slap that totem in there and take the bonus for the entire force.

~v

When you build a Freelance force, you are not building a Reptus Army with some other guys added in, you are building an Affiliation Freelance force. Your Faction SA are the flexibility of Model selection. Alignment still plays a factor, but your models would essentially become Affiliation: Freelance/Neutral (or Good/Evil).

The Totem works for Freelance force just as it would for any other faction.

From Emmel's post regarding the 25% Mercenary Rule:

Players may field up to 25% of the game's agreed point cost (1500 point game would be 375) in Mercenaries and still retain their Faction's army special abilities, if the rest of their army is composed of only one faction (or a sublist). These Mercenary models do not gain the Mercenary army special abilities. Mercenary models must be fielded in seperate troops from the Faction Troops. Troop to solo ratios apply seperately to the faction and mercenary troops, therefore you may not field more Mercenary Solos than you field Mercenary Troops, regardless of how many Faction Troops and Solos you are fielding and vice versa. Spells, Equipment and other upgrades taken by Mercenary models apply against the 25% point value limit. Spells, Equipment, and other upgrades that affect your entire army (such as a battle totem) do not affect Mercenary Models.

The problem with that, Qwyk, is that nowehere (that I'm aware of) is a Freelance army ever listed as an Affiliation. I'm all for it if that is the case, but it should be clarified that Freelance is, in fact, an Affiliation. Or, that the only true Affiliations are Good, Neutral, Evil, Good/Neutral, and Evil/Neutral. Or whatever it is they're trying to make it mean...

Right now, the Affiliation term seems either have an ambiguous definition (why is it used to reference an alignment-based topic in one area, then a Faction-based one in another?), or is being used improperly in some passages. If you are going to capitalize Affiliation and make it an official game term, then the meaning and useage ought to be consistent. Which, incidentally, would have eliminated this entire discussion from the beginning. :;):

~v