Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Another take on "broccoli bases"

Well we've seen 11 pages on the merits/flaws of integrated broccoli bases for the DHL line. I have a different idea.

Now that Reaper is producing metal bases for wood planking (pirates, anyone?) and cobblestones, I'd like to see them produce both round and square broccoli bases for attaching over plastic slotta bases. I've just gotten really (even more) lazy. I've been buying Heresy sculpted metal flagstone bases and using them to avoid flocking, and give a nice dungeon look for D&D.

If Reaper produced the broccoli in a round 25mm size, I could paint and texture lots of wargaming models to blend nicely with the grass and desert battlemats, and avoid flock and glue.

Thoughts?

Most people will offer to lynch people who dont flock or sand bases in some way or another.

Personally, I learned how to drybrush on the broccoli basses, so i have a nostalgic affinity to them.

You could make your owm broccoli type bases pretty easily. If you are interested in that rout...let me know and I will send you some linkeys.

---------todd------------

Bryan said the new skull bases fit into the depression in the 1" Warlord bases. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see more like this if they sell well. So buy lots of the skulls AND ask for more bases like them ^_^

Maybe it's not so much laziness--drybushing/inking/shading a precast metal base can be as much work as flock and glue, but you don't have bits of material in your cases, and all over the place.

Maybe it's not so much laziness--drybushing/inking/shading a precast metal base can be as much work as flock and glue, but you don't have bits of material in your cases, and all over the place.

I'd like to have detailed bases that I could paint vs flock. I hate sloppily flocked bases with just a little sand and a tiny rock added. Flocking looks great when it is almost a mini vignette(sp) or diorama with layers, multi colored grass and sand, tufts of grass, snow covered rock piles, wind rippled sand etcetera. If flocking isn't super with detail that matches the detail of the mini, it takes away from the sculpt. I generally dry brush or rag off my bases in a marbled effect like each mini was a tiny statue or create a very detailed flock.

Dig. Now just make some broccoli bases that fit in there perfectly, and we have another option than piles of skulls. Round ones too for us that play other games than Warlord.

I've started using this more in my base work instead of the Pumice Paste: Liquitex Blended Fiber Texture Gel

Add in a few drops of paint to give you a nice rich color for your base of choice and you're pretty much all set. When it dries, depending on how you apply it, you can give yourself a broccoli looking base, if that's what you really want. basically, you need to make sure there is a lot of fiber in your base. Buying some fiberglass that is used in clay scultping and adding it in will give you a stringier texture to the gel for a more Brocco style.

I just thing they have to stop with the premade metal bases on the DHL line.

I've had so many issues cutting thru them to get rid of them (with damage to the mini in some cases)....

One thing I like of GW, none of their minis come with pre-based bases.

It's very old skool..and just a nuisance (ie. for all the people who like them, it's easier for them to just glue it to a regular GW base or something, compared to the rest of us, cutting them off).

Sanjay

It's very old skool..and just a nuisance (ie. for all the people who like them, it's easier for them to just glue it to a regular GW base or something, compared to the rest of us, cutting them off).

Sanjay

Not necessarily true. For wargammers yes, but for those who want more in a base, the flat base can be adapted to many different basing situations. The slot tab doesn't give you nearly enough material to work with for all situations. Personally, I like to sink the broccoli base into a larger sunken base that I can then fill as needed with various basing materials. You can't do this on a slotted base because it is pre-raised to the level of the feet and there is little room left for creative basing. See my Thornback Troll for one example of where I used this technique to add demension to the base.

Beyond that, plastic bases are way too light for my tastes.

My 2 cents.

TS