14212 Lady Kristinana

abigail

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the boards. I like how the eyes came out and the colors you have chosen as well. Base is really well done.

As for tips, I would suggest putting in more highlights. I noticed that her hair and the buckles could use something to make them stand out.

Well...you obviously have base work down pat!

I am going to go the opposite of the highlight crowd here and suggest that shadeing and darklining would help out in addition to the highlights.

The folds of her robes could be darker, I would do an inking with watered down pink and a dash of purple ink...just me...

I like the eyes on her and have to say excelent brush control on the contours of her armor.

Also, as a matter of personal preferance, I would paint the dots on the hilts of her swords as some type of gemstone.

Good work, keep it up!

yeah... I needed to put more dark lining around her bukles in the back... but flacked out.. I thnk I was tired..

but this was the first mini I have used the dark lining technique with. Were I literally paint a line around the 'objects'. Normally I would of just washed it..... but i think actually lining it is a better technique but challenging...

Soo easy too messs up!

Yeah I always end up wanting more hightlight.. but on her I ended up using alot of white hightlight since her color are so light.... I wanted to keep her light and bright... I also thnk the dull coat seems to dull the white colors alot...

agree i probably need it a little darker in the fold of her dress in the back...

Your paint job looks very clean, so you are on the right track. The colors you picked work well together.

I think both sides are right on this, the shadows should be a little darker and the highlights brighter if you want this to go to the next level. The hair highlighting should go all the way to linen white in the brightest spots. The skin and cloth close to if not up to linen white. Highlight until you think you've gone too bright, add one more highlight level brighter, then let dry and seal. That seems to be the rule that works.

You could add additional shadow to further define the upswept cloth bits.

In regards to the black lining; Try next black lining after you prime. This may not be the typical user does it but if you make a mistake you can cover it. :;): This gives you practice with brush control (not that you need it seeing your eyes) but also how it flows.

Nice work, abigail. ^_^ I think the color scheme works rather well and the base is spot-on. What I would suggest has been stated more or less already. I'd suggest adding a 4:1 (water:paint/ink) shading wash for each of the colors (earthy brown for the gold or a Chestnut ink equivalent for metallic gold, etc.). If you're not too comfortable in painting in the shading, you can apply a liberal yet controlled wash over the entire area. After this is dry, paint your basecoat/midtone color where it isn't shaded, then highlight up accordingly. Even if your highlights become too bright/light, you can always enrich the color and smooth the blends by glazing over these areas (I generally use my midtone to glaze).

I highly recommend RMS's Brown Liner for dark-lining as it is more forgiving than paint alone (i.e., if you achieve the same intensity of dark-lining with paint, it's a lot more difficult to clean up any mistakes). I dilute the Brown Liner anywhere from 1:1 to 2:1 ratio (water-to-liner).