movie manners

Almathea Toes

A "rude movie-goer" moment that seems funny now in retrospect...

My friends and I had gone to see the much-anticipated release of the Spiderman movie. During the movie there was a family seated towards the front, whose children were all armed with glo-sticks. Apparently they mistook the theater for a rave. Towards the end, during the epic battle vs. the Green Goblin, the kids got bored and started running up and down the aisle, screaming SPIDERMAN!!, and taking turns kicking each other.

Later, I was forced to wait as the whole family strolled down the center of the parking lot. I contemplated whether I'd be doing anyone a favor if I "accidentally" slammed on the gas...but decided against it.

I don't understand why people even bother taking kids to movies. Kid-movie or not, most don't have the patience. Better to just rent a movie and let then wander off when they get bored. I've got a "womb-goblin" of my own, and I haven't been to a movie with him yet. Best to leave him at home and watch a movie I want to see, rather than the latest steaming pile Nickelodeon or Disney grunts out.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my yoiunger days, when my little ones were strollerbound, if my wife and I went to a Movie, we took them. No Sitter. But we always sat in the back row, next to the door. If or when the kid started to make noise of any kind, Parent closest to door picked the kid up out of the stroller, and exited the theater.

Sure, we missed half of lots of movies, but nobody ever complained.

These days, I go to movies all the time, but I go to midnight showings of b-horror movies, where glowsitcks and yelling at the screen are encouraged. There's something thrilling about cheering for the guy with the chainsaw, and mocking the teenagers on screen for just about anything they are doing. Nobody goes for the movie, though, we go for the experience.

Wehn I do go to normal movies, we do not hesitate to get managers involved. IMHO doing nothing will perpetuate the problem. A kid gets kicked out of a couple screening, though, they will either modify their behaviour or stop going. Either way, we all win.

Oh man.. people in movies. Not sure I should even start on this rant, it's just gonna make me mad.

My biggest peeve is people who bring their babies into adult rated movies! I came into this theater to watch some blood and gore, possibly some gratuitous sex, not listen to your baby bawl half the time. I've gone and gotten management to throw those people out of the theater for their babies more than anything else ever. And what's funny is they shoot me the nastiest meanest looks.

Now, babies in kids movies, ok, I'm up with that. It's a kid movie, kids should be there. Not in Dawn of the Dead screaming their head off.

grrrrr.

This one bugs the crap out of me too. I work at a theater as an usher and these are the worst people to deal with. Not only have their kids annoyed the entire theater, but when you go ask them to leave, they inevitably try to play the I paid good money to see this movie card. To which I always respond, "Everyone else paid to see this movie also, and they didn't pay to listen to a screaming kid." as I'm ushering them out of the theater (usually to some sort of applause!)

I don't mind kids at kids movies, unless it's a rated movie and the kids are not old enough. Rude kids however is different. Just like rude adults annoy me rude kids annoy me. My personal experience though is that it's most often teens being rude and having bad manners, not actual kids.

Teens are a relatively new invention in the scope of human history. In ages past, it was men and boys, women and girls, and none of this half way stuff.

I agree with you however that it is that age group that is usually the culprit, but here in Philly I've seen behavior like that from people old enough to know better. Fights, arguments, loud, rude talking, cell phones, etc. I can't be bothered anymore.

I was watching a DVD last night, and the only interuption was from my pitbull-chihuahua wanting to wrestle with her rope toy.

The more people I encounter, the more I like my dogs.

These days, I go to movies all the time, but I go to midnight showings of b-horror movies, where glowsitcks and yelling at the screen are encouraged. There's something thrilling about cheering for the guy with the chainsaw, and mocking the teenagers on screen for just about anything they are doing. Nobody goes for the movie, though, we go for the experience.

Aryanun and I enjoy going to a group arond here who has a giant inflatable screen. We saw Freddy vs Jason at one of their events, and the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre at one of the actual locations they shot the film at. While the glowsticks haven't happened, there's something special about watching a bad movie with a thousand other people and everyone laughing at the same terrible acting. Not to mention all the absolute roar of cheers whenever a pointless "shower scene" shows up.

There is a time and a place for "bad" movie manners. But man, we must be getting old (collectively) to be complaining like this.

My "womb goblin" (BTW, call her that to my face and I'll give you a verbal flaying while my wife kicks you in the nuts, thank you for your time) has been able to sit through a full length movie since about age 2.

It ain't hard to haul your kid out when she misbehaves. Adults are altogether more problematic.

Nah we're not old, we're just polite. I'm only 23 right smack in the age group of "misbehaviours".

I am now officially happy with my movie experiences. That was about the only time I've ever really had a problem, and I use to go to the movies all the time, and went once a week for most of this summer. Then again this was my first non-matinee in years.

Maybe that's it? The time of the showing I usually see movies in the early afternoon, almost never in the evening.

Movie theatres here also do weekly special 10:30 showings for mom's with babies. If you don't have a baby you can't get in.