Neverwinter Nights 2 releasing tomorrow

Darkstar

Does anyone else plan on picking this one up? I played NWN 1 a year or so after it came out and had a good time with that game. I played Single Player only and didn't delve into any of the MP aspects of the game, but I heard good things about it. This one looks promising.

I just blew my "hobby budget" on a bunch of new brushes so won't be able to pick this title up right at release, but will definately be grabbing it in a couple of weeks. Hopefully this will allow them to release a patch for it as it's sure to be totally unstable and bug ridden right after release like almost all PC games nowadays. :lol:

Totally looking forward to this release, but almost 100% of all PC games I've purchased at release over the last two years have been severely buggy and almost unplayable without heavy tweaking until they were patched. Oblivion, SW Battlefront, Titan Quest, SpellForce, DMoM&M to name a few. All technical disasters out of the box, but all became better after the first couple of performance patches or player developed work-around fixes.

Actually I'm kind of glad I'm waiting a couple of weeks to pick this one up...that way all the people who pre-ordered will have the "fun" of experiencing all the crashes/lockups/showstopper bugs etc...and hopefully will have some workarounds or patches ready by the time I install this sucker. I swear, official release these days is more like "open Beta testing" where the majority of issues come to light but you have to pay the company full retail to actually beta test their product. :grr:

Listen to me gripe about a game that hasn't even been released yet LOL, call me pessimistic, but from my experience of late...almost all pc games are being rushed to release without as much QA as I'm sure the developers and public would like. Lowered expectations, but I'm sure the game will be fun :P

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, well I was just reading that in Isreal, people have already got their copies and are reporting a patch immediately being available, around 80mbs or so. Here's a thread on the NW2 boards discussing it, if you're bored or curious.

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewt...um=109&sp=0

Guess the guy is saying the game looks beautiful and runs smoothly about 20fps on his 1g ram x800 radeon system with full shadows, around 30fps without. My card is much better and they're already patching so I'm starting to get hope that this release will be a little smoother than others lately. *keeping fingers crossed*

I have it preordered at Gamestop here in town. Preorder also allowed me to get the toolset now + when the game releases a feat called Merchant's Friend (gives discount to items purchased + each class gets a class item)

it'll be around a week or 2 before I pick it up, but it's one I'm looking forward too. Played mostly the single player NWN1 campaign, but I did play in a couple online games using mods made up by other players (Shadow something was really great!!!), + don't have a fantasy computer game right now, other then Guild Wars, so hopefully this will fill that void.

RM

I preordered it, :wub: I preorder the LE when I Preordered the Nightfall (guild wars) Collectors edition, and I've been paying 5 or 10 dollars on it here and there so i can pick it up tomorrow after the 2 pm UPS truck delivers to my Local Game stop. :blush: I am going to be really busy between real world, new GW expantion, Painting and NWN2.... I'm officially a Geek. :rolleyes:

I've ordered it, but not sure how much I'll get to play it, since I'm still a WoW guy. I'm about to get my sixth level 60 character there. :-p

Hehe, I have 4 60's now. I put that game on hold until the expansion though. Hit rank 10 on my Mage shortly after they released x-realms BG's and am now just sitting tight until Burning Crusade comes out. Got a really family friendly casual guild where most peeps are taking some time off right now, but we're all really looking forward to all the new content. WoW is still fun, once you learn how to balance the treadmill with RL though haha. Took me awhile and I quit a couple of times, but I play it for fun now and I still enjoy it oddly enough after all this time. I was sucked into it pretty good at first though, now I'm a true casual. I stopped raiding anything above 20 man dungeons and rolled on an RP server and have alot of fun there. If you don't raid, it's pretty easy to get capped out on a character gear-wise, and not much else to do other than that...so eagerly awaiting the expansion to get back into the game.

Until then NW2 is looking like it will "fill the void" as Haldir mentioned. I'd like to try the online play one day, I'm dying to see how the game actually plays...looks very similar to the first one in the screenshots, I've heard they let you directly control your companions now in "Puppet Mode" and people are saying that's way better than the AI henchman in the first Neverwinter game. The AI henchman were a big pain, I remember using a mod that let you micromanage their inventories and give them "nudges" in the proper way to handle themselves...but it was still awkward and clumsy. Since they've improved on that..well that was one of my major complaints with the first game, it's good news.

the one thing I hated about the first one was you couldn't give items to your henchman (at least basic no mods, you couldn't). I always used the thief they gave you, so I would have love to give him some better armor, but no matter what nothing.

played WoW when it came out but got fustrated with it about close to a year into it. Haven't went back, glad I haven't. Then again City of Heroes/Villians eats up my online gaming these days, which reminds me I need to install Nightfall later today (I've had it for 2 days now & it's still sitting in the box. ha ha). + work on a couple costume slots via Trick or Treating before the halloween event closes.

RM

I couldn't stand the wait any longer and bought the game over Direct2Drive. I'm a patient person, I would even describe myself as a very patient person...but there are times when you "just gotta have it NOW".

As I suspected there were some technical difficulties installing and running the game, but after about an hour I had the main problem resolved. Seems that I had to upgrade my .net framework to a more recent version to get the game to even start up, and since I downloaded the game from Direct2Drive, there was an issue with the patching process, but they said they're working on it and will have it resolved today hopefully.

The game is playable at least and let me say...I've just started it now on my weekely day off, and don't expect to be putting it down until well into tomorrow morning.

Very beautiful game, runs like a dream on my system. The game controls so much like the first game that if you've played it before you will feel right at home. The Character creation is much better though and more in depth. For instance in the first game, if you wanted to play an Elf, you were just that, an Elf. In this game, if you select Elf, it lets you choose from Moon Elf, Sun Elf, Wood Elf and Drow. Each variety has it's own set of racial color schemes to choose from as well as Dieties to worship, although there is alot of bleedthrough in the Dieties to be expected. The downside is that I was expecting there to be more options for choosing your facial features. Very sparse compared to other games like Oblivion or even DDO. Those games allow you to tweak almost every detail on your characters face, whereas this game only lets you choose from 3 stock heads. A "pretty" one, an "ugly evil" one, and a "brutish dumb" one. That is the only drawback that I have about the game so far. Other than, I'm loving this title.

Well, off to play...Going though right now with a Neutral Good Ranger, the game so far reminds me of how I felt when I first played the Baldur's Gate series, not regretting spending the money on this title at all currently, which is definately not par for the course with most games that I buy.

As I've never used the .NET Microsoft thingee, what is that for?? When I downloaded the toolset via preorder it upgraded mine as well.

I'll probably pick this up Friday afternoon. Darkstar & anyone else, we should try & get a weekly game going

RM

Really interested in this title myself gang. Hey Decado, I too hope my system can handle it... Anybody have any advice on what to look for to see if one's home PC will support a new game like this. NWN 1 runs great on my system, is NWN 2 comparable at all regarding system requirments?

Thanks!

SK, currently being crushed by RL