Sharyn, Female Wizard

chika

Here is my latest paint job for a character that I have in a friend's D&D game. I just noticed the white spot on the staff while doing this post and believe me it will definitely be fixed because I'm usually picky when I paint.

I tried a different technique for the skin and I don't know if I like it, but my boyfriend does and keeps trying to keep this mini with his collection.

I am going to change the base as soon as I figure out what I want it to look like.

Any suggestions and criticisms welcome.

post-3361-1162352569.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks really good. Nice colors and the staff looks great (other than the white spot you pointed out). Maybe it's the photo, but there seems to be something on her right hand; the color looks off.

I've noticed that I see white spots in a picture that I didn't notice when I looked at the mini. Guess the camera has a better eye than I do.

The face skin looks good. You've got some nice depth and highlights too it. The hand needs some more smoothing out.

the cloak is a bit chalky... you might try and do a wash on it to give it more of a blended look.

Instead of using black around the eyes, you might try and use a dark brown.... the brings them out more without looking like heavy makeup. As for the base... add a little grass and rocks... that goes a long way on any mini.

Good job.

Paint is on the mini and is more than three colors. This is good!

I agree that you are having a chalky paint issue. I would suggest thinner paint next time. In this instance you can ink the mini and it will help to tone down the grainy look.

Excelent brush control and your eyes look great. The blending worked out great on the staff, but not so well on the cloak. I suggest using a few more color gradients in your blends. (ie, instead of two or three different blues...go to five or 6.) It may be a bit of overkill, but it helps in the developement of blending skills.

Good work though. Keep it coming!

The chalky-ness seems to be a by product of technique? It looks like you use dry-brushing. (I'm not going to step into the dry-brushing minefield ::P: ...it's a technique that has it's place). You can see that the technique works extremely well for textured items like the staff and the groundwork.

Washes will help a bit, but you might get frustrated that you keep muting out your hard work (the highlights). Painting with thin layers will help you maintain a little more control.

Great stuff!

AWhang

This gal is primed and waiting on my paint table right now, so I'm glad to see someone else's take on her!

The eyes are my favorite part--nice and even. Highlighting and color choice for the wood on the staff looks good, too.

Looks like there's a spot of flesh colored paint in the hair near her right cheek, but may it may be a reflection in the photo.

She's nifty! Inspiration to go paint mine...as soon as I finish the ones in line ahead of her ::D:

She looks good, and I like the blues you painted her with. The feathers look really nice, and someone else already pointed out what I noticed about the cloak. (I've done that many times myself.) One thing I'd suggest is to put a tiny dot of white on the pupils to really bring her eyes to life. You did a great job with them, and the pupils are nice and even.