Laurana the Sorceress

Hinton

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work.

The pics looks pixelated rather than blurry. Are you using a digital zoom or digital macro function? Make sure you are shooting at the highest resolution your camera will handle, and avoid using ANY digital functions. This may be obvious, but don't blow your pictures up once you've shot them. Somehow the pictures are being interpolated- pixels are being manipulated at some point in the process.

ElectricBoogaloo: Thank you. The camera I'm using is an Olympus D-580 that belongs to a friend of mine since my digital camera doesn't have a macro setting.

mattmcl: I use the macro setting on the camera, but not digital zoom and it's set on the highest resolution possible. I have to resize the pictures to make them smaller, not bigger, so that may be where the problem is coming from. Maybe compressing the pics like that is screwing them up.

flynn: Yes I did. Many thanks to you and LCS for the help on that.

The camera's about 8 inches away from the mini. Too close, too far or just right?

No tripod, though. I asked my friend about it and she says it never came with one. I'll have to do some looking around and see if I can hunt one down. Or, as Redhandstudios suggested, perhaps a sandbag of some kind.

What I usually do (since I found out that holding the camera while taking the picture was a really bad idea) is set the camera on the table, get it focused and snap the picture. It takes a couple seconds after pushing the button for it to actually take the picture and capture it. During that time, I don't even breathe on it.

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps it isn't so much the camera as it may be the photo program I'm using to resize the pics. It seems that the larger pictures look just fine; it's when I crop and resize them that it seems to get all fuzzy and pixelated. I'm using a program called MGI PhotoSuite since it was free and I can't afford Photoshop. I might look into some other programs and see if they do any better.

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps it isn't so much the camera as it may be the photo program I'm using to resize the pics. It seems that the larger pictures look just fine; it's when I crop and resize them that it seems to get all fuzzy and pixelated. I'm using a program called MGI PhotoSuite since it was free and I can't afford Photoshop. I might look into some other programs and see if they do any better.

For free, look at GIMP (gimp.org), my only complaint about it is the resolution limitations, but those are not a problem with photos for the web.

She looks good, btw. ::):

Looks good Hinton... other than the "blurry"... not sure what to do to help you with that. Are you using a timer on the camera? That always seems to help me.

Glad you got the scroll to work out. Suggestion... put a light brown wash on the scoll... so that it doesn't look like clean, white, hot off the presses paper.

the skin looks good, and so does the hair. You might want to add just a bit more highlight to the dress... maybe a bit of trim or something to make it stand out just a bit more.

Nice job...

About the picture quality: I guess the problem is the jpg compression. You need a program which allows you to choose the size. For to post your pictures here 150Kb maximum are allowed. Before you post your picture here you should bring your image to this size. Another very important thing is not to work with the program at the jpeg. If you like to add some saturation, brightness, contrast and so on, or just resize the picture, you should save it first as png. Work at the png and as the last step, before posting it here save it back to jpeg with an size of maximum 150Kb.

The reason for that is: If you work on a jpeg you will surely damage the picture.

Look for a free program which allows you to save your images in different formats and sizes. If you are not successful in finding you can send me your (original) pictures per email and I resize them for you.

About the paintjob: Not bad. Meantime I found your cmon account and read that you just paint since one year. For that it looks clean, the letters at the scroll looks fine, I see you shaded her at the skin and the green dress and your colour choice was well. I think the Brown of her belt and bag and so on could need more depth and the hair. Face looks very good so far. If you want more depth and contrast in your painting you need to repeat highlighting and shading again and again. I'm sometimes highlighting until to 10 times and shade it again. That's the way you will get more depth and smooth blendings.

I ditto the suggestion to get Gimp. For these purposes, it is just as good as Photoshop but it's free. Look around in Gimp for something like Auto Levels, or Auto Contrast, and see how those work for you. If you want, you can email my an image, and I'll adjust it for you and tell you what I did, though I work in Photoshop rather than Gimp.

I don't use a tripod or timer- the brighter your lights the less you will have a need for these. Like shooting a rifle, you want to slowly squeeze the button down rather than stabbing it, and hold it down until the camera snaps the photo.

With all modesty, I'm pretty good at this stuff, I have a degree in Photography and I've been a graphic designer for twelve years. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.