Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Sex and Violence

If the Crusaders would show some more skin I'd buy a whole army of'em! It's funny how the Darkspawn being a super evil army have the most flagrant sexuality. It says a lot about our culture.

Let's remember that we are founded on a Judeo Christian mentality and that is going to color all of our cultural ideas. That said, I am a christian and have no problem with that historic fact. I do have some thoughts on the matter. I think our society as a whole sets some moral boundaries on violence (we don't allow murder) but the message in the context of sex is becoming more and more "if it feels good do it, it's all OK". Now believe me, I'm no prude. In fact, if you check out the book in the Bible Song of Solomon you'll find that God has a pretty racy view of the sexual relationship as well, but it must be in the proper context. I think that is the crux of the matter, not so much the acts themselves, but the context in which society as a whole conveys them as OK. I feel like my children get an OK message from shows like Batman the animated series because it's Good vs. Evil but I have trouble justifying some headlines they see while in the isles at the grocery store because of the moral ambiguity they convey.

Yeah pretty much what papabees said.

Also, I really, REALLY don't see what clothing has to do with sexuality.

I really don't.

Except the Darkspawn, since they wear SMBD gear everywhere, which suggests to me they're more about pain than sex (unless it's painful sex).

And I mean, those crusader women look confident and in control, with just a touch of ferocity in an undeniably feminine package. You can't tell me that's gonna be bad. On the other hand, you get naked with a Darkspawn and next thing you know they're using your intestines to give you a craw-to-colon internal flossing.

In the immortal words of Khong-To: "Darkspawn. Can't live with 'em, pass the tabasco."

as an aside:

Batte Nuns of Old (read: DHL) wore low slung blouses, loin cloths and *gasp* thongs! in addition to the habbit.

I think 'kid friendly-itizing' Warlord would neuter part of the fun of the game. Throwing friendly in character insults across the table..."My darkspawn will eat your souls and saccrifice your inards to our god" "The Overlords shall sell you into eternal slavery fool, one with a body like yours shall fetch a marvelous price."

The sculpts and a bit less so the fluff plays to this escapism. Do I believe that KC will sacrifice the little pewter souls of the fallen to Mashaf, Um...NO. Would a 6 year old?

And I do agree with Shak, these really are art. if they were 6x's bigger and bronze they would be art, so why not at a 28mm scale? And knowing that I cannot sculpt my way out of a clay paper bag, I respect all the work that goes into those little pewter bits.

and...Ooooo look a horsie

Reaper already does a good job at keeping a eye on just how much "skin" is flashed by most of its mini's. But at the end of the day its the adults who buy most of the products.

When i do demos for Warlord, I tend to stick with the what I call the all environment friendly armies, crusaders, orks, dwarfs, elves, necropolis. Most of those armies are safe for most environments, everyone understands the basic nature of the armies. I've even been known to field just crusaders vs necropolis for a demo in Waco home of Baylor university...nothing like a old fashioned good vs evil battle to wow the southern baptists.

it all comes down to know your environment know your audience.

I have expressed levels of kid friendly to parents who's kids just played a demo and want to take home a army of their own. And honestly I've seen very very few kids ever gravitate towards some of what folks would consider a adult themed army.

Oddly enough, when I started showing my nephew figures when he was 7, he wanted all kinds of undead. The first model he picked out was the Angel of Death :lol: