Hello and glad to meet ya!

Newt

I'll try to swing by an automotive store and pick up the Duplicolor Sandable in white and in black tomorrow or Tuesday.

The dark grey version also works pretty well. I haven't tried the black Duplicolor. And, though the name has "sandable" in it, Duplicolor really does go on fine, and I like it better than the Krylon.

Brush soap: Is this something that is very specialized? Is there something I can get relatively cheaply that will provide good results?

Yep, very specialized. Though I've never tried it, some simple shampoo might also work, but I'd go for the brush soap if you can. Just avoid dish soap or anything else not made to work on hair if you are using natural brushes since regular soap will strip the oils from the brushes.

My wife has a nice Dazer lamp with the magnifier in it that I bought her 2 years ago, but she'll kill me if I commandeer it for this. I'll just have to do with what lighting we have in our kitchen for now.

If you have a spare lamp, you could always pick up a daylight Reveal or flourescent bulb.

Hobby knife: Is that an X-Acto knife with the interchangable triangular blades?

Yes.

Ron

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard a lot of recommendations for the Duplicolor Sandable Primer. You will want to avoid the one labelled as "filling primer" though (it will obscure details).

Brush soap is speciallized, but not that expensive. A bottle of "Pink Soap" from a Michaels or an art store will only cost a few bucks and will last years. Others recommend the "Masters" brush soap, but I don't have personal experience with it.

I highly recommend a magnifying lamp with a light in it. I picked one of these up at Michael’s for about 20 dollars. I then used a small full spectrum bulb I purchased at Wal-Mart for about 8 dollars for two. (If you go with this be sure to puchase the small ones, the bulb space does not allow for a full sized full spectrum.) And leave it clipped to the side of the drafting table my husband bought me for my birthday for my cr... mini habit. I also have one of the helping hands (the magnifying glass with the tiny alligator clips) which I would recommend if you do decide you like the hobby. Also not yet mentioned, or i missed, but a wonderful palette is a 30 cent white porcelain tile from Lowes, I can't say how much this has helped me with my painting. (Granted I got an actual porcelain palette)

I highly recommend a magnifying lamp with a light in it. I picked one of these up at Michael’s for about 20 dollars.

Dang, I didn't realize these could be that cheap. I just got back from... you guessed it... Michael's. I definitely would have grabbed one while I was there had I known that they were affordable!

Thanks for the link.

-Newt

I highly recommend a magnifying lamp with a light in it. I picked one of these up at Michael’s for about 20 dollars.

Dang, I didn't realize these could be that cheap. I just got back from... you guessed it... Michael's. I definitely would have grabbed one while I was there had I known that they were affordable!

Thanks for the link.

-Newt

They're cheaper still with the 40 or 50% coupons that Michaels regularly run in the papers (I'm guessing they do that everywhere). Just this last weekend, they had the 50% ones. The coupons are only supposed to be good for regularly priced items, so prices may vary.

thanks

AWhang

- Paint and cuss.

Now, alot of people are going to tell you advice like, practice, learn this technique, learn that, read these sites, talk to these people. Pish-Shaw! The key to great painting, epic level painting is the cussing, as it is in all worthwhile endeavors. The right web of words can turn a flab mini into a fab mini!

"Hobby knife: Is that an X-Acto knife with the interchangable triangular blades?"

No a Hobby Knife is is a long serrated blade with blood grooves and a nasty hook on the end for when your PC's get out of hand at the gaming table!!! Er... ahem never mind... WHAT??? No need to look at me like that!!! It was a joke, honest... er yeah a joke!!!

No really, welcome to the boards and good luck with this adventure you are about to have. I have no real suggestions on anything as I am fairly new myself, all I would say is Master Series Paints are working best for me. And unless you can master thinning the paints, Avoid Games Workshop For Skin Tones!!!

Nuff said, I'll be moving on to my next rant.

I'd also suggest keeping a bottle of booze nearby while painting. But then again, I'm crazy and drink 107 proof bourbon straight from the bottle.

LOL....me too.....I also use Pendelton whiskey to clean the old testors enamals off my brushes!

Anywhodle, welcome aboard NEWT. You have found a home!

Can't wait to see you putting paint to pewter!

-----Todd-----

Can't wait to see you putting paint to pewter!

Soon, very soon! I did about 60% of the Rat that comes in LTP #1 last night. I tried to do my own thing with the face and it's horrible so I need to fix it tonight. Then I need to do the base, touch-up a few parts, and do a little highlighting and he's finished.

I'm going to wait until I paint the guy that came with LTP #1 before I post the Rat so I can post them together. I've already learned a ton just from what I've done so far and I'm glad I did the Rat first.

Thanks for the welcome.

-Newt