A Tide arrises......

haldir

Thinking on his studies, Tolan comments to no one in particular, "Someone wanted to keep people out of here, that's for sure." He moves into the next room, pondering the movement of the central pillar as Heleger shifts things around.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops... Vieta thinks as he nearly shot the dwarf in battle.

Vieta decides to stand back and watch harmlessly as the team finishes off the snake. When the battle is over, he pockets his pistol and, along with Tolan, inspects the snake, trying to see what it really is, out of sheer curiousity.

When this is over, he puts his hand in his pocket and casually gives the dead creature's body a kick and paces into the room beyond.

"Well, that was an interesting change of pace, right mates?" he says with a grin.

As he enters the new room, Vieta walks around, staring at the carvings. He notices the 8-pointed star and, after a moment of thinking, realizes each of the carving have a corresponding number of eyes. Of course, for some spontaneous reason, he keeps quiet and, rather than working on whatever puzzle this may be, he approaches a carving and puts his hand on the red stone eyeball, inspecting the material to see if its valuable and/or removable (as conspicuously as he can).

Vieta

you move up to one of the creatures, as you get closer you note the life-likeness in the carving but from what you can tell it's just a statue. You make your way up to the gorilla-like beast with the 6 eyes. The stones sparkle in the light of the lantern, your not sure how much they are worth, but they sure do sparkle!!! (If you have Appraise, you make use that to judge their worth).

"So what does everyone think this is? Some sorta puzzle? Maybe it opens anther room?" Lavinia says. "I have no idea if there is anther room to this vault. I was expecting just a room with a bunch of chests & a pile of coins & other fancy stuff, my parents might have collected over the years, so this is all strange to me." she says with a dissapointed voice.

"I'm no good at puzzles, so I can't really help out here, but what I can see is each time Sir Heleger moved the pillar, the red arrow clicked with it, pointing to a various statue in the process. My father was a fan of puzzles so I'm sure this is one of his designs, but how he did this (she uses a arms outstretched gesture), I'll never know, maybe it has something to do with that star pattern, as its in here as well."

"Any ideas?" she looks at the party for the next move.

Appraise roll: (2)

Vieta stares at the stone for a few seconds and gives up trying to determine what it is. Oblivious to the puzzle, he draws his sword and uses the pointed edge to see if he can pry one of the eye out.

If anyone asks him, he bluffs, saying he is looking for clues for the puzzle.

"Vieta, get tha hell awey from tha' statue! Keep yer grubby hands to yerself!" Heleger shouts menacingly. "If'n yoo steal innythin' from tha lady's vault, Ah'll make ye swallow me knife!"

To Lavinia, his voice is a bit more gentle. "Ah think it has somethin' ta do wi' tha creatures on tha' piece of parchment, boot Ah don' see inny of 'em. Ah don' see chimera, cyclops, medusa, or inny of tha oothers, either. Tha's moost coorioos, tha' is."

Vieta turns and looks downward at the dwarf with an annoyed expression, clutching his cutlass.

"Mate, 'less ya got the answers to the riddle hidden in that mass of chin-hair o' yours, let us folks do our work, savyy?"

Clearly, he did not see me take the coin. Watchful lil' bastard, this mate. I guess I'll have to watch him if I am to pull something.

He tries again to pry the eye loose so it doesn't seem like he's doing anything wrong, and then takes a step back and looks around the room. Since suspicion has been cast upon his shady endeavors, he immediately takes the role of participating in the puzzle.

"It seems..." Vieta starts, rubbing his stubby chin in feinted concentration to seem as smart as possible, "This room's a lock. The number of eyes... Each creature has an ascending number of 'em. The first creature has 1. The drake has 2. Fishie there has 3. The two-headed bloke has 4, 2 for each head. so on... Number ends at 7. The pillar has a star with a red arm. Clever lil' game your father invented there, mah lady..."

"If you ask me, seems like a combination lock. Point the star in the right combination of number and you'll open the lock."

What the lock will open and what is locked inside, however... might be a bit interesting.

"Know any set of numbers important to your daddy, miss?" he asks Lavinia. "Birthday or the likes?"

Lavinia reaches into the bag she has been carrying & produces a small book, inside is the parchment that Heleger found with the signet ring.

Handout2-vi.jpg

"Well from my father's travels & such, I've seen some of the creatures, he has books full of drawings that one of his adventuring parties would do of the creatures, for reference later on." she overlooks the statues & says,"Alas thou, none of the creatures are here. Hmmm why would my father put these creature here (the parchment), but have these creatures in here??"

she looks at Vieta after the encounter with Heleger "Well numbers were something my father was found of, but my birthday is no were near any of number of eyes of the creatures, nor is my mother's." Lavinia says

"My father's birthday falls on the 2nd, if that might help. Also I would hope the gold that I'm paying you to work for me is enough to sastisfy you, Vieta." she says after you've tried to pry the gems out. Which don't come out in your initial attempt, but your sure they would if more pressure was applied.

"Eyes you say, hmmmm yes, that might be something. A Chimera has 3 heads, which is 3 sets of eyes or 6 total." She points to the gorilla like creature "This one has 6, I have no idea what it is, but it has 6 eyes, so if 6 is the starting point, but what does Sunrise & Sunset refer to?" she says puzzled even more.

"Sometimes I wonder if my father was more of jokester then he lead my family to believe." she says in jest of the puzzle.

"What you are payin' me is more than enough for a humble sailor, miss." Vieta says with an extra polite bow, trying not to bring too much attention to his habits.

He looks at the number of eyes and at the note, thinks about sunrise, and asks.

"Which way is north?"

Upon hearing Vieta's comment about which way north is, Tolan comments, "Not sure about which way north is at the moment, I tend to get confused a bit when underground, but I do see where you are going with this Vieta. Sunrise would mean turn to the east and sunset would be turn to the west." He thinks for a moment and then says, "The Cyclops only has one eye, so that's our second point. The rest I am not as certain about, except I am pretty sure a basilisk only has 2 eyes."

Ahhh, so one o' em knows what in the blue hell I'm talkin' 'bout!

"Aye, thats right, mate." Vieta says to Tolan, and looks around the room.

He stares at the door and thinks that the red arrow is pointing at it.

"Perhaps the door be north. I'd wager that'd be the startin' point."

He thins on the note, especially with the medusa.

"The medusa has two, but each of them snakes in them hair o' hers might have some eyes too so they might add some more. Likely its a large number, so 7 would likely be it. Chimera 6, Cyclops 1, Medusa 7 or so, what the hell is an Umber Hulk? and basilisk around 2 or so..."

Having never encountered an umber hulk, Vieta scratches his head. He stands and face the door where the arrow is.

"Try turning the pillar so the arrows clicks to the statue with 6 eyes in a counter-clockwise direction." he says, pointing with his left hand in what would be west if the door was north.

"Then click to 1 in the opposite direction. Do this back and forth for each number and see if it works."

[OOP] - awesome puzzle btw, this is really fun!

"My father never encountered one of those either. I recall the drawings & that name doesn't sound familiar. Anyone else know what one of those might look like?" she looks at the group.

Basilisk, yes my father's friend did do one of those + I recall his notes saying they only had 2 eyes, it was their legs that was many, 8 I think. Only did they know after they killed the one that they encountered." Lavinia says to Vieta.

"I'm not sure about the Medusa, as you said those things have many eyes, but the highest number of eyes here is 7, which wouldn't accurately describe the #, maybe it's just the 2 main eyes, the ones that turn people to stone? Maybe?" she says.

"So we have this to go by by your directions, Vieta; door is North, then left towards the gorilla thing or more important it's 6 eyes, then right to the one eyed creature, then left again to 7 or 2, you make the call & then we're stuck, but at least we got the Baslisk at 2."

"Thank you Sir Heleger, I figured you'd have knowledge of them, with your people being in the same environment as them." Lavinia says joyfully.

"Alright then, let move this thing!" she says excitedly.

Not being the one to spin the pillar, Vieta stands back and watches as whoever is cranking the pillar and keeps a careful eye around the room.

He draws his pistol, loads a shot into it, then slides it back into the loop of his belt. Just in case...