A Tide arrises......

haldir

Kavik stops, as does Yarrin as you hold up your hand. He does however get in spot to shoot anything you open the door.

The door swing out & there is your standard door knob with a keyhole on the door. It appears also that are are no traps on the lock. You also notice the door is not locked.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arwin nods at Kavik, then positions herself so that when she opens the door she will not be in his arrow's path. She takes her dagger in her right hand.

Silently she mouths the mantra. "Ready...steady...GO!", and then swings the door wide open

The door swing open & the spicy smell in the air floats freely into the room, it's a large room. There are torches on the walls & what catches your eye the most is a altar with a banner with a large burning boot print on it. It burns like flames, most likely one that has been lit with a continual light spell). Below the banner is area where people have brought offerings & other items. Nothing extraordinary, just mundane items.

"Charmalaine." Yarrin says after studying the symbol. "She is a hero-goddess of the halfling folk. Her portfolio is keen senses and narrow escapes. Fitting for our smuggler friends." Yarrin pauses for a bit & looks around, there is no one in the room. "It appears we are in the Shrine of Charmalaine. It's located in western Shadowshore, near the border wall with Champion District. These shrines are rarely occupied. Only a few times a week someone comes from a district church & picks up the items & distributes them among the flock." I'

d recommend thou that we leave everything the way it was so when we come back to the tunnels, we'll find everything the way it was when we left.

"I agree." Kavik says as he ventures out into the main room. It appears the room you were in was a back room, possibly a storage room or maybe even a boarding room for a priest when one occupied the shrine.

"We best check in with Lady Vanderboren & inform her of the grim news about her brother & see if she approves of our new party members." Yarrin says. "I believe she will, she is unlike her brother."

Arwin surveys the shrine with keen interest, though she knows good and well not to help herself to any of the offerings there. Zealots and thieves are two groups of people who individually are not to be lightly reckoned with, but those people who belong where the two groups overlap are clearly not to be trifled with.

"It's just as well ol' Vandeeborn takes us fer dead now. All the more fun ther surprise'll be when 'e gets done in by our angry band o' ghosties."

Arwin steps back into the hallway and takes time to look around for the trap door mechanism, assuming that it is similar to the one she found at the other end of the tunnel. She wants to be sure of how to get into the tunnels again in a hurry should the need arise. After searching, she returns to the conversation with the others in the party.

"Tell me again why's it yer workin' fer Vandeeborn's sister? I don't mean ter presume... but if I'm one o' yer new party members, ye could clue me in."

Heleger also leaves the shrine the way it is, not wanting to risk anger anyone's gods. He answers Arwin's question without a thought. "Well, Ah'm woorkin' fer her b'cause she asked me to, an' b'cause her da' an' mah da' were friends. Tha oothers're dooin' this fer their oon reasoons. She asked oos ta find her broother, b'cause she was wooried aboot him. Ah'm thinkin' that after we tell her all aboot this, he'll hafta be woorried aboot her!"

The dwarf finishes this last with an evil grin and a chuckle. "Let's get gooin', oonless anyoone wants ta goo doon an' bring oop tha treasoore fist?"

"Want I should stand guard for ye while yer gone after 'em?", Arwin asks. "

Then she considers how it might look if one of the shrine's devotees should come along and spot her hanging about.

"Now that I thinks about it, maybe I should go with ye an' let somebody else stand guard."

"Anny, it's Shadowshore, no one gonna care if a half-orc is hangin around anything. Heck, your more home here then over the wall in Champion District. While they may be all for justice & all things good, they do keep the same racial tolerances or intolerances as everyone else." Yarrin says to you.

"I agree, besides we might need your skills so to speak in disarming any traps those chest might have on them. If anything those locks looked pretty formidable & I highly doubt the keys exist for them anymore." Kavik says.

"I'll stay." Tolan says "This is my home, besides you gonna care if a bum is around. All they'd do is just kick me out on to the street. Nothing I'm not use to.

Arwin nods in agreement with Yarrin. She lightens her bundle of everything except the tools of her trade, and she carries only her dagger so as to make passing through the tunnel easier.

She takes the lead position in the tunnel this time.

Tolan settles in for a bit of a rest and to keep an eye out for the group as they travel back for the chests. He finds a corner in which he is somewhat comfortable, but also able to keep an eye on the tunnel and the exits.

(sorry about the lack of replies of late, but work has been nuts!!!)

(np Adam, seen your posts on facebook, he he)

Anny & whoever goes back down (Yarrin does, if only thing to be a mule for whatever you find) the tunnel. There are 3 large sea chests with just as large padlocks on each

Arwin first checks the floors and walls around the chests for any conspicuous irregularities in the rocks that might indicate traps. Next she checks the locks for any signs that they themselves may be boobytrapped.

If she finds that either walls or locks are trapped, she will wait for advice from the others who are with her before proceeding.

If she finds none, she will then test the two keys she has in her possession on the off chance either may fit any of the locks.

Search (8 +5) 13 - looking for traps on walls and floors

Search (16 +5) 21 - looking for boobytraps on padlocks

Anny

You find no traps anyone near the traps or the locks themselves.

Tolan

Nothing exciting happens while Anny & whoever is down in the tunnels, just anther typical day in Shadowshore for you.

Confident that nothing will go wrong, Anny takes out her thieves' tools and goes to work on the lock.

If she fails, she will try once more and then set to taking the less-finesse approach, which involves bolt cutters and likely destroying a few old locks that would probably be useful to her or somebody willing to buy them from her.

Disable Device (4 +3 +2) 9 - Opening locks

Disable Device (1 +3 +2) 6 - Opening locks

Base Attack Check (18 +1) 19 - "Attacking" first padlock with bolt cutters)

Randy, I hope I'm going about it right with the base attack check to use bolt cutters)

Bolt Cutters - Can be used to cut through chains, thin metal and iron bars. Deals 15 points of damage to objects no thinker than 1 inch in diameter. (Arms & Equipment Guide 3.5 p21)

You kneel down to the first chest & start to pick the lock. As you fiddle with the lock, you realize this isn't working!!

Deciding that instead, you'll just snap the lock off, you pull out a set of bolt cutters you bought in a general store north of Sasserine. You let your mind wander & realize that was the same trip that you "acquired" the magical dagger....back to the lock. You set the tool onto the lock & sqeeze. The lock gives way & gives a loud snap, as the metal is cut.

Inside is:

a "poop" load of silver & copper coins.