Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

The Kingdom of Mordant

Recommended Posts

Reg, seeing that everyone is keen on continuing on, finishes packing his canvas and other items, leaving his part of the clearing in a relatively pristine state.

 

"So everyone is keen to move on then." Reg states "Kita, you can talk with Connor over large distances can you not? Well then could Connor be a go between us and the Footstool, so we are never out of communication?" Reg asks politely.

 

With that Reg hops into his saddle, leaving his pack horse with the rest of the party and starts moving down the trail trying to keep some distance and moving back and forth from the edge of the trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the road, Balus picks up the conversation with Lucius once more about the nature of Magick. At least the conversation lightens his mood, even if the rain comes down.

 

"Well, it's..." he pauses a moment, gauging how much of this Lucius will get. "OK, think of everything. Every rock, tree, clump of dirt, stream of water, Human, Elf, Orc, everything. The thing that binds all of this together is Magick. It's not that it's invisible or that only some people can manipulate it, everyone can, but it takes discipline to do it correctly."

 

He lets that sink into Lucius' brain a moment before continuing. "Now, did you have a favorite treat when you were growing up? Did your mother or grandmother make you say, a pie? Did you ever notice that no matter how many she made, they always tasted the same? She knew exactly how much flour and how much butter and how many apples to use. It's just a formula. one part of this and one part of that and presto. You have your recipe. It's the same thing for Magick."

 

Balus holds up four fingers. "Earth, Air, Fire and Water. These are the basics to everything around you. All you see and hear and touch and smell and taste are combinations of those four elements. If you know how much of each to add, you can do anything."

 

He lets this next part sink in before continuing, making sure he's not lost his audience.

 

"Oh, and it takes a lot of energy. That energy I was talking about before? I channel it into the form I want, and believe me, it can be really tiring. When I did that preformance at the Inn two nights ago, that took quite a lot out of me, but from what I hear, true masters of the Art can do that without thinking about it, so great is their manipulation of the energies."

 

Mookie at this point pokes her nose out of Balus' cloak, looking over at Lucius a moment before returning to her warm spot.

 

"Have I broken your head, or do you want to hear more?"

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the trail.....

 

"Kita, you can talk with Connor over large distances can you not? Well then could Connor be a go between us and the Footstool, so we are never out of communication?" Reg asks politely.

 

She smiles at some private jest, then looks at him.  "For one, if Connor could speak, he would not let anyone rest.  And he would think it was his right and all, being that he is rather old for one of his kind."  Then, more seriously, "But as it were, we share a bond of friendship alone.  I can't speak to him, I just can read him because of our long friendship."  With that, she smiles a bit again.

"And you would also probably not like him if he talked either.  We are all young to him, and foolish."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lucius nods as Balus talks. Air and water. Fire and earth. There has to be something else....Lucius begins to watch the horses' hooves. looking for just the right moment. He finds it suddenly and gives a small hiss and snaps his fingers. The result is a great flaring light which leaves a pink-orange after-glow in Balus' eyes. "You seem to be forgetting something." Lucius says, taking the reigns of the conversation for a moment. "I don't know if you would call it the element of heart. Maybe imagination... or ambition. Its the creative spark which drives us all. It makes you rise in the morning and makes us... Do. Every day, we create things. Somethings created are grand, others and diminuative. Either way, There is something beyond the physical. Something which cannot be measured or planned. I feel that is where I draw my magic from." Lucius looks to the stern Arden in his armor. "And what of divine majiks? How would one explain them. Are they the same force which drives me to make music and majik?" Is it Balus' turn for a headache? "But please Balus, go on." LUcius says, looking off into the sky for Archibald.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balus shakes his head. "Nothing more than the driving will to learn and to create. The same will to face down packs of wolves while protecting your own children. It's that spark, when properly focused causes great magicks."

 

On the matter of the Divine, Balus thinks a moment, but does continue. "Well, setting aside all matters theological, and just looking at the 'How they do it', I woud surmise that they tap the same energies that a Wizard would. But instead of a pinch of guano and some formulaic words, they instead pray for their abilities.

 

Balus thinks a little more. "Now, the one to twist my brain around is that the clergy would take the line of 'How do I know my ability isn't being given to me by a Divine power, and yet even though I don't show thanks to this power, I still get abilities from it'. Instead of praying as they do, I use formulae and logic." Balus shakes his head. "If that's the case, then I couldn't tell you if I work my ability myself, or if it's given to me by a diety, or what. But if I follow the recipe in my book, I know I can do Magick."

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-old news-

 Kita says,

"You are Reg, am I right?  You seem to be a type of holy man?  I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with most human sects."
Lucius picks up this comment from across the campsite, and blurts ,
"I could help you understand human sex- I mean sects."
:oops:

 Dymitri, spurts water, he had been drinking, from his mouth and nose, coughing and laughing loudly :laugh: at the Bards' exclamation.   Smooth move, Lucius.  Don't sound desperate or anything.  he thinks, still coughing and laughing :D .  Dymitri composes himself somewhat, still giggling :;):, What a way to put your leg in your mouth to the knee.  he muses.  Looking at the embarrassed Bard, So, you have designs too, huh?  We'll see, we'll see. He smirks :)  tipping the remainders of his drink, in salute, in Lucius' direction.

 

-new business-

 

 As the camp is broken down, Dymitri, gathers his items, and helps anyone else who needs it.

 On the road, he takes up the position as rear guard, as per the earlier discussion.  Short bow ready and alert.

 As they move up the "road" he still can not help but glance every no and again at Kita.   She's so beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the morning travels, Kita listen's in with the conversation going on about her fellow's.  She looks at the mage a bit, Wonder if I should blow a hole in his little wiser than thou speach?  No, no no no, I must remain nice, and he seems to be the only one other than the monk who is...well... ??? ....most elven like.

She mentally grins at the pun, thinking how her race would sooo not like that, and continues on the ride.

 

After most of the theology is over, she brighten's.  "So, friends, I have a few questions myself...but over humans.  Like, how are your towns built?  And what kind of trees are they built in?  Or are they actually built on the ground?"

Realizing that she is yammering like a babe, she blushes.  

"Sorry, but this is my first time I have left my own town, so this is all so new to me."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balus turns in his saddle, smiling to Kita. He slows his horse just enough to catch up with her. "Actually, it's pretty interesting."

 

And once again, Balus starts his 'lecture' voice.

 

"Basically, human settlements use whatever resources are handy and accessable. Many towns starting out, say within the first five years or so use trees felled nearby. Some settlements, higher in the mountains will use hewn stones, these are sturdier than one made of wooden logs, but are slower to create...."

 

And Balus goes on about the differences between stone buildings, wooden structures, the types of places that humans would gather, why they would gather, and so on and so forth... He has plenty of knowledge in him, but he should really work on his lecturing to make it a little more entertaining...

 

--end--

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The day starts off cool and brisk, after the nights rain everything seems clean and refreshed. Puddles of water cling to the earth all along the road and along side of it, some still draining slowly into low lying areas. The camping area is quickly cleaned up and everything packed, and you are soon on your way. Archie make scouting forays ahead, coming back occasionally to rest for a mile or two. The going is slow due to the mud on the roads, which in some areas is quite thick. Slowly the morning draws on and after last night’s strange activities very uneventful. The air starts to warm up and as it does the humidity rises also, making for a warm and sticky morning.  The land itself is slightly hilly with tall grass and scrubby trees growing about. Every now and then a thick clump of bushed and trees push up from the grass adding a bit of variety to the landscape.

    Whether it is the humidity, or the monotonous sound of the horses hooves or even Ballus’s rather ‘dry” speech on human cities, everyone finds their minds wandering. Just before noon, during one of Archie’s few rest breaks, a small group of glowing mulit-colored balls come bouncing onto the road. They dance around the hooves of the horses before exploding in loud ‘popping’ noises, causing the horses to rear in panic. Only Ballus’s horse seems to be unaffected by the strange lights and sound, the gray mare comes to a complete stop, with her eyes wide and nostril flaring, but otherwise remains calm. Others are not so lucky, Luscious and Kita find themselves unceremoniously dumped in the mud, while Reggie barely clings to his saddle. And as if this wasn’t aggravation enough at the same time the balls of light explode a volley of 7 crossbow bolts come flying out of the grass, at the same time eight small lizard like creature rise out if the grass. Of the bolts launched four find their marks. One hit Dymitri in the leg as he tries to control his panicked mount; another slams into Aramil’s arm, while a third slams into Anden, hitting him in the side! Even the diminutive Archie gets hit by one of the wicked bolts as it tears through one of his wings as he took flight from the pack horse where he had been resting. Their ambush sprung the Kobolds, for that is what they are rush forward to take advantage of the confusion caused by their attack.

 

 

 (O.K. Post your actions. I will roll the initiative and the attack rolls. If your casting a spell, let me know what it is via PM. Much like the DC game. Any questions Pm me. We got the weekend. Those that got hit, if you want the damage you took PM me and I will give it to you. Nothing "life" treatening at the moment  :D )

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balus, even before horses began rearing begins to draw his great blade.

 

"Stay" he tells both his horse and his familiar, before spidery words of magic ward his body from harm.

 

With a shimmering, geodesic glow around Balus Spellslinger he begins issuing orders. "Dismount! Gather together and form a circle! Kita in the center, stop them with your magic! Dymetri and Reginald, set for a charge, they're coming in fast! Lucius! Keep an eye out for archers! Does anyone have a bow? If so, get in the center and use it!"

 

"Ignore the horses! We can get them later, quickly, drop off them and stop being targets!"

 

Though all this, Balus remains calm, his voice clear, but not shouting, cutting through the balking horses and sudden cries of pain.

 

Mookie, in the meantime, has become quite pointy indeed, but sits on Balus' mount, not going anywheres for now.

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aramil drops from his mount cussing from the pain.  He draws his crossbow and fires at the closest target.  The looks for the closest tree for cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The large barrel chested half-orc barbarian had been tracking the small band of kobolds for several days since spotting them as they passed near his home well east of the Dhurla's Pass.  Since the old witch Henka passed away three months prior, the teen-aged half-orc had begun to roam further and further from the grove in which the old blind hermit had raised him.

 

The half-orc urgres his stout tundra pony along the tree line and watches the war band of Kobolds take position in the tall grass along the road side.  

 

Wait for something they do...  Ambush it could be.

 

The half-orc barbarian watches for a few more moments, then his keen eye site spot numerous humanoid figures approaching on mounts.  The young half-orc sees they are headed directly toward the waiting Kobolds.  The half-orc also sees a winged lizard traveling with the group of humanoids.  The half-orc's yellow eyes grow wide and his pulse quickens.  

 

Mighty Cernunnos, the horned hunter!  True it is, returned you have to the great Barrier Mountains...  Guide and protect you I must.  This you did ask of me in my dream visions

 

Rising above his own fear of contact with humans, the large half-orc urges his mount toward the approaching group.  Before the half-orc can get within shouting distance, the Kobolds launch their suprise attack!

 

Seeing the ambush unfold, the half-orc reaches for his orc double axe and charges his mount toward the melee.  He is certain that Cernunnos, the great hunter, has come for him in physical form.  His God is under attack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reg, not seeing any available cover ignores the order an stays on the horse, clinging a little tightly to the saddle, he crouches down low and spurs his horse at the closest group of kobolds, using the horse as cover. Hoping the added height will give him an edge over the dimuitive creatures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As Lucius gets out of the mud, He gives off the impression he is the most fearsome thing any of them have seen since childhood nightmeres. "Those that have shamed me so shall pay!" He bellows, reaching under his belt to withdraw a white leather sling, a bullet prevoiusly at the ready. Lucius, ever the glory seeker, ignores Balus' instructions for the moment. <e>"Swiftly flies the falling hail!"</e> is Lucius' battle cry as his slingstone impacts with the nearest kobold's head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archibald leaps into the air, screaming telepathically at anyone who looks like they could do with being screamed at.

 

As far as combat actions go, dive-bomb attacks, paired with breath weapons seem to be in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...