Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

The Kingdom of Mordant

(OOC...morning, just wanted to know what time of year it is, day, and time).

Feeling the tension in the room between Lucius, the tall man, and the pseudo-dragon, that the tall man insists on calling a footstool, and wondering where the deliscious aroma of buttered puff corn is coming from, Dymitri finds his voice.

Castellan, sir, I have one of my families draft horses at present.  He is slow and not well suited for long trips, so I would ask for a mount also.  And, if I could a favor...to have someone return Clydell, the horse, to my father with a note.

As far as lodgings, I graciously accept your invitation, and would be honored to stay in the castle.

Lastly, a question.  How far away is Dhurla's Pass?  :D

Archibald follows Reg as he leaves the room.  (move silently check if needed)

Once they are out of sight, he bites Reg on the ankle for the persistant footstool comments, then returns to the gathering-room well ahead of any retaliatory strikes.

Lucius gives a slight titter as arch bites reg. He then tries to hide it behind his hand, fearing the wrath of such an auspacious creature. "Mayhaps I can puruse the Library Arcana before we leave?" He says to the Castellon.

Castellan Lebbick looks at Lucious and says “I am sorry but there is no Arcane Library here at the castle.” The Castellan rises “And if that is all, I will bid you farewell for now and will see you all on the morrow.” He nods his head to all of you and leaves the rooms. When you are ready to leave there are pages waiting outside to show where you need to go. No mater where you spend the night, it passes quickly.

The next morning dawns clear and bright. In the court yard the Castellan meet you all. He approaches the group as a bunch of saddled horses are led from the stables. One mount for each member who requested one along with a pack mule, that bears extra supplies for the group’s use.  “ Good morning and well met.” He says. “I am pleased to see you all made it this morning.” He holds out some papers “Here are papers identifying you as representatives of the King, You can present them to the mayor of Dhurla’s Pass when you get there. I also have a map, showing you the route to the town. As you will be able to see once you leave Keswick there will be no more towns until your reach Dhurla. So, some extra provisions have been provided for you, some preserved meat and such. I also took the liberty of getting you some spending money for lodgings and any other expenses that might turn up.”  He pauses for a moment. “It an easy days ride to Keswick, you can find lodgings there.” He hands the paper and the money over to the group and steps back. “May the gods smile on your journey” he says as you all mount up and head out the gate.

You weave your way down the bluff that the castle is built on and into the town below. As you make your way through the town you can smell fresh bread as it is baked, and see people as they prepare for the day. As you approach the Northern gate you find an influx of farmers coming into town bringing in their extra produce and stock for the market. You pass under the tower and across the wooden bridge that spans the moat. It takes a good half an hour of slow moving to get in the clear of the traffic going into Riolan, but once past you are able to pick up your pace a bit.

The countryside this close to the capital is dotted with rolling hills, small farms and villages. You can see the farmers and their hired hands out in their fields starting to harvest this year’s crops.  The day grows warmer and more humid as the sun draws higher in the sky; about midday you find a quiet stream where you are able to water your mounts and walk the stiffness out of your own legs. A quick bite to eat and some water for yourselves and you are on your way again. Occasionally you pass other traveler’s or are passed by other travelers. As the day passes on, the air grows more humid and warm as the sun progresses across the sky. Towards late afternoon you notice an increase in the number of travelers on the road, indicating you must be getting close to Keswick. It’s a good thing, for as the afternoon has drug on there has been an increase of clouds. The heat and moist air have come together in large dark storm clouds that hang to the northwest.  

It is late afternoon, early evening, when you can see the town of Keswick in the distance. It is about suppertime when you ride through the south gates of town. A guard at the gate gives you directions to an inn, The Welcome Hearth.  A scarce ten minutes later and you ride into the courtyard of The Welcome Hearth, two stable boys come out and take your mounts. The Welcome Hearth is a sturdy two-story building, with a clean white washed exterior. Voices raised in merriment can be heard from inside, and the smell of fresh cooked food wafts out into the courtyard.  As you enter the building the reason for all the laughter is quite apparent.

Yes, ladies and gents. *I* get to play the Wizard...

--begin--

As the group enters the Welcome Hearth, the entire population is focused on one man at the far end of the room. At the moment, he is sitting in a chair, his arms gesturing with fluid grace. His blond mop of hair loose, eyes closed as he weaves eldritch strands of magick. On a suitable perch nearby  a skinny black and white cat, curled into a ball but watching with an almost bored expression on its face. A floppy, wide brimmed hat is turned up-side down before the man, a few coppers can be seen glimmering in the impromptu collection plate.

The man's outfit is simple, a knee-length tunic of common cloth, dyed a medium green. His breeches are dark, and tucked into worn-in, road weary boots. No weapon can be seen on him, unless you include the staff resting against the wall nearby the cat.

Oh! The magicks being created! Four tiny balls of flame, deep green, sky blue, darkest purple and brightest yellow dance around the room, some patrons reaching out to touch them with no harm being done, others jumping for cover as the flames dart and weave through them. At one point, the green flame hovers low to the ground, jumping about to cause the Tavern's cat to bat at it as if a mouse. Before winking out of existence, all four flames spin around a pretty lass from ankle to hair, then they are nothing.

While the flames dart around the room, the group notices the ceiling is dotted in tiny spots, reminding one of a night full of stars. The tiny points of light move ever so slowly, so each time one looks up, there's a different constellation that can be seen. Dragons, Chimera, Minotaurs, Basilisks... All manner of grand mythological beast can be seen in the stars above.

As if this was enough, tiny faerie warriors joust on the bar, and a few drunken patrons begin placing bets on who will win each tilt.

Each maiden finds a wreath of wildflowers upon their crowns, crudely crafted, but the gift of magickly created flowers is touching, still.

Over in a corner, a little blip of light traces out letters for the smalls, even over the cheers of the crowd, one can hear tiny voices calling out each letter as it's traced around.

More sprites and pixies dance about the room, even jumping into biers and swimming about, causing roars of laughter, and even one of them is swallowed in a mighty gulp.

Coins on the bar stand on edge of their own accord, then line up to race around two tankards, a copper piece winning.

A pair of dragons, again tiny and made of light, duel in the starry sky above the patrons

Eventually, this entertainment must end, and one by one, each little creation fades into nothingness. Dragons and faeries, stars and lights, all pass from existence. The last bit of magic the wizard creates is to reach out with his magic, pouring himself a bier, placing it into a tankard, and bringing it to himself with nothing obviously holding the tankard. He raises it to the crowd and drinks to thunderous applause.

The man is fatigued from the night's entertainment, but he is of good cheer. “Ladies and Gentleman.” he raises his voice above the applause. “I must thank you. It has been a while since I have done such entertaining, and I am glad to have such a receptive audience. Please, enjoy yourselves for the evening.” He raises his hand to ward off more requests for magick. “Alas, I am drained of energies to show you more, but if there is a singer or harpsman among you, I beg of you to take the stage. I have warmed up this grand patronage, but if they are not entertained, I am sure they will tear me bodily.” he adds mirth to the sentence, and even a laugh before drinking long and deep of the free bier.

--end--

Bwhahahaha!

--lstormhammer

After the young man's incredible show the patrons in the bar settle back down to what ever they were doing before he started his magic show. A woman comes out from behind the bar and approaches the group. She is wiping her hands on a towel as she says, “Good evenin’ gentlemen, welcome to the Welcome Hearth. I am Lilly owner of this establishment. Will you be needin’ rooms this evenin’? (And since I know you are staying here!)

A modest sum of 180sp you are able to get three rooms with two beds in each room. You can have baths drawn up for 2cp, if you desire to clean up before partaking your meal.  

The main taproom consist of 13 tables with 10 stools set up by the bar itself. Most of the tables are full, but a few empty tables are scattered about.

LT

Archibald ambles into the kitchens, appropriates a pie, or at least attempts to, by Being Far Too Cute To Go Pieless at whichever of the cooks looks most sympathetic to the cause.  Big Bambi eyes and almost purring ("I could swear he could talk if he were human, wouldn't he?  Why am I thinking of a pie?  Why yes, you may heave it, poor dear" is the effect he's going for)  are employed to their fullest.

This secured, he makes his silent way over to the wizard's cat and tries to strike up conversation.

And another one!

--begin--

The 'young man' picks up, in order: Hat, Cat, and Staff and walks over to the corner seat of the bar. He places the cat down on the bar,  who sits on her haunches, and demands attention from her owner. He smiles to the creature, and quickly counts the coppers from his hat he sips his bier.

He idly scratches his beard a moment, glancing upstairs a moment, then returns to scratching his cat, and sipping his bier.

The cat's opinion on this attention idea is quite strong indeed, oozing down into the Young Man's lap, and rolling over to accept tummy scritchies. Soon the Young Man is adamant in ending this, and once again places the tiny creature on the bar.

With a scratch to the back of his own head, the young man rests an elbow on the bar and watches the patrons.

Then he notices Human, Elf, Dwarf and... Dragon? who have entered. “Now there's something you don't see everyday, Mookie.” he says to himself. The cat turns and looks at them as well with her pale green eyes...

Then the Dragon ambles up, just as you please, and between the cat and the dragon, the pair of them have their own conversation...

--End--

--lstormhammer

(ooc: Soory, looks like this one kind of got away from me...)

Lucius flips the boy who tends his mount a copper coin. He watches is awe at the magician  as the tiny lights to there funky magic thing. His skills in the art far outdo my own... He pays for his bed and bath from his small belt pouch. He then inquires as to whether he may play a few songs for the crowd once his meal is done.

Reg pays the Innkeeper for his lodging, goes upstairs to inspect the room and places his meagre belongings on one of the beds. Then he goes downstairs for something to eat, he considers calling a meeting to discuss their strategy, but is intrigued by the mage. Seeing the footstool is talking to the mages cat, Reg quietly goes into the kitchen.

Asking politely for some cream and leaving a couple of coppers, he walks back over the mage's table with the cream in a small dish.

"May I sit?" he asks the mage politely. Seeing the mage's nod of consent Reg sits, then before the footstool notices (OOC dex roll?) he pours the cream over the dragon thing and places the mostly empty cream dish infront of the cat.

"You appear to have power, my name is Reginald, but most call me Reg. May I have your name?" Reg says all this in a soft quiet voice.

--Begin--

The Young Man, still sitting at his corner seat at the bar, does indeed nod his assent to the man. Upon seeing the Dragon spilled upon, he stifles a laugh. The cat, however, sniffs the cream, then begins licking it. "Well met, I am Balus Spellslinger, a pleasure to meet you, Reginald. The creature currently sticking her head into your bowl is Mookie, my companion and mouser of grand repute... at least, that what she thinks."

--End--

--lstormhammer

Reg smirks after Archibald's exit.

"So Balus Spellslinger, what brings you and your friend to this interesting locality. It's changed a lot in the last few years, but I still don't see much call to visit it. If my companions didn't require shelter I don't believe I would have stopped here." Reg states slipping into a slight reverie. "There was only a couple of huts last time I pasted this way."

Anden has spent the trip humming cheery and varied hymns to himself, old favourites like "Flowers in the Field" "Divinity of Forests" and "The Blood of Mine Enemies Will Freely Flow", to pay his respects to the various gods whose domains they have passed through. At the threshhold of the inn he murmurs a short prayer to the divinity of Hearth and Home.

He is wearing his well-polished splint mail now over black, and the black leather surcoat over all-the effect is quite striking. He unlimbers his sword and leaves it by the door where he can see it, scans the room carefully before being entranced by the wizard's clever display. Eventually he takes a seat and politely orders food and wine. He continues to watch everything around, largely because he's as curious as a cat.

Noticing the wizard has a cat, he takes a moment to introduce himself to her and her wizard, before paying for a hot bath, with a sizeable "tip" should it, for instance, get topped up with more hot water..... ahh, hot water....

The days ride though uneventful, was exhilirating.  Riding with new companions in to adventure.  I have been waited my whole life for this moment.

I get to know my new "friends" as we ride, getting names (ooc: I'm only missing the Dwarf's name) and making conversation.  I even spoke, well sort of, to the pseudo-dragon.  

"What father would say, if he could see me now.",  I think.

Upon arrival in Keswick, and to "The Welcome Hearth", my spirits are high, as the I ease out of my saddle.  I take my saddle bags, bedroll, scimitar and bow, then hand the stableboy 2 coppers, and tussle his hair.

I follow my new companions in to "The Welcome Hearth".

As I walk in to the inn, I am amazed.  Magic!!!  The place is filled with all manner of sparklie, wisp-like creatures.  Following the eyes of the other patrons I see the source of this spectacular show.  A young mage with blonde hair and a sparse beard stands on a makeshift stage weaving the magic.

All present are enthralled by the mage's performance, and there is thuderous applause as he finishes and his creations blink out of existence.  As the crowd settles back down the owner of the establishment, Lilly, approaches our group and offers rooms, food and baths.

I pay for my share of a room, and a bath.  Going upstairs to the room, I pass Reg, going down.  The assigned room is ample and I settle my belongings in, then go back downstairs, to wait for my bath.

As I reach the main floor I see (spot check if necessary) Reg coming out of the kitchen area with a bowl of what looks like milk.  Reg walks to the end of the bar where Archibald is already sitting with the mage and a cat.  Reg siddles up to the trio and pours the contents of the bowl over the pseudo-dragon.  The cat moves away slightly as the liquid splatters on to the bar, then returns and begins to lick it up.  The mage smirks and covers his mouth so as not to laugh, as Reg strikes up a conversation.

I shake my head, and giggle, thinking, "Reg is gonna get bit again.", as I find a seat (preferable with one of my new "friends") to wait.   :cool: