Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

The Kingdom of Mordant

--Begin--

Speaking to Reg, Balus continues. "Well, Reginald, I'm making my way back north, taking a very circuitious route. By which I mean I will one day get where I am going, but I'm most definatly taking the senic route to get there."

As another comes to pay respects to the cat, she is obviously enjoying it. "As for the town," Balus says, glancing at the armored man approaching to pet his cat. "I couldn't say, this is my first visit to here, and I thought to entertain a little before moving on. Besides, practice makes perfect."

"So why would a group of heavily armed and armored people be doing just arriving in town so late in the evening?"

The cat cares not who pays respect to it, just so long as someone scritches the base of her tail. oooh, just like that purrrr....

--lstormhammer

Seeing no real reason not to tell Balus the gist of the mission Reg begins.

"Well Balus we are currently on a mission from the king he would like us to investigate the new mining town that has sprung up. We are to decide if they would mind being taxed. Silly idea really, but it seems the right thing to do. Also we need to find some nobleman's son, apparently he has gotten a little lost."

{OOC: No one asked for the dwarf's name, and it's not in his nature to just tell you.  I'll assume it came up in conversation along the trail, however.  His name is Gorin Stonehammer.}

Gorin tromps over to the table where everyone seems to be sitting talking to the mage.  He grunts non-commitally as the wizard introduces himself, and then calls out loudly for strong, dark ale.

Setting his axe up against the side of the table he sighs and stretches, crackling knuckles, elbows, shoulders, back, neck, and probably one or two more joints that weren't meant to crack.

He begins scratching idly at his beard, listening to the conversation around the table.  When his ale arrives he pays and then takes a long pull, wiping the foam from his lips with the back of his hand.

--Begin--

Balus strokes his beard a moment, then scratches his jawline.

"Helping fill the king's coffers, eh?" he adds a smirk and a shake of his head. "Oh, worry not, I'm not some anarchist. A full coffer is a good thing."

"And a missing noble's son? Well, that's not suprising, they have problems finding the chamberpot without three assistants, after all..."

Glancing around the room at those near him, and those far, Balus asks Reginald. "So are all these good men companions of yours?"

--End--

--lstormhammer

--Begin--

Balus sees the Dwarf (and a traditional non-committal grunt) and gives the traditional greeting of the Dwarven Realms.

"Hearth and Health to you, Master Dwarf."

--End--

--lstormhammer

"Yes these are all companions of mine, we did not meet before yestereve. However the castellan who brought us together seems to believe we will each have our part to play.

Let me introduce them. The somewhat fanciful one in the dark clothing and armour is Arden, a paladin of truth. The footstool I chased out of here with the cream is named Archibald. The highly strung bard who took over from you is named Lucius Fairwind. That fellow with the scimitar over there is a named Dymitri Sarchoff. There is an elf named Aramil somewhere around, and master dwarf here." Reg realises something.

"Excuse me sir I don't believe I have caught your name?"

Reg blushes from embarrasment

(You all can keep talking. This is just some "extra info for you now that you have had a chance to settle in the tap room and "look" around.

LT

You all get settled in and return to the taproom (those that wish to that is). Now that the show is over for now, the patrons have settled don. Some appear to be waiting with great interest for the bard to finish eating. They wear hopeful looks at the prospect of even more entertainment this evening.  The fare is simple yet good, you have a choice of fried mutton and lentils, boiled vegetable soup and grilled pork stew for your main courses with mixed fruit cake, apple cake and apricot surprise for dessert. There is a good assortment of ales, biers and mead. With some wines also available, mostly locally made.

The taproom itself is clean and well let. The serving girls busily work about the room. Making sure everyone is served as quickly as possible. Behind the bar Lilly and another man work pouring drinks, though Lilly disappears to the kitchen every now and then to keep an eye on things there.

About the taproom there are various groups of people conversing, eating or just drinking. There are two burly looking young men wandering about the periphery of the room, keeping an eye on the patrons. Obviously they are bouncers of some sort. There is a table of men, who are laughing and telling each other jokes while they eat and drink. They are well muscled and obviously no strangers to work. You can hear them every now and then as they make references to “mining”, “silver veins” and various other comments that deal with mining. Some farmers are sting at various tables and discuss the harvest, taxes and normal everyday stuff.  But at one table they seem to be talking about raids made by kobolds on farms to the north and east. At another table some you men have started an impromptu arm wrestling contest, betting coppers against the contestants.  There is a constant on-going flow of talk through out the room.

I sit and wait for my bath, watching the going ons of the patrons, and, listening to the different conversations,  eavesdropping here and there on small tid bits of information (gather information roll if needed).  I listen closer to the men talking of "mining" and those talking of the "raiders".

Also, during this time I order my meal, grilled pork stew, apple cake and a bier, and ask for it to be ready when I return from my bath.  Reg points to me (ooc: without scimitar) as he is speaking to the mage, I raise my hand and tip my head in recognition, thinking, "He must be trying to recruit the mage."

When I am called, I go to the bath, disrobe, and ease myself in to the hot water.  It feels very good, and from what the Castallen said, this will be the only stop at an Inn until we reach Dhurla's Pass.  I leisurely wash up, towel off and dress.

As, I return to the taproom I see Lucius wiping his face and hands, so I sit where I can.  When the serving girl brings my meal, I thank her, tip her a silver, and begin to eat, waiting for Lucius to start the music.   :)

Aramil sits in a quiet corner alone, away from all the comotion of the taproom.  Motioning to a barmaid to bring him a goblet of elven wine, he props one foot up on an adjacent chair.  "This is the life" he says to himself leaning back stretching his aching back.  

Glancing about the room at all the patrons, he cant help but wonder where they are all from and what buisiness the have in Keswick.  He also cant help but think of what riches they may carry with them.

Aramil stops himself before he acts on his thoughts. Remembering the mission at hand.  Surely there will be a time and place for his chosen art to bring him the fame and fortune he's dreamed of all his life.

"The son of an ambassador indeed" he thinks to himself.  "Who needs wealth handed to them on a platter when you can pick and choose the prizes yourself".

Aramil finishes his wine and motions for the barmaid to bring another along with a meal to settle his hungry stomach.

(yikes, sounds like I' on demand!)

Lucius takes his time, frowning slightly at the food which apparently is slightly below his high standards, though he tries to hide it (bluff roll if needed, which I assume I can do rather well). He drinks of the local wine. Sometimes you just can't beet a small viniard for the mellow taste.... Finally, as the apreension is so thick it could be cut with a knife, He stands up, walks to a sutably clear spot in the room and reachs for his harp. Lucius cooly glances from patron to patron.  Where t start? He begins to tune his harp; suddenly, a low drum beat is heard from seemingly nowhere (The mage will recognize, with a spellcraft if needs be, the 0 level Percussion spell). As he begins to play, the drums match lucuis' tempo and beat and what not.

His first song (perform check 24=15+9) is directed at those talking of kobald raids. It goes on about how a small kingdom was once beset by a horde of scaley kind. the castle was valient in it's defence but finally the kobalds were able to breach their defences. When everything is all but lost, a small group of confidant and grim peasants appear on the harison. These peasants are able to turn the tide of the battle and eventually every one lived happily ever after. (I'm assuming during this performance, every one is sitting in awe and what not. I'm going to use one of my bardic music abilities to enspire courage into the group talking of raids. The song ends in about 15 minutes, as it was more of an epic than a simple song and I didn't want to describe the whole thing.)

His second song (16=7+9) is directed towards the farmers. The villagers recognize the tune as a harvest time song known as "The Grain and the Millstone"; any one who has the knowlage, like Lucius, Aramil, or even Balus, will recognize the song is acually an elven ballad about the wine harvest. The song is a light, flighty dance jig and soon the small children, if any are there, begint to do that eratic joyful dance which small ones are known to do occasianally. Soon the adult join in; there feet stamping along to the magic drum beats. The song goes on for what seems like hours, the dance reals repeated again and again. But finally, Lucius begins to tire of the song and a new one begins.

The third song (18=9+9) is one of soothing notes and soft melodies. It goes on for several minutes as the bard begins to walk towards a seat in the corner by the elf. The drums die away and the rooms is left with a feeling of loss, but the kind of loss which is needed and isn't actually all that painfull, like when some one throws away a pitcher of dead flowers which had been picked a week ago. As Lucuis sits, the sweat on his brow is noticable and he quenches his dry throat with a glass of wine.

Reg and Balus politely ignore most of Lucius's performance, occasionally Reg looks around at the other patrons to gauge the bard's performance.

"Well Balus, where were you from originally? If you are slowly making your way north, I'm guessing that is where you are from. As for myself, I'm from a little town that doesn't exist anymore, way out west named Kincaid."

Reg is avoiding his tankard of ale in favour of water.

--Begin--

Balus is now about half-way done with his own tankard of bier.

"I'm from a small farming community called Northwood. And yes, before you ask, my family is happily living there, no great, sweeping raid put the town to the sword and caused me to wander the earth searching for a way to destroy those that have done me wrong..." he gives a chuckle, and reaches out to pet the cat before continuing.

"Sorry, but I've not heard of your own town. Such is the downside to being a scholarly person. Too much time in musty old tomes, not enough in the sunshine..."

--End--

--lstormhammer

"I would have been surprised if you had Balus, heard of my town I mean. So why do you wander then, is it in pursuit of your sorcery?"

Reg is curious, and begining to think it would be useful to have a mage, who doesnt do sing songs.

--Begin--

Balus nods, smiling softly.

"Well, being the second son, my elder brother was to inheirit. So when I learned I had The Gift, I siezed the chance, and went out in the world to make my fortune. I picked up fuzzbucket there shortly after I began my travels, and she's been with me since."

"And what of you? Why do you travel the roads? Fame? Fortune? The adoring crowds welcoming the hero's return?"

--End--

--lstormhammer

Reg winces and then grins when he hears 'Fuzzbucket'.

"Ah second sons, they seem to be the ones that make the world change. As for myself, I took up with travelling master monk. He would travell around the country side righting wrongs and doing good, and I guess it rubbed off on me. I miss him, he was like an uncle to me, he died a long time ago."

Reg hoists his water and drinks a silent toast.