Jump to content
Lady Tam

The Kingdom of Mordant

Recommended Posts

"Well, that leaves Lucius out of the running."  snickers Dymitri    :p   poking fun at the other man.

 "And, as for myself..." he continues, "well, I think I'm still a bit green to be placed in that position."

 He stops and ponders a moment, Anden?  He'll be trying to convert us all.  Archibald?  He'll try and make us all his servants.  Gorin?  Too, tight lipped.  Aramil?  Never around.  Reg just made it known that he doesn't want it.  And, the mage, well he's not even with us yet.  So, who does that leave? then says, "But, if no one else wants it, I will gladly accept the responsibility."  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

???   Dymitri gives Archibald, the footstool, a sidelong glance and rolls his eyes.  He may be a psuedo-dragon, who lives in the castle, but he is no leader.  And, as for an object of "reverence" that is completely in his own eyes, and maybe Anden's.  I can't believe I was in awe of such a conceited beast.  It's too early in the morning for this.  :glare:

:glare:  "I do believe he really believes the drivelle he spouts."  Dymitri says, chuckling a bit, looking at Archibald.

 "An object of "reverence", really?  By who?  I admit...I was in awe of you at first, but now all I see and hear is conceit, and self-gratification." he declares.

 "If you are to be a leader, there is no room for conceit or self-gratification.  You must be willing to give your life for your comrades in arms without hesitation.  And, I don't believe you have that kind of conviction, to anyone!"  :angry:

 "All you care about is your own self-preservation."

 Calming a bit, "You must also be able to take constructive critizism, and suggestions from your comrades, without throwing a tantrum, like a bratty whelp.  Just because you have an idea, or plan doesn't mean there isn't more then one way to skin a "rat", and yours might not be the best way."

 He sighs, "My father told me something once, "The many, outweigh the one", and I believes that applies to our group."  

 "If the party agrees to you as leader, so be it, and I will follow, but I, for one, will not kiss up to your mewling wants and desires."  He exclaims.  :glare:

 He looks at the assemblige, not realizing he is standing, and finishes, "I may be green, but I know I have that conviction, and flexibility.  To put down my life for one of you without hesitation.  Yes, even you Archibald." looking the dragon-kin in the eyes, "Though knowing you, you probably expect it, because I am "below" you."

 "If he is our only candidate, I would gladly take up the mantle as leader of our group.  And, I would lead to the best of my ability, and with your counsel."  Sitting once again, "That's all I have to say."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hehehehe.... I love Cat Familiars, and that bonus to Move Silently...

 

--begin--

 

The first warning they have to The Mage's presence is the soft meow of Mookie.

 

Turning to the direction, the characters see Spellslinger leaning against the bar, only inches from where he was last night. Mookie sits on the bar proper, looking very pleased with herself, while she idly cleans a paw. For that matter, Balus looks a tad smug himself. His outfit is the same as last night, with the addition of almost four and a half feet of razor-sharp steel. A master of arcane energies or no, he wears a hand-and-a-half sword with proficiency, now the question is can he wield it. Hat on head, staff leaning against bar and his backpack at his feet, The Mage looks ready to go.

 

“Forgive Mookie, she sometimes has a flair for dramatics.” he smiles, placing his hat on the bar (no, dropping it on the cat was a complete accident, just ask him).

 

“It appears the Ser Dymitri is adamant in his wish to lead. Not a bad choice. But there are alternatives...” he smiles to them all before sitting down at the bar. “While you all decide, I'm going to break my night's fasting.”

 

Opinionated? Possibly. Smug? There's a chance. Capable of Magick? Definably. But does he simply conjure tricks to amuse bumpkins, or does he have a few cards in his sleeve...?

 

--End--

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Archibald bares his teeth very slightly at Dymitri, and growls.  "And respect is at what cost, biped?  Have I ever behaved other than benevolently towards you?  Leadership goes to the one who is most respected, and who respects those he leads.  I shall NOT support you for leader."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:glare: "Ahhh, temper, temper." Dymitri smiles.

 "Your benevolence towards me, suited your purpose.  I, in your mind, was not a threat, a country bumpkin away from home for the first time.  But, let a challenge be issued to your so-called "rightful place" and your true colors appear."

 Dymitri gazes defiantly at the snarling beastie across from him, "Demanding the respect of the others here.  Expecting it.  And, who says, you are the most respected?  Respect like trust is earned not given.  And, by your actions and non-words thus far you, my dear dragon-kin, have yet to earn mine.  But, who knows what the future holds, you might surprise me."  He smiles again.

 Then he continues, looking at the group,  "I have yet to earn anyones respect, I do not want leadership for my own vanity, but as a challenge and a chance to earn respect.  I do not expect respect.  At this point, I am no better then any of you.  But, by the end of this mission thru my words and actions I would hope to earn some."

 "But, sadly, from this point on, I know no matter what I do, possibly even if I lay down my life for you, I will never earn yours.", looking at Archibald, "Because, you will never forgive or forget this slight."

 He finishes, "I hold to what I said, even about following Archibald, if the group deems him leader.  On this you have my word."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"A lot may change in a few days," Archibald glowers.  "After you have been the plaything of two small children for years, then you may talk to me about forgiveness or respect.  At least the palace children called me 'horsey' and never 'footstool'."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorin tramps downstairs, reasonably rested.  He listens to the arguments regarding party leadership with a stony expression on his face.

 

"While we travel in human lands, it might be best for a human to speak for us.  I don't personally care who, as long as they don't get us all thrown in jail."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slowly as the group continues it ‘discussion’ about choosing a leader other patrons of the inn filter into the common room. The smell of coffee brewing and cooking bacon soon fills the air, as the morning helpers scramble about to get the customers served quickly. Those in the common room this morning have more the look of merchants and fellow travelers, all ready to start off for their destinations. An older woman brings a round of coffee over to the table, making sure everyone has a cup before heading to other tables. Seeing poor Lucius she makes a “tsking” sound before hurrying off to serve the other tables in the room. When she returns she also drops off a small vial for the bard “somethin’ fer yer ‘eadache.” She tells him. “Be a good lad an’ drink it all down.”

 (It’s short and sweet, but I think you guys need to ‘resolve” the leadership thing before moving on. You can just “play it by ear” and see who shows natural leadership ability or “appoint” one for the intern. Your call.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

--begin--

 

Spellslinger continues to sit at the bar. He breaks his fast on a rasher of bacon, fried chicken eggs, roasted potatoes, and coffee black as his cat's fur.

 

Mookie, seeing her Human getting fed, assumes that some of that is for her, as well, and happily nibbles on a bit of crispy bacon.

 

Balus listens to the conversation over at the other table, a wry smile on his features, like one who knows the end of the joke, but doesn't want to spoil it for the rest of them...

 

--End--

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archibald nods agreement with Gorin, then takes his breakfast over to sit at the table containing Balus and Mookie.

 

"As far as I can tell, and this is without the input of certain individuals who have difficulty with concepts relating to furniture and non-furniture, you would be welcome to join us," Archibald muses at the wizard, while properly using a fork and knife to eat his bacon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

--Begin--

 

Mookie investigates Archie's plate, obviously some of that will be for her, as well.

 

Spellslinger smiles to his newest guest at the bar. "I had a feeling of something like that, Archibald. But we'd best let them convince each other of who's leader before they accept me as it."

 

He thoughtfully munches a bite of potato before he speaks again. "On the one hand, they each have an aspect of leadership, on the other, I'll wager a silver piece they've known each other less than a week. It's distrust. Happens all the time, but they need to find who will be the top stone, and who will support the weight."

 

He sips his coffee and smiles to the Dragon. "Forgive me asking, but aren't Dragon-kind a lot larger? Might be just the stories..."

 

--End--

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

--Begin--

 

Balus laughs at the jape and claps his hand to the wooden bar. "Of course!" he says, voice full of merriment.

 

Mookie, finished with her Human's crispy bacon fat, has begin licking her chops, then her paw, then goes about cleaning her tail and whatever else she may deem needing of grooming.

 

"Interesting bunch you're traveling with Archibald, and that is a fact..."

 

Balus reaches over, scruffing up his cat's fur and recieves a glower from the cat for his efforts...

 

--end--

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Despite your subpar attempt at humor Dymitri," Lucius says dryly. "I think I'ld make a smashing leader of this fine fraternity of adventure."

 

I was in awe of you at first, but now all I see and hear is conceit, and self-gratification." he declares.

Lucuis comes out  of his stupor to make a hung over attempt at humore. "Whats wrong with self-indulgance and concietedness?" :D . Lucuis promptly falls asleep again.

 

"salutations Balus." Lucius says with a sleepy smile. "I hope your night was more agreeable than mine." His eybrow rises as Lucius spies the wizards sword. Yikes, new tricks out of your hat Balus.

 

"Salvo my stout friend" Lucius says, by now he is finally awake. "I have faith you had a pleasant night."

 

Lucius greatfully takes the small vial. "Many thanks, and may the your troubles be washed away in the light of a thousand morning suns." Lucius says to the old maid. He also throws in an extra wink for good measure :;): .

 

"I believe certain members of this brotherhood are failling to see several pointed facts." Lucius says as he makes his way to the other side of Balus. "We each have our own special talents. You Belus, can sling the magics like no one I've seen before, better than me for sure." Lucius says this as he eyes the sword with a mage strapped to the front of it.

 

Lucius scans the room for their elven companion before continueing. "While I do have several tricks up my sleeves, Arimil could pick my pocket in his sleep."

 

Lucius glances in turn at Gorrin and Dymitri. "Either of you two could easily-"  AS much as I hate to admit it.... "-repel my best efforts in a duel of honor."

 

Lucius next eyes Reg uncomfortalby I really hate to compliment this fellow..... "Though I consider myself as gracefull as the swan, you, master monk, could easily resist the most deadly of blows with your bare hands."

 

Lucius gives a questuioning look towards the cieling to their rooms above before continuing. "I try my best to inspire the masses I do admit. No one can do this as well as a man of the gods like Arden."

 

"You, oh scaled one, though not a proper respite for the challenges of bipedialhood," Lucius says this in a dry manner, as if he has had enough of thepsuedo-dragon's self enfatuaion. "Can rub elbows with nobility just as good, if not better, than me."

 

"If we choose a leader now, we only run the risk of harming ourselves. Diversification is the key my fellows-" Lucius suddenly looks down at the floor, his face turning red in embarasment for hogging so much of their time. "Besaides," He mumbles. "we were talking about Belus joining us in the first place." Lucius sits back down at the bar and timidly pets the familiar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

--Begin--

 

Balus Spellslinger smiles to Lucius and greets him. "Good morrow. I highly suggest some willow's bark tea and lots of water to kill that headache. Madness, I know it sounds like, but trust me on this one."

 

Of matters such as leadership, Balus remains strangly quiet.

 

Mookie has decided now is Attention Time, and crawls over Spellslinger's lap, purring and rubbing. The sort of behavior that would look bad, if Mookie did not do it so adorably.

 

While Balus scritchies his kitties, he thanks Lucius for his gracious invitation. "I thank you, but I should warn you, a lot of what I did last night was just minor magicks. And not for long at that." He sips some coffee, thinking of a way to translate the wonderous into the mundane. "Think... think of it as a piece of metal. With the right tools, you can do anything with it. But your arms get tired. In time, when I've built up the strength, I can do more wonderous things."

 

At the glance given to his blade, he grins. "That's right, I wasn't wearing my weapon last night. Yes, I am skilled in its use."

 

Mookie finally calms down and sits in Balus' lap, purring and kneeding his leg...

 

--End--

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...