May the light have mercy on it's passenger

For surely he will not

OrchidAssasin3.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful work on the cloak. I am assuming that it was done with a mixture of wet-blending and layering. It is a stunning blue. The skin tones also look good and your base is great.

The only thing I don't like is the knife. The blade looks fairly boring and flat, which when compared to the skill shown in the rest of the miniature, seems oddly out of place.

Overall, he looks great though.

TS

Wow WHAT A BlUE!!! I Love it! Would you tell us how you did it?? Unfortunatly I agree to TaleSpinner concerning the Blade, it's a pity. It would great if you could improve the Blade a little bit. Then the paintjob would be just Perfect. Base looks great too I like the Dark Water.

Thank you :blush:

Beautiful work on the cloak. I am assuming that it was done with a mixture of wet-blending and layering. It is a stunning blue. The skin tones also look good and your base is great.

The only thing I don't like is the knife. The blade looks fairly boring and flat, which when compared to the skill shown in the rest of the miniature, seems oddly out of place.

Overall, he looks great though.

TS

Yes, it is wet blends and layering, give that man a prize! :lol:

The blade is going to be a shortfall to many, myself included, but I had to call it or I was going to work it to death (futzed with this one on and off for over a year).

Wow WHAT A BlUE!!! I Love it! Would you tell us how you did it?? Unfortunatly I agree to TaleSpinner concerning the Blade, it's a pity. It would great if you could improve the Blade a little bit. Then the paintjob would be just Perfect. Base looks great too I like the Dark Water.

The base blue that I mixed the group for this from started with a peacock blue/green from Liquitex with Golden's heavy body ultramarine blue added a tad at a time (that stuff is STRONG), the stages were done with titanium white. I used the same blue to tint the water. :;):

That is awesome Orchid. I love that cloak. The dagger looks a little rough in some spots (being extremely critical...).

Love the base. One suggestion: Paint a layer or two of Future Floor finish over the water.

Me too. ::D: The base made me very happy. Are you suggesting the future for more gloss? If so, the water is very glossy, but it got lost in setting the lighting for the mini. I use Liquitex Heavy Body Gloss Gel Medium for water effects now, I can color it, blend the colors just like working with my usual paints, and it stays super glossy and rather transparent. It has made doing water SO much easier, even waterfall type effects are easier.

Here is a wip of the base, before I white capped the waves and added some more untinted gloss for extra depth, you can see a little more of the gloss on it.

post-675-1163440729.jpg

The base blue that I mixed the group for this from started with a peacock blue/green from Liquitex with Golden's heavy body ultramarine blue added a tad at a time (that stuff is STRONG), the stages were done with titanium white. I used the same blue to tint the water. :;):

I use the Golden ultramarine as well for my blues, it's very very nice to have on hand. I had trouble painting this mini, especially the arm and dagger, due to the funky angle they are positioned in. Oh yeah the face as well was hard to reach and paint. I was never really satisfied with my take on this mini so I've left it nearly finished for about a year myself before I go back in and touch it up to completion.

It's ironic because I thought this mini would be a breeze to paint, ended up being more of a challenge than I thought hehe. I like your version, it looks almost the same as mine, except your's has a blend of blues going across the whole cloak whereas mine concentrates more on the folds and recessess.

Nothing that wasn't said already - but I really like the basing. I've seen

products at the hobby shop to make water; it's cool to see it done without

that stuff.

I decided i didn't like the Woodland Senics water effects, for one it would fog/cloud back up to easily with humidity, so I gave this stuff a try and love it. It's thick enough that it's fun to play with what it'll do.

orchid - i just noticed your location comment: The home of happiness is under Janet's Hat! ::D:

:lol::devil:

vhaidra, you are more than welcome, I wish I could give you the name on that peacock color, but it didn't make it up to Denton with us. And Liquitex is just another of the "fine art" lines.

I use the Golden ultramarine as well for my blues, it's very very nice to have on hand. I had trouble painting this mini, especially the arm and dagger, due to the funky angle they are positioned in. Oh yeah the face as well was hard to reach and paint. I was never really satisfied with my take on this mini so I've left it nearly finished for about a year myself before I go back in and touch it up to completion.

It's ironic because I thought this mini would be a breeze to paint, ended up being more of a challenge than I thought hehe. I like your version, it looks almost the same as mine, except your's has a blend of blues going across the whole cloak whereas mine concentrates more on the folds and recessess.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one he gave such grief to. :blink:

I can't find yours in a search...... so when do we get to see it? Hmmm? ::):

Yes, it is wet blends and layering, give that man a prize! :lol:

What do I get? :lol:

The blade is going to be a shortfall to many, myself included, but I had to call it or I was going to work it to death (futzed with this one on and off for over a year).

Ah, yes. Been at that spot many times.

Thanks for sharing him, and nice work.

TS