Testor Dullcote Problems

Hey all

I've been using dullcote lately for a while and I've noticed for some reason that lately, the varnish started pooling in the crevices then cracks and turns white as if its brittle.

And also, there tends to be a hazy look over many of the crevices and even some of them looked to have air bubbles stuck underneath the coat of varnish.

Does anyone know why this is happening? :unsure:

I am not sure if its wether I spray too much or too closely or perhaps lately it mgiht tbe the colder weather. I dunno, has this happened to any of you before?

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Humidity will do this with that brand. I use it constantly and have been for 3 years now. I noticed the odd "fuzzing" last fall around this time, and remember from the year before how it happened before.

Humidity around this time of season (US Fall/Autumn) could be the culprit. I'm so paranoid about this effect happening that I don't use Testor's Dulcote even after I've taken a shower as I'm worried about the humidity in the air.

Try a dry day, spray from 8-12 inches away. Shake the can extremely well, as in for 2 minutes. I paint alot, so when it's pouring outside I don't use Dulcote. I use Citadel Matte Varnish, which doesn't dry as "clean" as Dulcote but has never given me issues with fuzzing or fogging as you describe. Only Testor's does that, and only when it's humid.

It's high quality, but relatively high maintenance (as well as price!) in my experience of continued use.

The pooling sounds like you sprayed too much on those areas. Thin layers are much better than thick ones.

If the paint isn't completely dry when you spray, then there will be a reaction between the dullcote and the water to make a white mess. If you add a drying retarder to your paints, you will need to wait a while after the paint looks dry.

As for issues with humidity, it has never given me a problem - including opening the door and spraying the DullCote through the open dooray while it was raining outside (45-95F outside)

Hmm, could be the extender in the wash I use. Maybe that's it.

Oh and also, what is the preferable humidity for spraying dullcote? like 40%-50% around there?

I usually spray at a lower humidity, merely because it almost never gets very humid here.

The best trick I've heard of for fixing white Dullcote is this: let it dry, and get the mini in a low humidity environment. Make sure the can's very well shaken, and all that other usual stuff, then spray the mini with another layer of Dullcote. This will mix with the lower layer and should 'defrost' it. Put it under a hot lamp and leave it there til dry. You should end up with no white on it at all.

The best trick I've heard of for fixing white Dullcote is this: let it dry, and get the mini in a low humidity environment. Make sure the can's very well shaken, and all that other usual stuff, then spray the mini with another layer of Dullcote. This will mix with the lower layer and should 'defrost' it. Put it under a hot lamp and leave it there til dry. You should end up with no white on it at all.

I had a problem similar to Vinny's when I used a new can of dullcote at a convention. I didn't shake it up enough and didn't squirt out a little first before applying it to the model. It came out speckled white. It was really bad, and I was pretty bummed. My friends, as compassionate as all good friends are, dubbed the model, "Sir Dandruff." ;)

But then they told me to do the same thing that WS suggested abovebut said I should do a rather heavy coating. One even told me to use a gloss coat, and then dullcote again, as the gloss has more thinner in it than the dull, so it loosens the spots even better. I haven't tried that, but the dullcote worked fine (oh by the way, I didn't need to put it under a lamp).