Sign in to follow this  
Brushmaster

A Worrying Trend

I've just noticed the latest addition to the Sisters list , Olivia , also has Healer SA . First , it was Logrim and then Tallis . While Healer is a cool SA , on an elite or leader , its very powerful and with Olivia being non-unique I can see her being common place in any Merc , Sisters , Freelance or 25% Merc list . <_<

Don't forget the Lupine Shaman and the Hospitaliers as well.

I do regret seeing it become much more common place. I really did like it when it was a more unique special ability. Putting it on Clerics that can already purchase Bandages is nice, but also means they can skip those purchases now and pick up some big spells.

On the plus side, Healer requires you to be in base to base contact with the injured model, so you're going to place that Healer in harm's way if you want it as effective, rather than leaving your Cleric back 18 inches in relative safety.

I've been trying to get Healer to work for a while now. I'm not having great success. Lupine Shaman got himself dead in all three games before he was useful. My pack of Hospitaliers were in the wrong places and the wrong times...and then got dead. Last game I did have Tallis and he was more than worth it. Mainly because he's a great warrior in addition to a healer. He was surrounded by 3 skeleton pirates and we both wrote him off. Lo, he keeps fighting and kills all three pirates. He runs to a wounded Arik and heals him up. It was great! So he's the only one I've got to work. You gotta get the healer into the thick of battle to really work and that part makes it dangerous. And they can't heal themselves.

I see more and more Healer SA popping up. Are every Cleric in the game going to end up with Healer? What about the poor clerics who aren't gettinng the new toys? Don't any Crusaders have Healer other than Hospitaliers?

Well, the Crusaders do have Kristianna and her blast. But, I agree that there are a bunch of different healers out there now. The main thing that it does is allow freelancers to put healers in multiple troops.

That was always the thing with the Crusaders, could have a bunch of them, but they all had to be in the same troop.

Now, with more of them coming out, you can spread them around.

But, overall I am not worried about it. As discussed, since they have to be in b2b and they still cost a pretty penny, I dont think that it is becoming a problem yet. Just adds more intrigue and options.

For Crusaders (in one troop):

Halbarad w/ Breath of Shadhadrazzadai (or however you spell it)

Hospitalier x2

Use Hal to bring back one of your big boys (Sir Damon works great for this) on their last track. Keep the Hospitaliers in a position to place Sir Damon in b2b w/ both of them when he is resurrected. Invoke w/ each to heal and viola! Sir Damon is back at full strength. Move the Hospitaliers someplace safer.

Healers can be a definite risk. Fortunately at least with the Hospitaliers, they are all Ronin. Run them all over the place. Use them to Mercy using the Healing Grace, and then they have their own bodyguards. If you field Duke Gerard, you can use them as his Adepts with The Wolf, and have a couple Hospitaliers in 2 troops.

Sorry Qwyk , but Hopitaliers are the one troop that can not use Gerard's Wolf ability . You can't have 2 troops with them unless you play 2000+ . :poke:

Sorry Qwyk , but Hopitaliers are the one troop that can not use Gerard's Wolf ability . You can't have 2 troops with them unless you play 2000+ . :poke:

I am admitadly rusty. But I believe you can use The Wolf w/ Hospitaliers if you don't elect to use the option of making Hospitaliers non-unique Elites instead of Adepts. But I don't have a book in front of me. So I'm likely wrong. :poke:

As far as Olivia goes: I wouldn't worry too much about it. She's otherwise a pretty typical cleric (though the non-unique is intersting...) with a little something extra...

You can use The Wolf to field Hospitaliers, so long as they are all fielded as Adepts.

You cannot use The Wolf with Gerard to field Hospitaliers as Adepts, and in other troops as Elites.

And now I have to go in the other room to get my book so I can quote it to avoid further arguement. ^_^

When fielding an all Crusader company the Crusader may choose to field any Hospitaliers in the Company as either Adepts or non Unique Elite models. They may not be fielded as both Adepts and Elites in the same Fightng Company and Duke Gerard's "Wolf" ability does not allow them to be taken in his troop as Soldiers and as Elites in other Troops.

Let's just review the last sentence. You cannot use them in his troop and as Elites. i.e. You cannot use "The Wolf" to get around the rule of Elites or Adepts, but not both.

There is nothing preventing you from using them as Soldiers in Gerard's troop, and Adepts in other troops.

Hmmm , myself and SE had this discussion and came to my previous conclusion . The way you have worded it , your rationale seems just . Its always good to see something from a different point of view to open one's eyes . :rolleyes:

For Crusaders (in one troop):

Halbarad w/ Breath of Shadhadrazzadai (or however you spell it)

Hospitalier x2

Fly your Bone Horror over and pounce on the Hospitaliers [spat]. No matter the cost, no matter the tactic disadvantage, just kill them!

Sorry Mike, you forgot that part. Please continue.

Use Hal to bring back one of your big boys (Sir Damon works great for this) on their last track. Keep the Hospitaliers in a position to place Sir Damon in b2b w/ both of them when he is resurrected. Invoke w/ each to heal and viola! Sir Damon is back at full strength. Move the Hospitaliers someplace safer.

Healers can be a definite risk. Fortunately at least with the Hospitaliers, they are all Ronin. Run them all over the place. Use them to Mercy using the Healing Grace, and then they have their own bodyguards. If you field Duke Gerard, you can use them as his Adepts with The Wolf, and have a couple Hospitaliers in 2 troops.

Fly your Bone Horror over and pounce on the Hospitaliers [spat]. No matter the cost, no matter the tactic disadvantage, just kill them!

Sorry Mike, you forgot that part. Please continue.

You know, I've found that in all the games I have played so far with Crusaders, where people knew what Hospitaliers could really do, they were a number one target. The folks that didn't know how good they could be, once they saw, also targetted them immediately.

That just means I have to find new ways to defend them, or use them as the chained goat to bring out the dragons... :devil:

What's really hilarious is that it's been over a half a year since he's even had to face Hospitaliers, and his hatred of them still burns white-hot...

I may have to buy another blister... :devil: