New Dwarven Cleric

Evilbob

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An enthusiastic Hoody-Hoo seems appropriate, a dwarf warlord who carries armour and no pets. :bday: His stats are so good that he can be taken as a cheap combat character with little or no spells and still be good or equipped with a plethora of spells and serve as spell-jockey as well. It seems the dwarf community is still in chock over finally having an top of the market warlord, the clergy makes up for weak secular rulers. Maybe we’re getting some ancestors as well.

Pack him full of dispells and march him down your throat with some Halbediers and Soldiers in a nice tight defensive formation. And his DV and MAV are bloody awesome for a Cleric Warlord. He actually seems underpointed, but I bet they've run it through their point blender a few times. He's a very competent Melee Warlord + a powerful Cleric. I would expect him to be in the 300 range. Maybe the 201 is a typo... <shrug>

... I would expect him to be in the 300 range. Maybe the 201 is a typo... <shrug>

Heresy! :lol:

I think that having 2 attacks cut his cost alot - the typical warlord has 3 attacks. It also appears that he doesn't have any of the very expensive SA's (i.e. Scrye or whatever). Remember that Thorgram minus Scrye Shot would probably come out to 264 points. Herryk also lacks Deflect, Trencher and Spy. I'm sure Spy isn't a cheap ability. Holy is great but it's specialized, and Cleric/Mage don't ever seem to cost too much either, so that wouldn't boost his cost too much. Monster Slayer is also a specialized ability and wouldn't be carrying too much cost. So, while he seems very good and I'll admit to being shocked by his seemingly low cost, I really don't think it's a misscalculation.

Also, remember that while you can field him spell-less and use him as a seemingly cheap 201 point melee fighter, that if you do that you waste Cleric 3/12, Defensive Magic, and CP 6. So in order to get the most bang for your buck you need to give him spells, which would bump you up to 250 easily, if not into the 300 range - Especially since his high CP makes him a viable caster of things like Call Lightning, Part, Hold, etc, which cost more than your typical Bandage and Bless (which he'll likely pack as well).

Comparing him ot Kiakara, he seems aobut right or maybe a slight bargain. He doesn't have spy, which is an abilitiy you'll always use. He does have monster hunter, but that may or may not come into play. She is cheaper and if you're going to use her as a cleric and not for melee, she is a good deal as the 50 points saved can buy a good amount of spells.

I think he's ok, but he is overpriced as a cleric and also as a hero. You can't do spells AND melee in the same turn (except for Def), so some of the overlap is costing you points. :shrug:

I think the main reason to recommend this Model is its cheapness compared to the other Dwarven warlords. Otherwise, I believe this Model is a middle of the road warlord in terms of value due to the point Ranz makes about the waste in being a split Fighter/Cleric rather than being focused on one aspect or the other. Dump the Warmaster and knock it down to #MA 1 for about 150 points and then there would be something to crow about!

Rich

I think the main reason to recommend this Model is its cheapness compared to the other Dwarven warlords. Otherwise, I believe this Model is a middle of the road warlord in terms of value due to the point Ranz makes about the waste in being a split Fighter/Cleric rather than being focused on one aspect or the other. Dump the Warmaster and knock it down to #MA 1 for about 150 points and then there would be something to crow about!

Rich

It's all part of the master plan... Dwarf players are so twitchy about a cheap Warlord they'll take anything coming down the pike, just so long as it's less than 300 points. :lol:

He's a very competent Melee Warlord + a powerful Cleric. I would expect him to be in the 300 range. Maybe the 201 is a typo... <shrug>

Going for a melee build vs General Matisse. Give Herryk GMW and 2xDispel and give Matisse LMW+MD. Assume both have musicians. Now they are both #MA 3, Mov 6, Dis 9, MAV 7, DV 11, MD 13. The differences:

Herryk: Holy, Monster Slayer, Extra damage track, 2xDispel

Matisse: Spy, 34 points saved

That looks about right to me (and both too expensive for my tastes!)

Going for a cleric build vs Neb'nesew Ne'pet. Give Herryk a musician and give NN GMA. Now they both are Mov 6, Dis 9, DV 11, CP 6, MD 13, Cleric 3/12, Defensive Magic. The differences:

Herryk: Extra damage track, Tough +1, 2 Defensive Strikes at MAV 5

NN: Horrid, Spy, Undead, 1 Defensive Strike at MAV 2, 46 points saved

This is no contest. If I want a cleric, I would much prefer NN. Herryk is a crummy value as a cleric.

Rich

I don't think it's a bad thing that he is a little too expensive as either a cleric or fighter. You DO get the option and that should cost something. Not being a spy sux a little as does the other one not being a tactician. The extra damage track IS nice. I plan ot use him.

He doesn't have to choose Melee over Magic if most of the spells he packs are Defensive Spells...

That's why I gave him 2 Dispels in melee form. Is there another defensive magic spell for clerics?

... or a Bandage/Cure cast on the March.

I see this only being useful when a single move charge is short of contact but a double move would end in contact; single moving and casting a spell would probably be better than a double move to contact in this case. In all other cases, this Model needs to spend every turn either fighting or double moving towards the enemy or else its fighting abilities are being wasted. Things would be different if we were talking about an Elven warlord since it could then just stand around waiting for the enemy to try to close. Dwarves generally have to do the closing, so an action spent casting a spell usually means a turn of melee lost.

Rich