Anwyn the Bard

Wren

Oooooo!. you said think pink and I did, neon 1990's hot pink. This is so much better than I was expection. Adn everything is so smooth.

I might take the hair up one more notch, but thats coming from someone not real great at hair personally.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm so happy everyone's liking the pink. Even non-neon pink doesn't seem to be a very popular colour in the mini world, so I wasn't sure how it would go over.

Voladilk - The objects on the ground are real dried flowers, I think this species is galled Gyp or mini Gyp. They came dyed, but I did some washes and drybrushing using the main pink colours on the piece to tie them in more. I got them at Joann's a couple of years ago, but I've never again seen that variety on sale. I have found a type called Caspia on sale at Michael's, and it's very pretty and useful for basing and such.

Jubilee - The top highlights on the silver are pure white. I use Jester's method from the Darkson Designs book for painting gray-based NMM, which is to basecoat almost pure white (Misty Grey, I think), then add the white highlights, then glaze down all the other tones. I think the problem is I probably left too large an area in the lightest tones? I was frustrated with the hair and didn't go up as high as I should have.

Vhaidra and Spatual - I usually do my darklining right after I paint the basecoat of an area, so if I mess up it's easy to paint over it and fix. Though it's usually the case that there will be at least a couple of areas where the darklining gets obscured by the layering process and I do have to go back in after everything's painted, and that certainly happened with Anwyn here. I recently saw some Escoda sable brushes on sale at my local art store and I bought the 2/0 and the 1. These are great brushes, long bristles and incredibly fine points. The 2/0 is a super liner, and it using it made it pretty easy to go in and fix the darklining with thin and even strokes.

Darkstar - Thanks for noticing the hands! I don't know why, but I really like painting hands, and usually put a fair amount of effort into it. I felt it was particularly important with this character as her hands are part of her profession sort of thing.

vutpakdi - Awww, you're making me blush!

cool thanks Wren, I will have to see if I can find some of those flowers over here. We unfortunately don't have Michael's over here at all, so it might take some hunting, but now that I know what to look for it will be much easier. they do add a wonderful touch to the base and tie the base in well with the rest of the composition.

Jubilee - The top highlights on the silver are pure white. I use Jester's method from the Darkson Designs book for painting gray-based NMM, which is to basecoat almost pure white (Misty Grey, I think), then add the white highlights, then glaze down all the other tones. I think the problem is I probably left too large an area in the lightest tones? I was frustrated with the hair and didn't go up as high as I should have.

I think you're right with regards to the NMM - I should have said it needs more contrast, or more of a "hot spot" than a "blended highlight" for the white parts.. :)

/ali

Hi Wren,

Very nice, I'm glad someone poited out the hands cause the are great, I think you really brought out this sculpts strengths with your paintjob. I picture her summoning a unicorn or a pack of hungry giant rats to her aid or something, very cool.