Tamiya Fine Surface White issues

Naterstein

Well about a week ago now, I primed almost all my mini's with this stuff and when I went to paint them I got horrible results. First layer went on streaky and splotchy. I was forced to use paint straight from the bottle. Second was a lil better, and third finally covered most of the splotches but not all after see the mini's under fluorescent lights. I am not sure if its my fault or what, but seems like the Tamiya is too "plasticized" or mebbe I just got it too thick. Now these mini's are sitting in Simple Green in hopes that they are salvageable.

I have a can of Floquil Base Figure White, but it does take a long time to prime with that IIRC, but the results of the finish and how well it held paint escapes me as I cannot remember which were primed with it. Which Floquil is the one everyone is jazzed about? I mean exact name of the product.

Due to the Duplicolor vs Krylon thread I am really leaning toward trying Duplicolor now.

I am painting these pieces for play, but I still like to do my best paintjob on even play pieces, so I am looking for the best results from a primer. Little to no detail loss and good RMS paint adhereance.

I know the primer subject has been beaten into the ground, and I have read just about all of them over the last two days, but still looking for some advice.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you wash the mini before you primed it? This usually helps the paint stick to the primer better.

If you're having issues after you've primed it, you can give the mini a light coat of Dullcote. The paint will stick to that, but you'll need to be careful not to rub off the paint since it doesn't stick to dullcote as well as it does to good primer.

I use Tamiya primer exclusively now, and as long as the mini is clean before priming, I don't have the issue of paint sticking to it any more.

Yeah I brushed them with an old toothbrush using warm water with a drop of soap. I let them dry over nite. Then I primed em in around 60F weather but quickly brought them indoors. I let them dry overnite before attempting to paint (this was mainly out of laziness).

I really cannot decide now. I kinda wanna try the Grey version since I heard it was far better than white. Duplicolor seems to be gaining ALOT of support from this board and confrontations board, but so is Tamiya... so I dunno. Really on the fence.

could also be you priming & then bring them inside quickly. I've always had good results with priming, leaving them outside a bit & then bring them in.

then again I have better results, spray painting in colder weather then I do warm weather...

RM

I have no experience with the primers mentioned in this thread, that being said, it's because for the last 3 years I've been using Citadel White Primer in a can. After several hundred minis I've had one (1) problem with it ever.

I highly recommend this stuff. It's gone up to 9 dollars a can (US) now, so it's pretty expensive, but I can absolutely rely on it to be consistent and problem free from can to can.

For brush on primer I use a Model Master variety from Testors that works well straight from the jar with little dilution and sets up pretty quick, in case I need to primer a piece that I've added on to a painted conversion or something and don't want to spray.

Hmmm... this makes me wonder what I am doin wrong. I shook the can for about 3mins the day of priming them.

Heres the method I use to prime since perhaps it is my technique that is the problem. I sit about 4-6 minis on an old TV table with them standing upright on their bases. I have the can about 8 inches away then I start spraying straight on about 3-4 inches off to the side of thmini. Then I do ~2-3sec sweep across the entire line horizontally at an 45 degree upward angle trying to spray from below. I wait a few seconds turn all mini's about 90 degrees. Repeat the spraying process. I do this until they are refacing me at which time I give them the 45 degree downward second coat. Then I do one quick sweep over the top of them if it looks like there is any top parts that didnt get covered. After the second coat, I pull each mini up to eyelevel to see any missed spots, if there are any I try to sweep over that spot at the best angle to hit the afflicted area. Then i bring them inside to "cure" for the nite.

I am thinking about adopting the paper plate on the ground method. Still on the fence as I know this primer is superior for keeping the details, but I havent had good results and its pretty hard to get that stuff off.

Thanks

Your technique sounds generally fine to me though I don't spray as long as you do per pass. I do three passes from right to left and then back for each pass. First pass is straight on, second is down at 45 deg, third is up at 45 deg. The passes are about a second for 4-6 minis.

I have found that from primer brand to primer brand, you do need to modify technique a bit. With Krylon, I have to go a bit faster. With Duplicolor, a bit slower.

It really might be a bad can given that I've heard good things about Tamiya.

Or, have you tried different paints as well? Do they all do the same thing?

Ron

Only have RMS paints really.

I meant both different brands as well as different colors within the brand that you have. So, different colors within RMS in your case. Have you used the colors that you are causing problems before (on other primers) without any problem? Just trying to bracket the problem.

Ron

• Reaper User

Hmmm, weird, I love the Tamiya and I only paint with Master Series. It could well be a temperature/humidity issue, as different primers do cure differently dependent on temp. Or it is possible that your primer got too thick; I find I only need a light spray with Tamiya. It is an enamel primer and so it has very little "tooth" to hold the paint. Perhaps an excessive coating just gets too smooth. Whatever the case, I find with my usual 4:1 paint to water basecoat ratio I don't have an issue with Tamiya. I'll second the query as to whether you've used these colors over other primers, or other colors over this primer, without issues in the past?

--Anne ::):

It is an enamel primer and so it has very little "tooth" to hold the paint

Just to throw in my 2c and support Anne in this a bit.

This problem is pretty common with Tamiya when the primer coat is too thick...with any paint.

I fix it one of two ways, depending on what I'm doing---

Strip it right away--or

Just paint more coats. I don't thicken my paint to do this, I just keep painting until it "grabs". I can't tell you whether or not that's the right answer or not---but it does seem to work.

Oh yea..I usually have this problem on flat surfaces that are forward on the mini----the ones that would get the most primer on a typical spray.

I don't have this problem with Krylon, but it's not as fine as the Tamiya--and seems to be a bit more "forgiving", but the Tamiya is still my top choice because of the finish it gives me.

Cheers.

Kev

Mebbe Ill try it again.. tho it has been really ruff stripping these.

Floquil, I know came out a lil grainy but it was a fairly humid day during the summer that I primed the minis with Floquil.

I am fairly certain that the primer is on too thick, but I think I am used to seeing alot of white with other primers in the past. This time I will try my best to get em primed and start painting that night so I can put them in the stripper if necessary.

Thanks for the feed back. Guess I need to go faster on the sweeps and maybe try lying the figs down on plates instead of standing them up.