Yesterday's Tulsa Tournament

Warwick

Whew, I had to keep these scenarios under wraps and it was killing me. I couldn't let the few players in Tulsa who read the forums have an unfair advantage.

We had six people playing, with two more calling in sick and/or busy. It worked out perfectly that no one fought on the same table. The format was 1,000 points, 3 rounds with random opponents. Each game you got 3 Tournament Points for a win, 2 for a tie, and 1 for a loss. Also, there was one Tournament Point built into each scenario up for grabs. Since there could easily be a tie, there were bunches of Tie Breaker Points to be had as well. Turns out we had a 3-way tie for second place, so Tie Breaker Points were priceless. I think a good time was had by all. I gave away prizes for first, second, and third. The player with the worst record got new dice. And I gave out door prizes randomly, which were Warlord familiars. Now I'm planning a new tournament for January.

Senario 1

Setup: Roll 1d10. The player with the low roll must place an entire unit with at least one non-Beast model in it at the parley point. This unit is positioned no more than 6" away from the parley point and not crossing into enemy territory, basically a half circle with 6" radius. The winner of the dice off then chooses his own unit with at least one non-Beast model in it. This unit is positioned no more than 6" away from the parley point and not crossing into enemy territory, basically a half circle with 6" radius. After these units are placed, the rest of the opposing armies are placed as normal with a draw deck in a 12" x 48" deployment zone along their own table edge.

Victory Conditions: The player with the most Victory Points is the winner. Victory Points are counted for models killed as normal expect for Grunts and Adepts, who count as zero points. Only Leaders, Elites, and Solos killed count toward Victory Points. Tough rolls are allowed after time is called on all stunned models. If one player kills every opposing model, he wins regardless of Victory Point count. The first Leader (Warlord, Captain, Sargent) model killed earns the killing player 1 additional Tournament Point.

Tie Breaker Points: The first ten models killed from either side are worth 1 TBP each.

Scenario 2

Setup: Deployment zones are 12" x 48". Deploy using normal rules.

Special Rules: A square block with a statue on it is being fought over in the middle of the board. The statue cannot be damaged or moved. No model may stand on any part of the statue or its base. At the beginning of the game, each player must identify the most expensive model in their army (after upgrades and spells). In case of a tie for most expensive model in an army, the owner must pick which one is considered “most expensive” for this game.

Victory Conditions: When time is called, the player with the most points worth of models in flat side, base to base contact with the statue wins the game. Stunned models down at the end of the game are not considered in base to base contact, even if they pass their Tough check. The first player to kill off the most expensive enemy model gains 1 additional Tournament Point.

Tie Breaker Points: At the end of each turn (when you shuffle the cards), each player earns 1 TBP for each model in flat side contact with the statue.

Scenario 3

Setup: Deployment zones are 12" x 48". Deploy using normal rules.

Special Rules: No aces may be used in the initiative deck. After a suit is chosen for each player, the ace of that suit is placed in the deck. Each time the ace comes up, the controlling player of that suit may summon a bolt of lightning that strikes any one model on the table regardless of cover. The bolt of lightning hits with CP 5 vs the model’s MD and causes 1 wound. Models killed in this way count toward Victory Points.

Victory Conditions: The player who has the most Victory Points wins the game. The first player to kill 500 or more points of enemy models gains 1 additional Tournament Point.

Tie Breaker Points: For every complete unit removed from play, the killing player gains 1 TB point.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That tournament was a total blast!! For once, I actually got to play in a tournament IN Tulsa! Woo hoo!! :bday:

Here's the army list I was fielding. Kudos to someone who can tell me the common theme. :devil:

Dust Devil

Arnise

4 Death Seekers

4 Nagendra Rangers

Musician

Griffon

Kassandra

4 Shadow Sisters

4 Blade Sisters

Musician

Totals: 996 Points, 20 Models, 4 Troops, 4 Init Cards

Let me tell you what, the Initiative Gawd was not smiling on me AT ALL the entire tournament. I did not go first on any turn except the last one during Round One. In fact, during one turn, my opponent activated all 5 of his units in a row. Yes, that royally sucked. It almost cost me the game. I was playing against Darkspawn. At the end of the game, with 2 minutes to spare, all that was left on the table was Kassandra with one wound on her! :blink:

The second round I faced the Elves. He had an interesting list: Mossbeard; Selwynn with Caerwynn and 4 Archers; Arnise with 5 or 6 Death Seekers. That was it! I got uber-lucky with Mossbeard. I had Arnise, a Death Seeker, Kassandra, and 3 Shadowsisters all in base to base with Mossy. I only lost Arnise. That was sweet. I thumped him quite handily. :lol:

The third round I faced the Reptus...almost. He was fielding all Reptus but one model: Lysette from the Elves. He was also fielding Ssudai. Yes, he had two mages that was suped up and weidling Firestorms and Ice Shards oh my! This was the Lightning Bolt scenario, and those suckers ALMOST allowed me to win. I used them to kill Lysette, Uru, a troll, and two Chai-Uuts! However, the Chai-Uuts were on their last damage tracks at the time. ^_^ But, he got the inititiative almost every turn (just like round one :angry: ) and it made a world of difference. I wasn't able to overcome the lack of init like I did in round one.

I found out afterwards, that if I won the third round, I took 1st. If I lost (which I did), then I needed a decent amount of tie breaker points to take 2nd. I got 4 points, which put me one point ahead of the Darkspawn player. Woo hoo!! :B):

Warwick had imposed 75 minute time limits on every round, with a 3-turn minimum as well. If you didn't either 1) complete three turns in the time limit or 2) kill every enemy model in the time limit, then each player automatically suffered a loss. No game ever went to time. The closest was my first game with 2 minutes to go. One game actually only had two turns before all enemy models were dead!! :blink:

However, there were almost no rules questions, and those that did come up, Warwick (rarely myself) would quickly make a ruling and playing would resume. No fuss, no muss. That was very nice. ::):

I know I look forward to the next tournament. :wub:

Wild Bill :blues:

sounds like a great little tourney.

Warwick, if you havent already, make sure to add these scenarios to the tourney scenario thread that I started a while back.

Oh, and tell Ashford, he still needs to accept our game from the Dallas tourney.

I look forward to being able to come up and join you guys for a nother game sometime.

Here's the army list I was fielding. Kudos to someone who can tell me the common theme. ik_devil.gif

Dust Devil

Arnise

4 Death Seekers

4 Nagendra Rangers

Musician

Griffon

Kassandra

4 Shadow Sisters

4 Blade Sisters

Musician

Speed Kills.

Here's the army list I was fielding. Kudos to someone who can tell me the common theme. ik_devil.gif

Dust Devil

Arnise

4 Death Seekers

4 Nagendra Rangers

Musician

Griffon

Kassandra

4 Shadow Sisters

4 Blade Sisters

Musician

Speed Kills.

Every model has Ranger.

PS

While ecs05 was on the right track, Storminator was correct!! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!! :devil:

Yes, the surprise on my Darkspawn opponent's face during deployment when I did the Ranger phase was priceless. "Do you have Ranger moves?", I ask. "No. Do you?", says he. "Why yes I do. My whole army in fact."

He then proceeds to go "Oh crap!" as I complete surround his parley unit (see scenario one) with my Kassandra unit. :devil:

Priceless. :lol:

Heh heh! I got to observe the tournament, and it was a blast! Thanks for letting me come hang out and watch. Kudos to Top Deck Games for opening up on a Sunday for us.

I particularly enjoyed watching the tactics of the second scenario. Tie-breaker points were given out at the end of each round for models in base-to-base contact with the statue, so it was fun to watch how the players divided their forces between greed (tie-breaker points) and killing thier opponents! :B):

I hope to be playing in the next one!

If memory serves, the second round was where we had a 2-turn game. And yes, tie-breaker points became very important. The Reptus player achieved very few tie breaker points in the 2nd round, which was his downfall. There was a three-way tie for second place: Myself, Darkspawn player, and Reptus player. I had 18 tbp, Darkspawn had 17, and Reptus 11. If he had tried to get more tbp during the second round, he might have taken either 2nd or 3rd instead of 4th!! :wacko:

Just to give everyone forewarning, Warwick and I are already plotting to attempt to have another tournament sometime in late January. On a Saturday this time so people can travel to Tulsa! ::):