Chameleon

Naterstein

:ph34r:

Some of you know by now that I overprimered my miniatures with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer and some of you know that I attempted to strip them with Simple Green, since I have topics on both this week.

Well, I read thru almost all topics on stripping and one member had mentioned something about Chameleon. So I was exchanging some drill bits at HobbyTown USA when I noticed a bottle of Chameleon so I said what the hell and bought it. Put my minis in a tub and covered them with Chameleon, sat down and watch my shows.

Two hours later (bottle recommends 20mins for most paints) I go to the kitchen to scrub down the minis. I pick the minis up and the great, mighty Tamiya fell to my very touch. Sure I had to brush the mini a little, but not nearly as long as when I used SG (BTW 3 minis had soaked for 36hours in SG).

I cleaned ALL 26 horribly primered minis (my fault) in less than an hour. While 3 were mostly clean from the SG (which I took me an 2hours of scrubbing to get 90% of the primer off), all turned out almost immaculate. They did not tarnish nearly as much as they did with SG, infact soem look brand new.

So drop all your other strippers, go out to Hobbytown (or online) and get you some Chameleon. This stuff smacks Tamiya 7 ways to Sunday and doesnt even blink. I swear by this stuff now... no I fully recommend this stuff now. Swearing is reserved for Simple Green.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Easy-Off oven cleaner works, but don't use the "Fume-Free" kind. Been using it for a long time now to strip paint, it's cheap, readily available and works very well.

I spray it all over what I need to strip, metal, plastic or resin...in a small tupperware tub. I then seal the tub for a while, couple of hours at least then come back with a toothbrush and hot running water with soap and the paint falls right off pretty much.

Wear a respirator at all times though, when spraying and when cleaning, the fumes are nasty.

Castrol Super Clean doesn't eat plastic either & works pretty darn good. Espically on Testy's enamels (I have older model bodies that I used Testy's on & I've strip them down in a day with fresh CSC)

thanks for the info on Chameleon, my local hobby shop has both types up there & was thinkin of getting a bottle to try out. What type did you use?? One is a gel the other is a liquid

thx

RM

Will have to see if I can find Chameleon over here. At the moment I am using a product called CitriStrip. It is pretty good at stripping metal models and for plastics I just use brake fluid if I can't find anything else. Works pretty well and not too much effort.

My understanding of Simple Green is that it works best within a certain window- let it sit too long and it starts to lose its effectiveness, and the paint 'regrips' to a certain degree.

As for Castrol SuperClean, I've used that myself for years. But there was an issue- I kept getting slimy hands. Didn't know what it was. Then someone explained that CSC has this fun tendency to turn the fat in your skin to soap. To say nothing of other hazards from it. I've given up on the purple stuff now.

Wraith--

that is your skin, btw

I just use chemical resistant gloves when I work with CSC, not to mention you don't want to use it on metal anyways, as it'll eat it. Perfectly safe for plastics thou (speakin of which need to scrub down a couple car bodies I have soaking in there, ha ha)

I've never gotten Simple Green to work as well as everyone else say, then again I can't stand that smell (my grandmother always used that when I spent my summers as a kid at her house, helpin her around that house, made hate that stuff to this day), thus I don't like to be around it.

RM