Spell and SA compilation

dewen

Are there any plans to compile a list of all the spells and SA into a pdf or download on ReaperGames.com? I have the Nefsokar and Overlords book. Both have new spells (Mage and Cleric) to be used by other factions. It would be nice to be able to obtain these without purchasing the book. Has anyone done it on there own?

- de

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this really doesn't make much sense for Reaper to make this info available in pdf form for free when they are trying to charge for in the books, does it? It would be in direction violation of copyright law for someone to do it on their own and make it available to others, unless Reaper were to give their permission. Since it doesn't make good business sense to do this either, don't expect to see it. People may not like purchasing faction books on factions that they don't play only for a few spells or abilities, but then again, the faction book material is optional. I'd rather have seen non faction-specific stuff released via an avenue other than the faction books, but that was not the path Reaper chose to go at the time the books were created. The bottom line is that if you want to take advantage of any optional material, be prepared to lay out the cash to do so. *shrug*

~v

How about just a list of the names of SA's, spells and other stuff that's available to other factions and the name of the book it's from. I mean I hear all this talk about lightning bolt, but I don't want to buy all the faction books to get it, so which one is it in?

How about just a list of the names of SA's, spells and other stuff that's available to other factions and the name of the book it's from. I mean I hear all this talk about lightning bolt, but I don't want to buy all the faction books to get it, so which one is it in?

The Nefsokar book .

I don't think the Faction Books are optional anymore. I am pretty sure that once information is released in a faction book it is forced as the standard. Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by optional, Shak.

I think there is no harm in Reaper sharing the Generic Spells or compiling the special abilities. They share all the model stats, and they used to have all the generic equipment and spells up.

A few reasons I think

1. I use Life transfer, and I've played a game or two where people feel kind of cheated that I used a spell they didn't know about.

2. It's easy to read the spells out of a friends book anyways, but it's getting frustrating to look in 5 different books when trying to figure out what spells you want on your Mage or Cleric. How many points is Disenchant?... Is it in the Reven book?... Where's the Nefsokar book?... OK, it's 25 points.

I feel differently about Faction Specific Items, such as Nef's Plagues you always know what book those are in, and only a single faction cares to look for them. Same with faction equipment and faction fluff; I'll drop the dough on my faction.

I just don't think adding abilities to other faction books is convincing people to buy them when they don't need them. It's just making the game confusing.

Just like everything else, it is far Easier to have everything in a central location. I think this is why reaper has their cards online, and it's why the books are divided by factions, to keep most of the information centralized.

I just see it falling apart with all of the books coming out and we now have a pool of spells that half of the people new to the game can't find, but are being used against them. This is not good.

Geeze, I've been writing stupidely long posts.

If I ran the universe, all the rules would be free and Reaper would just sell minis.

Think about that next time you're voting for a new King of the Universe!

PS

Where does fluff fit into that picture ::P:

I actually agree with you on this, do you need a running mate?

If I ran the universe, all the rules would be free and Reaper would just sell minis.

Think about that next time you're voting for a new King of the Universe!

PS

Where does fluff fit into that picture ::P:

If it's not made of pewter, it's free! Free I say, free!

I actually agree with you on this, do you need a running mate?

I'm sure I'll need vassals and lackeys. We'll work you into the organization somewhere...

PS

Well, if you check my last post, I do happen to agree with the idea that the "generic" spells and abilities from the faction books would have been better served being released in another manor. But, since that isn't the case... I wouldn't expect Reaper to shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to making profit on the books by releasing materials that people would otherwise pay for.

And Adam, I really do mean that they are optional. No one is *forced* to get faction books, even the people who play those factions. As was mentioned, the data cards are kept up to date on the website, so they are not an issue. This makes the entire contents of every faction book optional; if you want to take advantage of the materials contained therein, then you make the choice to spend the $$ to buy the book. As for using spells like Lightning Bolt, I agree that it can be a nasty surprise to face a new spell for the first time, especially if you are unaware of the capabilities beforehand. However, it *is* optional for you to buy the book it is in; your options are to not spend the money and take the risk, or spend the money and know the tactical capabilities of your opponent. You may not like the options, but they are options nonetheless.

As for an opponent using a spell or ability from a faction book, I do not think it is unreasonable to ask your opponent to present such materials to you at the battle. If they can't, then they can't use it. That's just fair.

I would love to see these items from the faction books available in another format, especially some sort of compendium for the non faction-specific stuff, but the reality is that it makes no business sense whatsoever for Reaper to release *optional* info that they are trying to get paid for in a free format that everyone can download. Denton doesn't get that cold... :devil:

~v

Thanks for the clarification.

I see what you mean by the book isn't forced, but it's walking that line where your army get's stronger with ever dollar you spend. I think that what you have said is right, but I fear it's for all the wrong reasons...

I guess we all agree it just goes without saying that Spells meant for everyone, should be presented to everyone equally.

Keeping up the current strategy might drive away new players also. I know for a fact that the 4-6 people that have started playing would NOT be happy if I told them to see all of the spells they should buy 6 books. Heck if I told them that from the get go, they probably would never have picked up the game.

At least new Special Abilities are recompiled in each book.

I don't know how many time when I used to play 40k , that I would come up against an opponent with the new Codex and spring something new on me . Reaper are a very good company for giving us a good product , but saying that doesn't mean they don't have to make money . I will soon have all the books and will continue to purchase the Faction books but if people are unable to get something just to find a small piece of information due to financial reasons , why not form a syndicate or club to purchase the books . I and several of my friends have done this for years with many different game systems . Pool your resources .

I agree that having some of the newer material in the faction books and nowhere else can be a bit annoying. One thing that I am doing since I am the guy that has gotten Warlord popular in my area is getting a copy of all the faction books so that my friends can borrow them and read up what they need.

I know it can be tough, but I am sure that Reaper are not doing this just to make more money. I think if we all do our part to pass information along to those that don't know the new spells or new SAs then it will be less of a problem overall.

Like Brushmaster said. Pool your resources and share the books among the club members.

Well, this really doesn't make much sense for Reaper to make this info available in pdf form for free when they are trying to charge for in the books, does it? It would be in direction violation of copyright law for someone to do it on their own and make it available to others, unless Reaper were to give their permission.
There are more to books than new generic spells and abilities. Fluff, scenarios, faction specific spells, faction specific equipment ... I am only suggesting that generic spells and abilities are made available as the model stats are. If you recall, there used to be spell cards on ReaperGames.com in both generic and faction specific.

It would be in direction violation of copyright law for someone to do it on their own and make it available to others, unless Reaper were to give their permission.
I am in no way advocating this. I own three books. I would like to see Reaper publish these as they do model stats.

I see what you mean by the book isn't forced, but it's walking that line where your army get's stronger with ever dollar you spend. I think that what you have said is right, but I fear it's for all the wrong reasons...

I guess we all agree it just goes without saying that Spells meant for everyone, should be presented to everyone equally.

Keeping up the current strategy might drive away new players also. I know for a fact that the 4-6 people that have started playing would NOT be happy if I told them to see all of the spells they should buy 6 books. Heck if I told them that from the get go, they probably would never have picked up the game.

At least new Special Abilities are recompiled in each book.

Exactly ::):

I am in no way advocating this. I own three books. I would like to see Reaper publish these as they do model stats.

I own all of the books, except for the just-released O'lords book. I balked against getting them for a very long time, especially after I picked up the Crusader book and discovered it was mostly "fluff" or materials that were otherwise available for free (i.e. the datacards for all the models not covered in the core book). My primary motivation to buy the book became the spells and SAs that were only available within that faction book. Reaper got my money because I decided I wanted to have that material available to me; if it were available for free on the Warlord site, I would not have bought the book, hence a lost sale. It sure would be convenient for that info to be available in another format (especially one that is free), but there is little business sense in doing so. Last I heard, Reaper had no intention of releasing any sort of supplement, let alone a free one, of the non faction-specific materials from those books. I can't really say I blame them either.

Adam, I'd say that the faction books really don't make you any stronger. They do give you additional options, so that may let you fare better against specific armies, and they also let you be more prepared for what your opponent may have in store for you, but it is really a matter of knowledge rather than power. I played without any faction books against armies taking advantage of the books, and still fared well. My faction has no book, as you are well aware, and I continue to be successful without a book, and without taking generic spells from other faction books. I'd say that makes a pretty good case that the books are optional material, even if they are official. As for those people you mentioned not being happy about buying a bunch of books to see all the spells, I'd suggest they need a reality check. Take a look at nearly every other game of this sort, and include RPGs too: you pay for supplements. If you want "everything", then you need to be prepared to pay for "everything".

Let's face it; we're all spoiled by the amount of free info that Reaper gives us already. If you've seen the boxed starter sets, they include a quick-play guide that basically gives you a RAGE-lite version of the Warlord rules. Some of them have even had quick reference guides for the core book spells. Try getting that much of a game for free from anyone else...

~v