Scrye Shot, Blazer and Multiple Attacks

rcrosby

So let me get this straight, this means that the new Elven Warlord along with a troop of archers can now ignore terrain while shooting further than anyone else in the game? So I suppose that if you play on a table with lots of terrain you’re just screwed as it will take you a couple of turns to get to them and your really screwed if the elves get on a cliff or building top where it’s harder to get at them.

Except in a time-limited tournament format where the Elves don't need to be worried about being run over by a mass of grunts, I don't think this is going to be much more than an annoyance that will ultimately lose. The main benefit to the Elves is the ability to hide in terrain to avoid being shot back at by enemy archers - a good thing for coming out ahead on casualties when time is called after turn 2 or 3. A pie plate of doom inflicts much less damage than individual shooting which means they will be much more vulnerable to being run over in a longer game if relying on this stratagem.

Rich

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are also many things to get around this tactic. Those things include, Flying solos, Flying grunts, Flying spellcasters, Burrowing solos/grunts, Fast moving solos, Cavalry, Models with Defensive shot, and ANY combination of the above.

I would love for someone who was thinking this move is horribly overpowered to bring it to the board, only for it to foiled in the first round by Sphinx with a firestorm... or a small troop of Called... Or a mage/cleric combo with teleport... The counters are limitless and every army will probably have one without even trying or preparing for it.

That's why I want Reaper to put out more Burrow models!! I want an all Burrow army, dammit!! :lol:

The farthest the elves can shoot is 36".

Don't forget that Volley adds an extra 6" to the range.

Shak was already adding the extra 6 inches to the range. Elf archers have a range of 30 inches, and utilizing Volley gives them a 36 inch range. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

There are also many things to get around this tactic. Those things include, Flying solos, Flying grunts, Flying spellcasters, Burrowing solos/grunts, Fast moving solos, Cavalry, Models with Defensive shot, and ANY combination of the above.

I would love for someone who was thinking this move is horribly overpowered to bring it to the board, only for it to foiled in the first round by Sphinx with a firestorm... or a small troop of Called... Or a mage/cleric combo with teleport... The counters are limitless and every army will probably have one without even trying or preparing for it.

I can't really talk about any other faction than dwarves as that is what I've played the most and Reven only a couple of times but I wouldn't think a flying anything wouldn't do well against elves, for my Griffon they would just shoot it out of the sky or at least damage it enough that it wouldn't be effective once it reached them. Maybe if you put speed on it and they were close enough then it might have a chance. As for terrain, the boards we play one are not completely cluttered as there are fire lanes and what not but there are also buildings and cliffs that if an enemy were in you'd have to climb up or go around and by that time any low armored units such as archers, swiftaxes, and mages would be dead. Let’s not forget at 1501+ the elves still have enough points to make a couple of speed bumps. I just hope this doesn't make it so the only survivable troops I can field are the higher armored ones. I'll have to play against some elves and see what lives and what doesn't. So from a dwarf’s perspective 36" is a long way to travel while getting shot at with no relief from any terrain.

Flying Models often have decent DV to start, plus when airborne, they have the the bonus to DV. Their movement is high so they cover a lot of ground.

The other important thing to remember. If the Archers are spending all their time trying to shoot down your birdies, they are not spending time shooting at your men running across the ground. Even if you lose the Griffon over 2 round of arrow fire, that's only 174 points. If they spent all those shots over 2 rounds shooting at your soldiers, you'd be losing a hell of a lot more points.

What qwyk said is pretty much dead on. I want to say again though, that if 900+ points of archers are shooting at a 170+ point model, then you win. That's a great trade.

Not to mention you probably have more cards than your enemy if they drop 900 on a single troop. So getting your good ol' griffen into melee round 1 or 2 with the archers shouldn't be too hard. Start it at 12", move it 11" with Ranger, that gets you pretty darn close, and you can easily double move + charge to reach some models. And with DV 13 he should be safe from most shots, even in point blank.

Also most factions have things to help with movement. Dwarves with musicians are much faster than those without. For 15pts it's very effective.

For the building thing. If your elven opponents are cramming all of their archers into a building with the door shut, perhaps it's time for a bit of a terrain shift. Don't let him put buildings in the deployment zone. It sounds more like player cheese than it does a rules problem.

If they are moving into the building and closing the door behind them, then that's probably a round or two that you spend killing everyone else in their army. It also is going to trap all of his models in a small place.

Am I reading your example right?

@Wildbill

Darkspawn looks to be stacking up to field an all flight army. I imagine it's only a matter of time before all your burrow dreams come true.

From the Elf's point of view.

Ranged vs Airborne units.

From a elf's perspective I say law of averages. Say out of every 20 shots you get two 10s. Most fling units are hurting after two hits and slows it down. Your opponent must ether heal the flier, sacrifice it, or protect it. For a your opponents speed is your bane. If you use a flying unit to face elves bring in other fast moving units to make him split his fire or be overrun. A griffin and a couple of bear riders work well as a team to draw fire away from the charging slower units.

Borrowed units

I will have to start caring Rock Friends again. ;) Borrowed units can breakup formations of ranged units and even chase them around. They have driven me away from covering units and have made me spend too much time dispersing my ranged units to only let him get one. IF Airborne units can get in range it works for them to.